crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    Do Asian imports ever make it in the Majors? Trying to think of some, bar Matsui.
    hideo nomo - 123 career wins, 2 no hitters (only pitcher to ever throw no hitters at coors field and camden yard)

chan ho park - 124 career wins, 1 time all star

takashi saito - best closer in the game in 2007... 39 saves 1.40 era 0.715 whip, while he was 37.

and of course, ichiro.

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm happy with this move I had enough of cj blowing games. Nolan knows what he's doing we have gone to the top after being bottom feeders for years

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Darvish has skills everyone will know his name in 2012

the scab man
    the scab man's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Even if he doesnt sign with the rangers i dont think theyll care.....i mean they only spent $50+ million just to talk to him

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

JimBowdenESPNxm JIM BOWDEN
    Darvish deal is done and confirmed

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

6 yr 60 mil

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLeafOfBets View Post
    6 yr 60 mil
    So then in all they are paying around $112 million over 6 years. Seems like quite a sum for an untested commodity.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    hideo nomo - 123 career wins, 2 no hitters (only pitcher to ever throw no hitters at coors field and camden yard)

chan ho park - 124 career wins, 1 time all star

takashi saito - best closer in the game in 2007... 39 saves 1.40 era 0.715 whip, while he was 37.

and of course, ichiro.
    None of those pitchers would be worth 50 million at any point in time, and Park is Korean. Jap pitchers do flame out quick. I'm very surprised we're seeing this resurface. Everyone said Dice-K was 'not your average Japanese pitcher' too. One big year to get everyone excited, then the league slowly figures them out after that.

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

The difference is, Dice K entered the MLB in his prime, at his best, he only had one way to go and it's to go down... Yu Darvish is MUCH younger and much more to learner, so to the rangers he can be worth looking at..

He's got Greg Maddux like control, he's young and we know he's talented.. the question is can he throw in the majors... It's always a gamble doesn't matter if it's japanese pitcher or not, I do agree that the risk is much higher but I do think that Yu Darvish can be a top tier pitcher for the Rangers..

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Darvish a ranger

Done deal prince will be next

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Darvish will have a surprisingly dominating rookie season and win 13-15 games for the Rangers this year. Two factors that will separate him for other asian pitchers his imposing physique( 6'5 reminds you of a dominating Randy Johnson) and more importantly he's got the swagger and mindset of an ace type pitcher. The mental strength is a major component missing from all previous asian pitchers. Everyone already knows he's got fantastic stuff or else the Rangers wouldnt have gave up all that money to even talk to him.

I wouldnt be surprised if he became the Rangers ace in a couple of years.

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

So far so good,

Rangers are 5-1 in Darvishs last 6 starts.

ArMaNiBoYnYc
    ArMaNiBoYnYc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 342

Line a little high considering how he pitched against cleveland. Although i think texas prevails and they bomb wilson for tweeting napolis cell number during spring training

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Setting records:

Yu Darvish (14-9, 4.29) is trying to beat Tampa Bay for the second time in 11 days and win his third consecutive start. He extended his single-season franchise record for victories by a rookie Monday at Kansas City, retiring the first 17 batters he faced in an 8-4 victory and allowed three runs in seven innings.

First 12