iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Reds get Latos...

When are they gonna learn that flyball pitchers won't do well there

Bad Trade, unless he becomes dominant again...

milkncereal
    milkncereal's Avatar Become A Pro!

"But his slightly-below average ground ball rate suggests he can survive moving to a noted homer dome like the Great American Ballpark. He is just as good on the road (3.26 FIP) as he is at home in the cozy Petco confines (3.06 FIP in 2011.)"

plus he has a 2.something era in GABP. It will be his health if it's a good trade.

also 43.7% fly balls for latos isnt a eric milton type 57%...

iifold
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by milkncereal View Post
    "But his slightly-below average ground ball rate suggests he can survive moving to a noted homer dome like the Great American Ballpark. He is just as good on the road (3.26 FIP) as he is at home in the cozy Petco confines (3.06 FIP in 2011.)"

plus he has a 2.something era in GABP. It will be his health if it's a good trade.

also 43.7% fly balls for latos isnt a eric milton type 57%...
    Past stats mean nothing...

There was a time Pedro was the greatest pitcher ever, and there was a time he was a bum...

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8792

this guy used to be good too

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    Past stats mean nothing...

There was a time Pedro was the greatest pitcher ever, and there was a time he was a bum...

yikes. this is a JJ level stupid statement.

iifold
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    yikes. this is a JJ level stupid statement.
    Reds fan or Math Dork??

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Anything is better than Gascan Volquez

milkncereal

Past stats mean nothing... There was a time Pedro was the greatest pitcher ever, and there was a time he was a bum...
    past stats mean nothing? but a wrong opinion that latos is a fly ball pitcher means everything? Even if your opinion is right you would be contradicting yourself. Past stats dont mean anything?, If your opinion was right about him being a flyball pitcher, maybe he will magically turn into a great groundball sinker pitcher since past years performance has no bearing on the future??????

give me some stats that he will suck in gabp versus another stadium. He has high k's, home/road stats even, and has a great era in GABP (granted low sample size).

Now if you want to say hes just not an ace and that his velocity has gone from 94 (08) to 93 to 92 last year, has had breakdown injury issues, a little immaturish.... you might have a solid point there.

Pedro martinez's stats follow a pretty typical baseball player's career....its called a bell curve. Starts of average or below average and exponentially goes up till the player's prime then levels off for a year or two and then curves down till they are an old pedro martinez pitching for the phillies.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

WTF???!!!! Now that Latos is gone and Heath Bell? The Padres have nobody to be the face of the Padres! Jumping ship to another team for 2012.

Gonad
    Gonad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6697

Don't know that much about Latos, but the Reds sure as hell gave up the store to get him...

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

The kid has tremendous potential... However, he need a 24/7 personal psychologist

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6838

Reds fan. I like it.

milkncereal

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    The kid has tremendous potential... However, he need a 24/7 personal psychologist
    votto can probably give him a number or two lol

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Padres got a really nice haul here

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Padres got a really nice haul here
    They sure did, but they so far all the prospects have not come through as expected.
    Kyle Blanks
    Will Venable
    Chase Headley
    Nick Hundley
    Anthony Rizzo

Only good trade the Padres ever had was Adrian Gonzalez but we still struggle to win something

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1461

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Anything is better than Gascan Volquez
    I don't know. Playing in that stadium next year is going to help him big time .

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    They sure did, but they so far all the prospects have not come through as expected.
    Kyle Blanks
    Will Venable
    Chase Headley
    Nick Hundley
    Anthony Rizzo

Only good trade the Padres ever had was Adrian Gonzalez but we still struggle to win something

Blanks has battled injuries and he still has promise. Headley hasn't been bad at all. Hundley and Venable weren't expected to be anything special. Their ball park doesn't do their hitters any favors. Talk now is Rizzo going to the Cubs in a package for Matt Garza. (I'm not a Padres fan, but I follow baseball 365 :-) )

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

When are they gonna learn that flyball pitchers won't do well there

Bad Trade, unless he becomes dominant again...
    Latos was nagged by injuries the first part of the year. He was a 2nd half stud. This trade will help both teams. Outside of Boxberger, all of the pieces the Reds moved were roadblocked. Alonso by Votto (let's be honest, he wasn't moving to the OF), Grandal by Mesoraco, and Volquez by about 3-4 other SPs. They were even talking about moving Volquez to the bullpen. I'm very interested to see how they use Chapman now. I've never been a fan of the way Dusty Baker burns his pitchers into the ground, so we'll see how all this works out. They're only a year removed from winning the division. With the Cards losing Pujols and the Brewers about to lose Fielder, you'd have to slot the Reds in as the favorites right now.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    I don't know. Playing in that stadium next year is going to help him big time .
    When you walk the leadoff hitter every inning then where you pitch doesn't matter. As a Reds fan I'm glad Volquez is gone but don't like the trade overall. I'm a little upset with Votto for not being willing to move to LF to give Alonso a chance. Votto is almost guaranteed to pull a Pujols and bolt for the most $$ in 2014. Alonso could've hit .300 with 20-25 bombs in Great American Smallpark imo. This isn't a good deal for Alonso either because alot of his power goes the other way (like Votto) and I doubt thats going to play out well in Petco?

Mr Handicapable

Latos was nagged by injuries the first part of the year. He was a 2nd half stud. This trade will help both teams. Outside of Boxberger, all of the pieces the Reds moved were roadblocked. Alonso by Votto (let's be honest, he wasn't moving to the OF), Grandal by Mesoraco, and Volquez by about 3-4 other SPs. They were even talking about moving Volquez to the bullpen. I'm very interested to see how they use Chapman now. I've never been a fan of the way Dusty Baker burns his pitchers into the ground, so we'll see how all this works out. They're only a year removed from winning the division. With the Cards losing Pujols and the Brewers about to lose Fielder, you'd have to slot the Reds in as the favorites right now.
    I live in Indy and kept hearing from all my Cubs friends how bad Baker was and how he ruined Pryor and Wood but I haven't seen it and I watch nearly every Reds game. Baker sucks for completely different reasons though..lol!

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Padres and A's are both triple A teams as far as I'm concerned.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Blanks has battled injuries and he still has promise. Headley hasn't been bad at all. Hundley and Venable weren't expected to be anything special. Their ball park doesn't do their hitters any favors. Talk now is Rizzo going to the Cubs in a package for Matt Garza. (I'm not a Padres fan, but I follow baseball 365 :-) )
    Sending Rizzo to the Cubs will put him back in the minors. Sounds like Epstein regrest sending Rizzo off but still has faith in him as a prospect. I know Epstein wants a power bat at first base. If the Padres send Rizzo and get Garza, we are gonna get a lot of angry Padres fans who were hoping for Rizzo to replace AGonz's place at first.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

This is what? Latos' 3rd year in the bigs?

You guys don't know anything about him yet.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

The Reds really owned Latos. Especially Joey Vatto, so if you can't beat them, join them.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

IIfold you are sharp but I have to disagree. Latos is a stud. Great move by the Reds. Guy is going into his 3rd year in the bigs. Had a slow start last season but he has great stuff and his upside is through the roof.

Mr Handicapable

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    IIfold you are sharp but I have to disagree. Latos is a stud. Great move by the Reds. Guy is going into his 3rd year in the bigs. Had a slow start last season but he has great stuff and his upside is through the roof.

The guy could be really good but the Reds still gave up too much. Votto needs a big righty stick behind him and the Reds don't have the trading chips anymore? Chris Heisey would've been an improvement over the scrubs in the Pads outfield and trade Alonso/Homer Bailey for that big bat.

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

why the hell did they give up soooooo much!

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

who did the Reds give up?

Mr Handicapable

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    who did the Reds give up?
    Volquez is a head case but he is fully recovered from Tommy John (clocked anywhere from 94-98 on the fastball) and could be as good as Latos alone if they can get his head straight and get him to throw the ball over the plate.

Alonso is going to be very good hitter....Votto like approach where he fouls the ball off alot and works the pitcher while taking the ball the other way with power.

Grandal = a 1st round pick catcher that skyrocketed up to AAA last year while hitting over .300 with 14 hrs

Boxberger = I haven't seen him but reported throws up to 95 with movement and is looked at as having future closer stuff.

Thats too much for any pitcher not named Justin Verlander!!

milkncereal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post
    The guy could be really good but the Reds still gave up too much. Votto needs a big righty stick behind him and the Reds don't have the trading chips anymore? Chris Heisey would've been an improvement over the scrubs in the Pads outfield and trade Alonso/Homer Bailey for that big bat.
    again the facts the reds gave up 3,4, and 10th specs.

1. Devin Mesoraco, c
    2. Billy Hamilton, ss
    3. Yonder Alonso, 1b/of
    4. Yasmani Grandal, c
    5. Zack Cozart, ss
    6. Daniel Corcino, rhp
    7. Robert Stephenson, rhp
    8. DiDi Gregorius, ss
    9. Todd Frazier, 3b/1b/of
    10. Brad Boxberger, rhp

Mesoraco, and cozart will start for mlb next year, frazier could be a trade chip and hamilton would for sure get blockbuster trade talks started. reds also have 3 first round picks this year to get the minors stocked back up.

iifold
    Update your status

Did I just hear the Reds are gonna trade Travis Wood for for the Cubs pitcher Marshall??

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Did I just hear the Reds are gonna trade Travis Wood for for the Cubs pitcher Marshall??
    It's close. Nothing official yet though.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post
    I live in Indy and kept hearing from all my Cubs friends how bad Baker was and how he ruined Pryor and Wood but I haven't seen it and I watch nearly every Reds game. Baker sucks for completely different reasons though..lol!

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

I would not like this as much. Wood has great potential to be a good LH starter, guy can also hit a bit.

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Yeah, that's rumored... I'd rather keep Travis Wood. I feel like Marshall is way overrated.

12 Last