SteveRyan
    SteveRyan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2995

Psychological impact of Tim Tebow

While going over New England's match vs Denver, it occurred to me that Tim Tebow has something in common with Tiger Woods.

Prior to Tigers sex scandal that left him mentally crippled, he was the most feared man in the PGA. They called it "The Tiger factor".

The mere presence of Tiger Woods at a PGA event (Or any golf event) imposed a strong psychological impact upon the competition. The impact was so strong that it caused players to "Break down" during clutch moments. It even affected those who were playing several holes ahead or behind Tiger....just because they knew that he was there, and that his ability to crush the competition would make things more difficult for them. In the back of their minds, lingered Tiger Woods.

In the NFL, we are witnessing a similar affect with Tim Tebow. There is a lot of confusion surrounding Tebow because it just doesn't seem right for Tebow to be winning these games. How does he do it?? Were not exactly sure, but the fact remains that he is winning these games....over and over again.

The impact is forcing coaches to rethink their game plan against Denver. They are scrambling for a way to stop Tebow, and every player on the team is feeling his presence. Although we cant directly see it, they fear Tim Tebow. In the back of their minds, they fear falling victim to yet another Tebow victory.

I attribute Denvers success over the last few weeks directly to the psychological impact of Tebow. What's interesting about this, is that everyone appears to be oblivious to it! Nobody seems to be talking about it, blogging about it....nothing. Their just talking about Tebow and how lucky he is, how much he sucks, and how this cant continue for another week.

The impact is even affecting sports betters like us. People are loosing their shorts trying to beat this guy. Its like going up to the roulette table and thinking, "Well....red has hit 7 times in a row; blacks gonna hit sometime." Then you bet black and red hits AGAIN. Doesnt seem right, but its happening.

The game vs New England will be interesting. The line for NE is too high to begin with. The books are trying to clean up on this one....and they will because "The Tebow factor" has got the best of em.

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

Tebow is beating below average NFL teams. Some without starting qb's. He has accomplished this for a whopping 2 months. Tiger beat the best players in the world for years. Tebow has teammates to make up for his shortcomings. Tiger beat the entire golfing world by himself. There is a huge difference here. I think you may be right about one thing. Tebow has a physiological effect on someone. That someone is you. It's only 1:45 CST man no need to get fukkd up so early in the day...
    Points Awarded:

Plus573 gave Djstucky 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

D3 Mighty Ducks gave Djstucky 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Landscaper, InTheDrink, and tunaguitar76

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Whats happened has nothing to do with what you're taking about...

It would be like Tiger Woods playing on the Nationwide Tour, and then going to play in a Major (Patriots)

Keep searching though...

SteveRyan

Quote Originally Posted by Djstucky View Post
    Tebow is beating below average NFL teams. Some without starting qb's. He has accomplished this for a whopping 2 months. Tiger beat the best players in the world for years. Tebow has teammates to make up for his shortcomings. Tiger beat the entire golfing world by himself. There is a huge difference here. I think you may be right about one thing. Tebow has a physiological effect on someone. That someone is you. It's only 1:45 CST man no need to get fukkd up so early in the day...
    I said that we are witnessing a similar affect. Lets not try to actually compare the success of Tiger Woods to that of Tebow because there is really no comparison. Regardless, the NFL fears Denver because nobody wants to fall victim to yet another Tebow victory. It is affecting the way these teams play against Denver and it's apparent to me that nobody really understands it.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

A co-worker said Tebow is winning because he has God on his side. Not sure that's totally the case but I thought it was an interesting statement.

CK
    CK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

I know what you mean - sports at an elite level is a very mental game, and pro athletes use sports psychologists frequently.

The effect you speak of definitely occurs - in sports especially, positive and negative swings and momentum are a huge factor. Wins give you confidence, and being able to believe in yourself during crunch time can make a huge difference at an elite level. The opposite can also be true.

Tebow's belief in God in some ways works the same way. In the 4th quarter when things are close, he believes God will help him, and it gives him the ultimate confidence. He doesn't hesitate, he isn't nervous, he just goes out and plays. The fact that he's won the past 7 of 8 games in his mind, confirms it even more. That can be very powerful. But in my opinion, only on the margin. That belief can't help you when you're overmatched, the way I think the Broncos are overmatched against the Patriotsl, but this can definitely become a big factor if the game is close in the 4th Quarter.

In my opinion though, the Patriots are too experienced to let it get to them - they will execute from the start, score early, and put the game out of reach.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

what happens if den beats the pats? what will tebow haters say then?

SteveRyan

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    I know what you mean - sports at an elite level is a very mental game, and pro athletes use sports psychologists frequently.

The effect you speak of definitely occurs - in sports especially, positive and negative swings and momentum are a huge factor. Wins give you confidence, and being able to believe in yourself during crunch time can make a huge difference at an elite level. The opposite can also be true.

Tebow's belief in God in some ways works the same way. In the 4th quarter when things are close, he believes God will help him, and it gives him the ultimate confidence. He doesn't hesitate, he isn't nervous, he just goes out and plays. The fact that he's won the past 7 of 8 games in his mind, confirms it even more. That can be very powerful. But in my opinion, only on the margin. That belief can't help you when you're overmatched, the way I think the Broncos are overmatched against the Patriotsl, but this can definitely become a big factor if the game is close in the 4th Quarter.

In my opinion though, the Patriots are too experienced to let it get to them - they will execute from the start, score early, and put the game out of reach.
    Good post. The more I think about it, Tebow does have a big psychological advantage when the score margins are slim late in the game. It gives him the confidence to win and intimidates his opponents.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post
    . Not sure that's totally the case .
    But you think it might be PART of the case???

mikeewyn
    mikeewyn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2651

Lmfao.!!!!!

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

If it's a 3 point game late in the 4th quarter, it's panic mode for the opposing team guaranteed! Tebow is probably the calmess players I've seen since Elway in crunch time.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Quote Originally Posted by Djstucky View Post
    This.

Why's is always Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebow? What about Prater hitting a 59 yard FG to tie the game up? Oh right, he's just the kicker so it doesn't matter because Tebow got him that 59 yard FG? That was 2 yards away from being an NFL record for the longest kick, Prater nails it, but yet its still ALL ABOUT TEBOW.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Quote Originally Posted by D3 Mighty Ducks View Post
    This.

Why's is always Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebow? What about Prater hitting a 59 yard FG to tie the game up? Oh right, he's just the kicker so it doesn't matter because Tebow got him that 59 yard FG? That was 2 yards away from being an NFL record for the longest kick, Prater nails it, but yet its still ALL ABOUT TEBOW.
    Because if Tebow doesn't get them him position to make that kick, everything else is irrelevant. The kicker just needs to do one thing, kick it, it's that simple. If Tebow gets sack, loses yardage, throw picks, they lose all them games.

Chimneyfish
    Chimneyfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

Once again George is way ahead of the curve

SteveRyan

Quote Originally Posted by D3 Mighty Ducks View Post
    This.

You are correct. Obviously, we do need to give credit to Denver as well because as a team they are making things happen.

Regardless, I just wanted to point out that there is a psychological factor here that is playing a significant role in the outcome of these games.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

What a bunch of nonsense. You act like no weak QB has ever won 7 out of 8 games before. His predecessor Orton did it with Denver (started 6-0), before it fell apart. Were people talking about the Orton Effect?

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post

Because if Tebow doesn't get them him position to make that kick, everything else is irrelevant. The kicker just needs to do one thing, kick it, it's that simple. If Tebow gets sack, loses yardage, throw picks, they lose all them games.
    Ok I get that part. But its not like Tebow got them in significant position for a chip shot FG. He got him team to 44 yard line and then it was 4th down so they had to take the kick. It was a 59 yard field goal, your're missing what I am trying to say. If it was the 3rd quarter with 10 minutes left, Denver would of punted it. Instead they were down 3 with the game on the line so they had to take the 59 yard FG that Prater nailed. All Tebow did on that drive was got 1 first down, a total of 19 yards.

Then later on in OT the game was pretty much in the bag for the Bears until Denver's DEFENSE forced the fumble when the Bears would of just had a chip shot FG to win the game. But of course, it was all about Tebow driving down the field and giving his kicker a 51 yard field goal attempt. You guys are all fukked and need to get off Tebow's cack and look at the bigger picture. I'm not Tebow hater nor am I fan of him because he's not that skilled at his position. Sure, he has the poise and he's been clutch by not turning the balls over. But to say Tebow is single handily winning games for the Bronco's isn't true.

SteveRyan

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    What a bunch of nonsense. You act like no weak QB has ever won 7 out of 8 games before. His predecessor Orton did it with Denver (started 6-0), before it fell apart. Were people talking about the Orton Effect?
    Bad example.

Orton was not a ROOKIE. He spent 4 seasons with the Bears prior to Denver. He didn't take over mid season either. Of course, people weren't taking about it; they were talking about the whole team and what factors, including the QB, are getting them the wins. Nothing unusual to speak of in terms of Orton winning 6 games in a row.

With Tebow however, the circumstances and results are extremely unusual. That is why everyone is talking about it. In case you haven't noticed, its causing a sensation. It's making a difference to the outcomes of these games. I'm surprised that these sports commentators have not mentioned anything about the metal impact it has on the coaches and players.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRyan View Post
    Bad example.

Orton was not a ROOKIE. He spent 4 seasons with the Bears prior to Denver. He didn't take over mid season either. Of course, people weren't taking about it; they were talking about the whole team and what factors, including the QB, are getting them the wins. Nothing unusual to speak of in terms of Orton winning 6 games in a row.

With Tebow however, the circumstances and results are extremely unusual. That is why everyone is talking about it. In case you haven't noticed, its causing a sensation. It's making a difference to the outcomes of these games. I'm surprised that these sports commentators have not mentioned anything about the metal impact it has on the coaches and players.
    OK then, better yet, how about the fact that Orton led the Bears to EIGHT wins in a row as a ROOKIE? Of course it wasn't Orton causing the wins then, just as it's not primarily Tebow now. Tebow will ultimately fail, just like Orton, who is probably still better than Tebow anyway.

Also, Tebow's not a rookie. He played in 7 games last season (5 of them losses).

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

people are just buying into this GOD nonsense

losing to tebow is like losing to ur little bro
    u kno u are better than him, but hes beaten all of ur friends and u are next
    so ur doing things that u dont normally do
    fumbles, ints, penalties, blown coverages, blown assignments

if u play defense and run the ball, u give urself a chance to win at the end
    thats wat weak teams do, and denver has done that very very well
    they have hit heads 6/7 games in a row now
    it would not surprise me at all if he loses his next 7

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

didnt vince young do something similar as a rookie???

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tebow is a hamburger. If you coached an NFL team who would you rather play against in the Superbowl: Timmy Tebow or Tom Brady?

tunaguitar76
    tunaguitar76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 895

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRyan View Post
    Bad example.

Orton also never won the Heisman trophy or two national championships. with those credentials, he should at least be able to do what Orton did with the same team.
    Points Awarded:

ACoochy gave tunaguitar76 350 SBR Point(s) for this post.