No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Am I the only one who thinks the Clip Joint gave up way too much?

I like Paul, but he's not exactly the healthiest cat in the world. You give up a budding star in Gordon, a raw talent in Aminu, a serviceable center in Kaman and a draft pick that could very well end up being someone like Harrison Barnes.

I get the "big splash" of the deal for LAC, but it seems like this might wind up being a vintage Clipper swing and miss when we write the books on this trade someday.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I think the Hornets got screwed on this one.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Do you guys realize how many good young black athletes are out there???

Why do you think they didn't pay Forte...

These guys are a diamond dozen...

It is not 1954 people...

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Kaman is a bust.

Aminu wont be shit.

Gordon will be a good player, still needs a few years ibut wont ever be a player to take over a game.

Clippers want to win Now, and i think they made the right move.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    I guess it depends on how good Gordon winds up being, and what happens with the draft pick.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

The whole idea here is to combine Paul and Griffin and let it fly.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

IMO the Clips did well. It's kind of like ATT acquiring Tmobile. T Mobile isnt worth that price but to ATT it has big impact. Chris Paul will make the bigs worth more. In LA I don't think that would have been the case. Penetrating PGs can do more when they are complementing Bigs instead of SG who want the ball in half court sets.

I wonder how well Butler will come back after his injury.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

It also depends on how well the Timberwolves do this year. On the chances of that #1 pick being a lottery pick or not.

Hornets side is for the future, Clippers side is for right now. Good trade for both.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Will Paul stay healthy?

I guess that's the $64,000 question.

BestPlay2day
    BestPlay2day's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5087

Pick from the Wolves that the Clippers traded will probably be a top 5 pick in a very good draft. I think the Clippers gave up too much for Paul who might only be there 2 years.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Kaman is a bust.

Aminu wont be shit.

Gordon will be a good player, still needs a few years ibut wont ever be a player to take over a game.

Kaman is not a bust. He's a former all star that got hurt.

Watch what N.O. gets for him.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

how is it a bad trade?

gordon will be a ufa in 2 years and wouldn't have returned to clippers. kaman is a free agent next season and can re-sign with clips if they want.

if paul stays healthy they make the playoffs next 2 seasons and donald makes tons of money.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    Do you guys realize how many good young black athletes are out there??? Why do you think they didn't pay Forte... These guys are a diamond dozen... It is not 1954 people...
    A dime a dozen? This is not the NFL chief. The NBA is the most selective league in the entire world.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    A dime a dozen? This is not the NFL chief. The NBA is the most selective league in the entire world.
    What do you think about this trade?

Clips taking a pretty big gamble on Paul's knees not being a problem, given the potential of Gordon and the future value of that draft pick.

Goat Milk

The Clippers are now contenders to win the West. The only problem I see is just way too many guards in rotation that need the ball in their hands. Billups and Mo Williams have the ability to adjust seeing that they are excellent spot up shooters. Butler likes to get that iso on the baseline. It's going to be interesting that's for sure. A bunch of leaders on this team.

As for Eric Gordan, he is a good pure scorer, but the clippers did nothing last year with him being a 23 ppg scorer. He's not a good distributor of the ball and he's pretty undersized at the 2. Your right though that they are giving up a lot in that if they don't win in the next 2 years, they are done, because Paul will probably be gone and Williams Butler and Billups will all be retired probably.

iifold
    Update your status

Did Chris Johnson Have A Career Year Last Year??

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

The Clippers are now contenders to win the West. The only problem I see is just way too many guards in rotation that need the ball in their hands. Billups and Mo Williams have the ability to adjust seeing that they are excellent spot up shooters. Butler likes to get that iso on the baseline. It's going to be interesting that's for sure. A bunch of leaders on this team.
    How are they going to juggle Paul and Billups?

Not sure they have the frontcourt to truly contend beyond Griffin.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    How are they going to juggle Paul and Billups? Not sure they have the frontcourt to truly contend beyond Griffin.
    Billups is going to play the 2 guard. Don't they have Randy Foye too? Paul and Billups are both very casual slow-tempo pg's and I think that should help Blake Griffin come out of his shell and really turn into a superstar. There's just way too many undersized guards on this team. However, I think they are probably the most talented team in the league.

Deandre Jordan is no joke. He is a good center.

The big problem I see for this team is that Billups, while still a decent defender, doesn't have the legs anymore to stay with the explosive 2 guards in this league like a Wade. In most cases, this won't be an issue, because Billups doesn't mind playing a bigger, slower SF, and Butler will switch onto the 2g. That's going to be difficult though when you have an explosive sg and sf on one team. That's where the clippers will probably be exposed off the dribble. And lots of cheap fouls for Blake Griffin in those cases off the help.

It honestly doesn't make sense to keep a guy like Mo Williams around when you should be shopping for either another big man or a 6'6 2g/sf hybrid.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Billups is going to play the 2 guard. Don't they have Randy Foye too? Paul and Billups are both very casual slow-tempo pg's and I think that should help Blake Griffin come out of his shell and really turn into a superstar. There's just way too many undersized guards on this team. However, I think they are probably the most talented team in the league.

Deandre Jordan is no joke. He is a good center.

The big problem I see for this team is that Billups, while still a decent defender, doesn't have the legs anymore to stay with the explosive 2 guards in this league like a Wade. In most cases, this won't be an issue, because Billups doesn't mind playing a bigger, slower SF, and Butler will switch onto the 2g. That's going to be difficult though when you have an explosive sg and sf on one team. That's where the clippers will probably be exposed off the dribble. And lots of cheap fouls for Blake Griffin in those cases off the help.
    Is Butler healthy? Billups at the 2 doesn't seem like it will last the duration of the season.

I love the energy Jordan brings to the table, but he's a horrible FT shooter and hasn't proven anything re: logging significant starter minutes.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

This deal keeps Griffin with the Clippers long-term.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

They lost depth, and Eric Gordon, which does suck.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    These guys are a diamond dozen...
    I'm unfamiliar with this expression...

iifold
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with this expression...
    Did Chris Johnson Have A Career Year Last Year??

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Is Butler healthy? Billups at the 2 doesn't seem like it will last the duration of the season. I love the energy Jordan brings to the table, but he's a horrible FT shooter and hasn't proven anything re: logging significant starter minutes.
    You're right. Billups won't play the whole season. It doesn't matter because that will be the starting roto come playoff time and clippers are obviously a playoff team now.

Supposedly Butler is as healthy as he has been in years. I wouldn't be surprised if he went down again though. That would be a huge blow because this is the guy you are trusting to guard the Kobe Bryants throughout the course of the season and in the playoffs. There's certainty some flaws in this team but there is a lot to like too. Don't underestimate the drive of Chris Paul. The guy is a winner. He's taken terrible Hornets teams to the playoffs almost every year. You'll see how they do nothing with Gordan. They won't make the playoffs guaranteed.

suicidekings
    Update your status

I think it's a good deal for the Clippers because it probably bought them a couple more wins this season, but the effects could vary depending on how well the Clips utilize the players they have. I'm always very skeptical of players coming off season ending knee surgeries. I don't know what condition Butler is in right now, but history says expect slow progress. Also, Jordan hasn't really shown a lot offensively yet, so if he and Paul and develop a good working relationship, his numbers will improve dramatically and the Clipper frontcourt will be very tough to stop.

The thing is, there's still a lot up in the air with this team with respect to the details of exactly how all the parts will fit together and operate. They're probably a 5-8 playoff seed that will struggle at times but also look outstanding at others.

suicidekings
    Update your status

My apologies. I didn't realize it was a JJism

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    They lost depth
    Um...no

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Um...no
    I think you were right before. They have to move Mo Williams. Not for a shooting guard but for another big man.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I don't think it was a good trade for the Clippers. Paul is not going to put them over the top in the West. If they are lucky they get the 5th seed in the west and to do that would be a major turn around. I think they would have been better off to build around Griffin with another good forward/center. Now they will be abused inside with the center they have now.
    Last edited by doublej95; 12-15-11 at 07:53 PM.

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes you are alone

saratoga1927
    saratoga1927's Avatar Become A Pro!

Clippers won't win many more games than they did last year. Adding one player doesn't make a team.

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you wanna make an omelette, you have to break some eggs.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by saratoga1927 View Post
    Clippers won't win many more games than they did last year. Adding one player doesn't make a team.
    I'd be willing to put 1000 points that the Clippers will be a minimum of a .500 team this year. let me know.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

They didnt give up too much, bottom line, Chris Paul makes decent teams good and good teams great. N.O. got the raw end actually, all three of those guys they got are replaceable.