come on Papanick!
    Fischnasty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 311

lol that would be great

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by Fischnasty View Post
    the guy is possibly the best athlete in MLB. never gets injured. shows no sign of slowing down. even in a bad season (last season) he breaks 200 hits. the guy can play MLB till hes 45 if he stays in the shape hes in. 3k hits easy.
    He's in great shape, but one doesn't run as well at 35 and 36 as he did at 27.
    He could keep playing, but I don't see him being nearly as effective in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by coldhardfacts View Post
    Unless he's one of the "unnamed 103", Abso-freakin-tively.
    lutely?

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't see him getting 3k hits.

The_Kid
    The_Kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1930

Quote Originally Posted by ryanXL977 View Post
    i do like him and his arm but i would take a ton of leadoff men over him, furcal, ellsbury, damon, etc
    I would not take Damon over Ichiro. Damon is lousy in the field. As a hitter, Damon will give you more home runs but that doesn't justify his weak arm in the outfield. Ellsbury has potential but Furcal would need to stay healthy for me to take him over Ichiro. I think he's a HOF player. Guy is an exceptional hitter and a great fielder too.

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16233

Ichiro might become a Pitcher if so HOF for sure

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    Disagree. He relies on his speed.
    Good point. Pedro Martinez shouldn't be let in since he relies on really good pitching.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Mickey Mantle relied upon his super fast swing and strong muscles.....

BCaldwell32
    BCaldwell32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1008

You guys are still debating about a for sure thing? How many players can you name that are not in the HOF that had a 330+ average alone and Ichiro is much more than his average. He might not reach 3000 hits which happens to be an excellent achievment for someone who starts playing when they are like 20 years old. Ichiro missed at least 6 or 7 great years cause he was in Japan, he most likely would be on his way to Pete Rose and the 4000 club if he came when he was about 21 or 22. CASE CLOSED!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

good point... it is pretty much unanimous that he gets in...

jtsneaks
    jtsneaks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Stupid question--YES..ba and what he has done to make the game global is unsurpassed.

JT Sneaks

BigAL
    BigAL's Avatar Become A Pro!

no doubt he'll be in

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    Good point. Pedro Martinez shouldn't be let in since he relies on really good pitching.
    Did you read my posts in this thread?

I would put him in on the first ballot.
    What part of "I would put him in on the first ballot." did you not understand?

My post was replying to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Fischnasty View Post
    ...hes got plenty of time left in MLB, probably will get 3K MLB hits by the time his career is over
    Disagree. He relies on his speed. He's not getting to 3,000 MLB hits.
    In fact, the vast majority of the posters in this thread agreed he should be in the Hall of Fame. If you took a poll about 3,000 MLB hits, I bet most would say no.

He has 1,805 hits now and he turns 36 in October. I don't see a player like him getting 1,195 more hits before retiring.
    Last edited by yisman; 02-14-09 at 06:21 PM.

Sforz
    SBR CHAT KING!
    Sforz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ichiro Suziki in HOF =

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Whats a shame is that he didn't start his MLB career sooner. I agree with most in this thread that he is a hall of famer regardless; but just thinking about the numbers he could have put up in a 15 to 20 year career in the MLB (using the success he has had as an indicator), it is simply mind boggling.

Such a great pure hitter.

Sforz
    SBR CHAT KING!
    Sforz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDave View Post
    Whats a shame is that he didn't start his MLB career sooner. I agree with most in this thread that he is a hall of famer regardless; but just thinking about the numbers he could have put up in a 15 to 20 year career in the MLB (using the success he has had as an indicator), it is simply mind boggling.

Such a great pure hitter.

would be a major disappointment if this guy was found to be using PEDs

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I don't think he used any PEDS..... just some ancient japanese herbs and PEZ maybe... but not PEDs

cocknocker
    cocknocker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ichiro is a shoo in for the Hall of Fame. He's one hell of a leadoff man andan outstanding fielder

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

easily on pace for a record breaking 9th 200+ hit year....

great arm

I heard he might play till he was 50

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

broke the 200+ hits record and 2k hits this year... that will help him

yisman

taco's lack of reading comprehension in this thread continues to amaze me.

Thread title should be fixed. It's Suzuki.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanXL977 View Post
    i do like him and his arm but i would take a ton of leadoff men over him, furcal, ellsbury, damon, etc
    Classic clueless post from ryan. A blast from the past.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I'd love to see a long term prop on Ichiro getting 3k MLB hits..... guy doesn't show much signs of aging

1tarheelfan
    1tarheelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    only 8 seasons in MLB...but he should cross 2,000 hits this season

over 200 hits EVERY season
    over 100 runs EVERY season
    all-star EVERY season
    gold glove EVERY Season
    led league in hits 5/8 years
    career batting avg .331 prob ranks him close to top10 alltime without looking it up

MLB record 260+ hit season
    315 sb's

ROY
    MVP

top 10 arm all-time in RF

I like his chances thus far....

and like some negro leaguers that had shortened MLB careers due to playing in the negro leagues first...I'm sure his prior seasons will be taken into account
    i would say yes based on those numbers,and the fact he has a few years left.iam 37 and ive seen a few good hiters during the mlb.boggs,rose,gwyn,carew amongst others. might be wrong,but i believe satche paige is in the hof wth not much time in the majors, so is cool papa and josh gibson,

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

1st ballot.

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

Quote Originally Posted by coldhardfacts View Post
    Unless he's one of the "unnamed 103", Abso-freakin-tively.

Do drugs make people hit better? Why do we only rank on the guys that were good/great before they started taking anything? There are/were plenty of guys taking the chit that still weren't/aren't any good (cough, cough, Jason Grimsley), so it seems to me that the drugs don't really make much difference. If pitchers and hitters are/were doing this, does it not make for a level playing field? Whether you make the HOF or not, is dependent on how you compared to players of your time, not those of 50 years ago. Old timers need to chill the F out and pay attention to their own lives.
    Last edited by teecee; 05-05-10 at 09:10 AM.

1tarheelfan
    1tarheelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!

cool papa bell was a famous base stealer with the grays negro team i believe.i was very interested with much of the negro players since it was a known fact the whites discontinued the all star game between the black all stars,and white ones because they lost most of the games.two interesting things that was passed down as baseball folk lore was that that cool papa bell would beat out the lights just before he got to bed.one truth i always thought was cool is one of the all star games when the blacks and whites played. paige threw ralph kiner and babe ruth back to back homeruns,and satch got a young black boy and asked him to retrieve the and ball ruth hit,and asked ruth to sighn it,now thats the up most sighn of respect.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Yes he'll actually be inducted into the US and Japan HOF. anything he accumulates from here forth will only help accelerate the process.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I love the old negro league star fairy tale stories...... like the above cited cool papa bell story.... another one I remember reading about him, was that he once hit a comebacker through the box, and it hit him as he was sliding into second....

Josh Gibson once hit a ball playing for the crawfords in pittsburgh, that was so far gone they never saw it land...... well the next day they played in philly, and lo and behold and the ball came down during THAT game...and a player from the opposing team caught it.... and the bewildered ump could only say..... "yer out.......YESTERDAY"

but for real, I'd love to have seen Satch make all his fielders sit down after loading the bases, and proceed to strike out the next 3 hitters...... THAT, I wouldn't doubt actually happened

cadillac pete
    cadillac pete's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6636

Without question Ichiro is headed to Cooperstown. He will get to 3,000 hits in MLB.

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

What team is number two in selling stuff next to the Yankees........Seattle because of its huge overseas market. And yes he is HOF

sundin4prez
    sundin4prez's Avatar Become A Pro!

definitly YES..... there is no one better at what he does......

yisman

Epic fail by tacomax in this one. I still am incredulous how he absolutely failed at reading comprehension.

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post

I heard he might play till he was 50
    Oh come on. You "heard"? From where?

He'll retire before 50.

Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    Do drugs make people hit better? Why do we only rank on the guys that were good/great before they started taking anything? There are/were plenty of guys taking the chit that still weren't/aren't any good (cough, cough, Jason Grimsley), so it seems to me that the drugs don't really make much difference.
    Terrible argument. PEDs do aid in performance. Jason Grimsley sucked even though he took PEDs? This proves something? I mean, seriously? Because there are bad players who took it and didn't become better, this means it doesn't make much difference?

You or I could take all the PEDs we wanted and still not become a good baseball player. You have to have talent first.

Barry Bonds never would've hit over 50 homers in a season without steroids.

Clemens would not have lasted as long as he did without all the crap he took.

The difference is that both those guys were very talented, and were able to achieve higher levels with the help of PEDs. There are many more examples of this.

No, Jason Grimsley and Alex Escobar aren't going to become All Stars by injecting some steroids. There is no magic formula that will transform you from mediocre/bad to great.
    Last edited by yisman; 05-05-10 at 11:43 AM.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11989

if he quit today, he would be a hall of famer, maybe even a first ballot one. holds the hits record, never had a season below a .300 avg., and has a ROY, MVP title, and numerous gold gloves.

roster1
    roster1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ichiro

First off, spell the man's name right ... hahha

First 1234 Last