DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30722

Anybody have Venus Flytraps???

I was just given 4 baby ones from a family member.

Ive done my research on the internet on what i should feed them, but just wanted to get some pointers from somebody else who may have these plants.

If not, i guess i will be flipping rocks in the back yard looking for bugs or order baby crickets and/or maggots.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Maybe humans would work.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

That's funny, my youngest daughter just asked me the other day if she could plant one. Can you just plant one in a small container and keep it in the house? I guess google will be my friend.

DiggityDaggityDo

Quote Originally Posted by TexansFan View Post
    That's funny, my youngest daughter just asked me the other day if she could plant one. Can you just plant one in a small container and keep it in the house? I guess google will be my friend.
    Yes, I have 4 in the house. But they do not just survive on water, they need to eat bugs.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Yes, I have 4 in the house. But they do not just survive on water, they need to eat bugs.
    Okay, bugs all around outside. Thanks.

DiggityDaggityDo

TexasFan, I fed one of my plants their first meal... A Daddy Long Leg. It may not be much of a meal, but at least it is something.

I am attaching a photo of the plant capturing the spider. You can see the spiders legs hanging out. It was pretty cool watching the plant bite down on the spider.

Weird thing though... I attempted to give the other "jaws" spiders, pincher bugs, and a rollie pollie (basicallythe bugs that I could find in the back yard) and they would not close up. I even brushed the inside with a stick to trigger the hairs and they still would not close up, I dont know why. I guess more research is in order.

Anyway, enjoy the picture of my plant feeding and I hope you can share what your plant(s) do.

BTW, the plant trapped the daddy long leg yesterday and it's jaws are still tight shut. It's been over 24 hours and he's still in capture mode. Thats a good thing, because from what I have read is that if the plant thinks that what it has caught is not alive it will open back up pretty quickly so it can catch a real meal.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

what a weird plant