SmartInvestment
    SmartInvestment's Avatar Become A Pro!

Does Crappy Weather Benefit Offense in Cards/Rangers?

Does anybody have an opinion if cold crappy weather like tonights Cards/Rangers has any bearing on a pitchers start? It helps so much in taking the under in football. I imagine if a pitcher sits for a long time between innings it might...

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

it helps the pitchers... while the pitchers arms might not feel as good the ball will not carry as well and hitters hate hitting in bad weather.

priskilla22
    priskilla22's Avatar Become A Pro!

cold weather definitely means unders are more likely to hit.

But with these two offenses, and it already down to 7.5, the cold weather is already factored into the line.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Why does everyone think cold weather helps the pitchers??? THis is simply not true.
    Generally the ball travels better in April and October in colder air...anyone who has played the game knows this!

jeffdane
    jeffdane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Why does everyone think cold weather helps the pitchers??? THis is simply not true.
    Generally the ball travels better in April and October in colder air...anyone who has played the game knows this!
    huh,

science major?

priskilla22

LOL....

<section class="section"> Hot and Cold

The University of Massachusetts study conducted tests on batted balls that were cooled or heated to temperatures ranging from 40 degrees Fahrenheit all the way up to 120 degrees. The results showed that the lower the temperature, the slower the ball traveled after making contact with the bat. The 40 degree balls traveled at a velocity 2 percent less than the 120 degree balls. This means that a ball that would have traveled 400 feet at 120 degrees would instead travel 392 feet. That can be the distance between a home run and an out.
    </section>

Regul8er
    Wordd

Im sorry, Im not a science major and cant explain the reasoning against the ball flight and travel in warm and cold weather!

Question Jeff, have you ever played the game? Have you hit a ball in the heat of the summer and hit one on a 40-50 degree day?

priskilla22

<section class="section"> Verdict

The answer to whether the temperature will have an effect on a baseball is a resounding yes. The hotter the ball is, the farther it will travel. The colder the ball is, the shorter it will travel. One way to combat this if you play baseball in hot or cold weather is to store all of the balls not in play in a neutral location at a controlled temperature. This is still only a temporary solution because the balls will adjust to the external temperature once they are taken outside.
    </section>

Regul8er
    Wordd

OK, so this study discussed how in colder weather the slower the ball goes, but does the study talk about the flight of the ball...you know length of time in the air and distance travelled???

jeffdane
    jeffdane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Im sorry, Im not a science major and cant explain the reasoning against the ball flight and travel in warm and cold weather!

Question Jeff, have you ever played the game? Have you hit a ball in the heat of the summer and hit one on a 40-50 degree day?
    i have played all my life. my multi hr games came in the summer time. i had much better numbers in the summer. and like i said, science will tell you the cold weather effects the ball.

priskilla22

Colder air is more densely packed together, so I guarantee that the ball travels more in hot air than cold air.

I'm not sure if you are even being serious, because if you look at HR totals in July, they are always significantly higher than in April.

Regul8er
    Wordd

I would like to see a study done on average temperatures in MLB games, and what the average runs per game is.

For example:
    40-45 degree - 8.2 runs
    45-50 degree - 7.9 runs

Id be very curious to see the results.....as Im sticking to the belief that higher scoring games are played in cold weather months.

priskilla22

Regul8er, you can believe what you want, but colder air is more dense, warmer air is less dense. Those are facts.

priskilla22

Footballs, golf balls, baseballs, they all travel less in colder air.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

give me a fukkin break pal. this is almost as bad as the guy last week thinking a -1000 game added to a parlay would reduce your payout.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Wouldn't pitches come in slower in cold air, giving an advantage to the hitter??

Regul8er
    Wordd

Rudy, another one who has never played the game. Strap on a helmet, and play the game, and then talk, ok bub!

Balls get swallowed up by the heat in the middle of the summer and die.....Im telling you (I dont have scientific proof, I have real life experience)

Why is there always rumors in semi pro leagues that the home team freezes balls the night before games, and throw those balls into play when there team is hitting??

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Weather doesn't favor anyone in baseball because when the weather is bad they don't play.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Rudy, another one who has never played the game. Strap on a helmet, and play the game, and then talk, ok bub!

Balls get swallowed up by the heat in the middle of the summer and die.....Im telling you (I dont have scientific proof, I have real life experience)

Why is there always rumors in semi pro leagues that the home team freezes balls the night before games, and throw those balls into play when there team is hitting??
    Wouldn't you think the umpire who gives the balls to the catcher notice that the balls are frozen? Common!

Regul8er
    Wordd

OK guys...I will admit Ive read the studies, and scintifically I am wrong. I can be a man and admit that.

I just remember higher scoring games being played early and late in the season, in comparison to playing in the middle of summer!

SmartInvestment
    SmartInvestment's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would think cold hands would affect a pitchers ability to grip the ball. When Carpenter leaves a hanging curve tonight we'll see what it does

Regul8er
    Wordd

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Wouldn't you think the umpire who gives the balls to the catcher notice that the balls are frozen? Common!
    Not when you take them out of the freezer or cooler probably 6 to 8 hours prior to the game. You wipe them off and make sure they aren't sweating. On the surface the ball feels normal, but the core is still cold, resulting in harder, longer hit balls.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Played baseball all my life and I also pitched from 8 years old till college.......I would say that I enjoyed hitting AND pitching more in the summer. The ball definitely traveled better and would jump off the bat in the summer as opposed to cold fall weather. However, as a pitcher, I felt like my stuff was generally better in the heat as well.

Overall, I would say that it's a push and don't look TOO much into the temperature unless extreme.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Maybe Im the only one who played College and Semi Pro ball who enjoyed hitting more in cold weather!

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

any studies that have been done in major league baseball as a whole must account for the john lackey. extract him from any equation and you need to subtract 3 runs per game minimum.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Not when you take them out of the freezer or cooler probably 6 to 8 hours prior to the game. You wipe them off and make sure they aren't sweating. On the surface the ball feels normal, but the core is still cold, resulting in harder, longer hit balls.
    OK I have a softball game tomorrow night. We provide the balls for the game since we are home team. I will email our captain now to put the balls in the freezer. Since I'm the catcher I can wipe the balls before I give them to the umpire in case they sweat.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Pavy...I promise you the balls will be like rock, and you will hit them harder and further then you ever have in your life! haha