pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Tennis Rankings Are A Joke

Can you imagine a team not in the Top 25 in football or basketball playing in the BCS bowl championship or the final at Final Four?

Serena is #28 and she looks like she can beat the #1 without even trying hard.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah. They call that team ... George Mason. They call that team ... Butler.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

You lose rankings if you don't play, kind of obvious.

Forgot this match was on, was going all-in on Serena.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Yes

Serena should of been number 1 seed

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Serena is hot

I wanna fukk that big black booty

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Woz is hotter but just way overrated

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Yeah. They call that team ... George Mason. They call that team ... Butler.
    ep i respect you but i dont respect that comment

serena is the best in woman's tennis easy....easy....those other teams got hot in college baskets at the right time

serena just doesn't take the sport seriously until its grand slammer time

Domestic
    Domestic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1756

Tennis rankings always overreact and are very volatile.

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    ep i respect you but i dont respect that comment
    George Mason wasn't a Top 25 team and they played in the Final Four. What's wrong with saying that in regards to what pavy originally posted? If you have a problem it should be with his comparison because one has nothing to do with the other.

And in all honesty, we don't have a problem with the men's rankings because the top guys consistently perform. It's the women who lack dominant players outside of Serena when she is motivated. So you have a dozen girls who "could" win any given week which is why someone like Wozniacki who consistently plays deep in tournaments and is healthy 95% of the time ... is #1. She gets points and that's how the system works. Flawed? Probably. But if you are hurt for a long time ... you're not going to be ranked, that's how it works.

Cheme82
    Cheme82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2447

The reason for the rankings to work like that is because they want to encourage the good players to play as much as possible. The majors always have a lot of coverage and attendance because all the top players are there, but the smaller events usually suffer due to lack of big name stars attending. That's why they give them the ranking points even if the price purse is not that big.

You have no problems on the men's side because the top guys play and train seriously year round. If Serena wants to be #1 then she should play and train year round, I don't know if she can do that anymore.

EaglesPhan36

Here's another thought ... just like with NCAA basketball ... does being ranked #1 mean anything when the tournament is over? Nope. It's the team with the trophy that is seen as the best. That's how these Slams work too. Rankings don't mean shit except for seeding. The only sport where rankings mean something is football and that's the sport most people hate the rankings the most.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Here's another thought ... just like with NCAA basketball ... does being ranked #1 mean anything when the tournament is over? Nope. It's the team with the trophy that is seen as the best. That's how these Slams work too. Rankings don't mean shit except for seeding. The only sport where rankings mean something is football and that's the sport most people hate the rankings the most.
    well it matters when it affects your draw

serena is like an undisputed champ in boxing...she doesn't give a fuk who she faces...she'll beat her

EaglesPhan36

I don't understand that comment InTheDrink. Her being ranked #1, #100 or #1000 doesn't have a different effect on anyone's draw. If she is the best, you have to beat her to get the trophy. Whether it's Round 1 or Round 4 is just semantics.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I wanna eat Woz's box

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

She could have some trouble against Stosur

Strong serve

alukk
    alukk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8012

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    I wanna eat Woz's box
    +1

I think they are the most consistent rankings in all major sports. Top 4 men are unbeatable right now, maybe injuries bad day but they have been there for years.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Well it seems the Men's rankings are spot on....

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

I don't understand that comment InTheDrink. Her being ranked #1, #100 or #1000 doesn't have a different effect on anyone's draw. If she is the best, you have to beat her to get the trophy. Whether it's Round 1 or Round 4 is just semantics.
    common ep36 i'm sure you're better than that

#1 gets the easiest draw in the tournament....especially in tennis when there are always random players who are seeded lower because of previous injuries...for whatever reason #1's never face those players

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

No, Serena is a joke for not taking things seriously and only showing up occasionally.

If you don't play, how do you expect to be ranked highly?

There could be someone out there who's a top 5 tennis player in the world but doesn't come to tournaments. ttwarrior, for example.

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    I wanna eat Woz's box
    I totally agree with this lost right here...

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    common ep36 i'm sure you're better than that #1 gets the easiest draw in the tournament....especially in tennis when there are always random players who are seeded lower because of previous injuries...for whatever reason #1's never face those players
    I'm totally confused as to what point you're trying to make. If you're saying Wozniacki is getting easy draws being ranked #1 ... that doesn't seem to be the case since she was KO'ed in the 3rd round of the last two Slams. Bottom line is you get put where you get put and if you've got the talent to win it all, you should be able to beat all comers. In all honesty, in the WTA outside of Serena you could rank the next 9 best players anywhere from 2-10 any week and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference if they were ranked #2 or #10 - they all can win or lose any time because the talent levels are similar.

jdrb
    jdrb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2392

Caro got an easier draw because her main threats in her quarter was out in the first round i.e. Hantuchova and Li.
    Same applies to Kerber. All she beat was Radwanska and Pennetta to reach the semi.