RedSox88
    RedSox88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Need Help!!

Hey guys I am certainly not new to sports betting but I am new to bankroll management. I have been a losing player for years and it's time to control my bets. I just recently went on a 8-3 run, meaning I won 8 games and lost 3 but because of my poor bankroll management I went broke. Obviously because I bet heavy on my three losers.

Here the question:

Many handicappers tell you how much to bet in terms of units which I understand. The one thing I don't understand is this.

Lets say for example a handicapper says bet NYY @ +120 for four units.

I'm assuming this means risking 4 units to win 4.8 units correct?

Now on the other side, If you are betting a team that is favored, say NYY - 120 and the handicapper tells you to bet 4 units what do you do?

do you bet 4 units to win 3.33 units, or do you bet 4.8 units to win 4.

In other more simpler terms when a team is favored and the guy says bet 4 units, are you just risking the 4 units or are you risking whatever it is to WIN the 4 units?

Thanks in advance and I know I rambled, I just wondered about it for a long time.

RedSox88

and another follow up question.....

My bankroll on BetOnline.com right now is $935

What should my unit be, I was thinking 2% per unit, ranging from 1 - 8 units per game which would look like this:

Bankroll 9/3/2011 = $935

Bet Per unit 2 Percent = $18.70 per Unit

Unit Range 1 - 8

1 Unit 18.70
    2 Unit 37.4
    3 Unit 56.1
    4 Unit 74.80
    5 Unit 93.5
    6 Unit 112.2
    7 Unit 130.9
    8 Unit 149.6

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

Just bet X amount every game. If you have 1000 to play on bet 75-80 a game and ull be fine.

RedSox88

is that too much or too little per unit or just right, Im sick of going broke and i wont let it happen again, tired of going up 2 grand then down 2 grand, just want to steadily increase my bankroll and unit bet every week

jeffdane
    jeffdane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

you should not range your bets, from 1-8 units.

stick with the same for each play or

1-3 units.

think about it,

you make 8 1 unit plays, win them all, 8-0 up 8 units
    you make 1 8 unit play and lose. 0-1 down more than 8 units.

your 8-1 minus money.

and 16% per play is way too high. if you want to be ultra aggressive then ok but its too high. lose 3 of those and u just lost half your bankroll.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Unless you can quantify your edge stick to flat betting. Otherwise you will run into the same problem you're having now

RedSox88

true jeffdane,

I follow cappers on docsports.com, the good ones range their units from 1-4 units 4 being very rare,

this new guy i started following does 1 - 8 and is losing alot, probably duye to the fact that he wins alot of small ones but when you lose 2 8 units ur screwed,

you just made me realize it your a genius, thank you!

RedSox88

cap dat,

with a bankroll of 935, what would you flat bet per game, and at what bankroll would you increase that flatbet

sorry for all the questions im just sick of losing my whole bankroll and want a way to still win money but be alot more cautious and be able to absorb a bad run

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here's the thing, you are tailing somebody's plays so you have no way of knowing whether or not they're -ev or +ev. You can have perfect BR management and go broke all the same by making -ev bets, as you are experiencing.

Anyways
    As an action bettor just looking to have some fun I'd probably bet 3% of my BR/game. That's enough that if I lose it doesn't sting too bad and allows me to whether any bad runs. But at the same time it makes the games more interesting. My two cents in.