Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Is Joe Mauer officially a bust?

Guy is never healthy and is very soft.

Not a guy you want to build a franchise around.

What do you guys think?

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

I like he guy but have to agree...too soft in many aspects to be "the man"

BAUS
    Back on post review re: Optimal
    BAUS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 558

It turned out to be a better draft pick than Mark Prior, who was the consensus #1 that year.

BAUS

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

a bust?

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

Quote Originally Posted by BAUS View Post
    It turned out to be a better draft pick than Mark Prior, who was the consensus #1 that year.

BAUS
    This is very true...

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Wouldn't call him a bust, but living up to that contract isn't going to be easy. wtf happened to his power?

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

He never had good to great power, he just got into a power surge that one year. And then bam, Twins give him that huge contract, said at the time to all my twins friend's who were happy he wasn't traded you will be regretting this, because he won't even be a catcher for a long. Sadly looks like I am right.

xstud
    xstud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Bust... hell no. Horrible contract... hell yes.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

He still has a lot of time to justify his check. Long way to go in what might be the best organization in baseball (not big market).

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Nothing more than an injury prone Wade Boggs.

If he didn't play catcher he would just be another typical ham and egger.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

He is in early stages of MS imho.

He will only go downhill. Team is very hush about it. bi lateral leg and neck weakness, give me a fukkin break.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Catchers are like RB's in football. The position is so physically and mentally demanding that it's hard to be a great one for more than 5 years. No way you can say Mauer is a bust. The guy won an MVP and has been the best at his position for several years. He'll move to another position and crank out .330 with 15-20 homers. Maybe overpaid, but not like Jason Kendall or anything.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

It is an interesting debate...as someone said above, if he didn't play catcher he'd be a solid player, but wouldn't have gotten half the money he did...he'd be like a Michael Young caliber player...playing catcher is the best thing he has going for him, and ironically, it is coming to be the demise of his career, as his knees are giving way already. Moving him is fine for the longevity of his career, but it cuts his value in half in the sense that he is a little above average at either 1B or RF, however, it's o.k. because he at least will see more time on the field for the Twins...and in either case, he stands zero chance to live up to that contract, zero chance.

FishFace5
    FishFace5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    Nothing more than an injury prone Wade Boggs. If he didn't play catcher he would just be another typical ham and egger.
    wade boggs is a hall of famer

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Quote Originally Posted by xstud View Post
    Bust... hell no. Horrible contract... hell yes.
    Couldn't have said it better myself

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by FishFace5 View Post
    wade boggs is a hall of famer

STOP making sense!

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by infamousbacardi View Post
    It is an interesting debate...as someone said above, if he didn't play catcher he'd be a solid player, but wouldn't have gotten half the money he did...he'd be like a Michael Young caliber player...playing catcher is the best thing he has going for him, and ironically, it is coming to be the demise of his career, as his knees are giving way already. Moving him is fine for the longevity of his career, but it cuts his value in half in the sense that he is a little above average at either 1B or RF, however, it's o.k. because he at least will see more time on the field for the Twins...and in either case, he stands zero chance to live up to that contract, zero chance.
    it wouldn't just prolong his career and keep him on the field...you're not accounting for an increase in numbers if he moves to the field which would undoubtedly happen...he needs to move immediately....obviously if morneau is ever healthy then 1b isn't an option

happened for biggio, happened for dale murphy (although that's not why murphy was moved)

let's also not forget that having a healthy morneau in the lineup would help him a lot too and that's been over a year since he's been playing consistently...by the way morneau is making 15 mil this year for his 4 homers

the signing might end up being a loss for the twins, but i gotta think that the message that they sent to their fan base to keep a great player on board instead of letting him go to boston or ny was big too....id be interested to hear what a minny fan would say

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Not a bust, but definitely not a franchise players like the Twins or Sox or Yanks thought they would be paying for.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

That PS3 commercial makes a lot more sense now.

Guys with no talent like me and you....

But I'm the american league mvp

sure you are big guy....