harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 197

How to play big fav's and avoid laying the big chalk

Parlay these two for +102-3 Don't lay big chalk in case one lays another egg.

Yankee's -240
    Twins's -170

Both teams to avoid the sweep at home.

Or gamble on the DOGS!

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by harlee71 View Post

Yankee's -240
    Twins's -170

Or gamble on the DOGS!
    If you parlay both favorites thats still laying chalk.

harlee71

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post

If you parlay both favorites thats still laying chalk. I don't why people don't understand this.
    100% true but you are lowering your exposure and maximizing returns. Shop for the best lines as well.

baseball parlay's are tougher than most, but I hate laying that much chalk. See yesterday's post about playing the sure thing on the Phills and BrewCrew ML.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

why not just play totals? Such better odds and really a 50/50 shot

harlee71

Quote Originally Posted by pattymayo View Post
    why not just play totals? Such better odds and really a 50/50 shot
    Because I hate playing unders on anything!!!

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would not lay anything on the twins right now

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Quote Originally Posted by Tech N9ne View Post
    I would not lay anything on the twins right now

yeah they really stink but reyes is awful and the line reflects that.

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

Put sMall amount on parlay. And put even amount on both dogs. Good or bad idea?

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE MONEY LINE View Post
    How could it be a good idea?

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

It can't. I'm just being a jerkoff

harlee71

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE MONEY LINE View Post
    You can't do that.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Yankee's -240
    Twins's -170

Or gamble on the DOGS!
    umm what? Your laying the chalk twice here.

a parlay is basically an if bet that puts you all in on each leg.

So just because you bet a 100 dollar parlay with these two teams and you get back +1.25 doesnt mean you arent laying chalk. Its like betting 100 bucks on one and then taking all that profit and base amount and putting it on the second team. So 100 bucks on Yankees at -240 you cash 141.67 (100 dollars you bet and 41.67 profit) then that 141.67 rolls over on the twins -170. That gets you 83.33. So you collect 225. The 100 you bet and 125 profit.

People think parlay are good because they risk a little and can win a lot. But if they risked the right amount of their bankroll in the first place they wouldnt have to dick around with parlays once their almost broke.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

You need to parlay the two big chalk but also parlay the two dogs for a fraction of the original bet to hedge.

So you put one unit on the two big chalk and 1/6th of a unit on big dog parlay.

This is how the Pros do it.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post

So just because you bet a 100 dollar parlay with these two teams and you get back +1.25 doesnt mean you arent laying chalk. Its like betting 100 bucks on one and then taking all that profit and base amount and putting it on the second team. So 100 bucks on Yankees at -240 you cash 141.67 (100 dollars you bet and 41.67 profit) then that 141.67 rolls over on the twins -170. That gets you 83.33. So you collect 225. The 100 you bet and 125 profit.

People think parlay are good because they risk a little and can win a lot. But if they risked the right amount of their bankroll in the first place they wouldnt have to dick around with parlays once their almost broke.
    Thx for your actual valuable input you give here. Its obvious you know your shit and you dont just troll the board. Thx

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    You need to parlay the two big chalk but also parlay the two dogs for a fraction of the original bet to hedge. So you put one unit on the two big chalk and 1/6th of a unit on big dog parlay. This is how the Pros do it.
    Hey Pro, what happens when they split and you are officially fked from all angles

harlee71

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post

So did you play either of these teams the last three days?

I am betting no sweep at home for both of these teams, but don't want to lay the huge chalk in case one team continues the trend of the past few days. Again, minimizing my exposure on both teams with the maximum return.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post
    Hey Pro, what happens when they split and you are officially fked from all angles
    Instead of losing 1 unit you lose 1.16 units.

So for an additional 16 dollars on your 100 bet you get a push.

iceminers26

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Instead of losing 1 unit you lose 1.16 units. So for an additional 16 dollars on your 100 bet you get a push.
    If you're going to get into all these plays on same pair of games, don't you think the best route would be Fav A/Dog B and Fav B/Dog A... I would think this generates more return longterm because the payout would still be descent and it seems to happen often where biggest 2 favs on board split.

I'm just thankful baseball is almost over and foots is here and bball right around the corner.

harlee71

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post

I'm just thankful baseball is almost over and foots is here and bball right around the corner.
    And college basketball on the horizon!

iceminers26

And college basketball on the horizon!
    ncaab and ncaaf.... 2 of the best things ever created

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

thank you for this revolutionary idea , harlee... i can see that the gambling seminar at the bash is already paying dividends
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: pavyracer

harlee71

Quote Originally Posted by raydog View Post
    thank you for this revolutionary idea , harlee... i can see that the gambling seminar at the bash is already paying dividends
    Thanks for pointing out my betting prowess. I was a little worried this might go over your head.

It's Thursday day action. O's, A's and Twins are involved in the play (do I need to mention tread lightly). Just pointing out sweeps are not common and you have two big fav's today. Again in THIS SITUATION...should I say it again? A way to make a decent play and not lay the huge chalk on the Yanks or for that much the twins. This just looks like a good spot for this type of play.

That is all. Do with it as you wish.

wantitall4moi

yeah you can correlate them with separate bets at different places actually but I wasnt sure people would get it.

wantitall4moi

So did you play either of these teams the last three days?

I am betting no sweep at home for both of these teams, but don't want to lay the huge chalk in case one team continues the trend of the past few days. Again, minimizing my exposure on both teams with the maximum return.

youre not minimizing exposure youre just betting less money.

have no idea what your normal bet size is, but I would guess that it is more than you bet on this parlay.

But if you did bet the same amount on this parlay as you would a normal bet youre actually over exsposing yourself from what you would normally do.

Most guys bet whatever the odds are to win 100 bucks, or some even amount, bad approach. But that is another debate. So if you would normally bet 240 on the yankees but in this case only bet them for 100 in a parlay. its the same difference. Its just like betting them in an open ticket for 100.

Where people make mistakes is if they are looking at a 'unit' size bet. if your normal 'unit' is 100 bux that what you bet. if you bet 240 on the yankees to WIN 100 that is a 2.4 unit bet. so that is why people think betting big faves is bad.

if you bet your normal size bet on them, in this example 100, you win 41 and change. 1 unit, no over betting and if it wins you collect. if it loses you lose your typical one unit.

that is the way I always did it. I bet a set amount regardless of the odds and the pay out I received was determined by those odds. So if I played a -167 team I didnt bet 167 or 1670 or 4175 or 16700 or any number to get an 'even' pay out amount. I bet it for whatever my normal bet size was. Or for full disclosure what my basic lead amount was.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

this changes everything

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Thanks for pointing out my betting prowess. I was a little worried this might go over your head.

It's Thursday day action. O's, A's and Twins are involved in the play (do I need to mention tread lightly). Just pointing out sweeps are not common and you have two big fav's today. Again in THIS SITUATION...should I say it again? A way to make a decent play and not lay the huge chalk on the Yanks or for that much the twins. This just looks like a good spot for this type of play.

That is all. Do with it as you wish.
    Raydog is a very funny guy. He is just busting your chops.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

thats why the books are in business if you parlay bad bets they are still bad bets