Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2093

Computer help (again)

So as some as you may know my hard drive fried about a month ago. Since I've installed a new hard drive I pretty much cant watch videos (youtube or whatever). If I try to watch a video it stalls for a while (audio is there, video is not, it freezes). I can pause it for a while and try to let it load and it will be ok for the most part and then I can watch the video. After I watch 1-2 videos my internet pretty much stalls. Either the page won't load or it takes forever to load. I downloaded something called video accelerator but it doesn't seem to do much. Before my hard drive fried I could watch videos all day long without any problems whatsoever. Any suggestions.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Bobby this new hard drive, is it better than the last? Only ask as sounds like ur VGA card is overloading due to the potential power increase in ur HDD....Be warned though im an amateur and im sure there's many ppl here who can help u more here...
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave ACoochy 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    Bobby this new hard drive, is it better than the last? Only ask as sounds like ur VGA card is overloading due to the potential power increase in ur HDD....Be warned though im an amateur and im sure there's many ppl here who can help u more here...
    I got the same hard drive I had previously where I could watch videos all day long with no problems at all. Something is clearly different though but don't know what it is. Now after I watched one 30 second video it took me a minute to load this thread to see your response and then another minute just to quote you. 2 minutes to make a response doesn't seem like much in real time but in internet time it is an eternity compared to what I was used to. If I didn't watch that 30 sec video it would have taken me a couple seconds to read your reply and quote you.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO
    BettingGeek's Avatar Become A Pro!

Since you are doing a clean install
    Update all the drivers
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave BettingGeek 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

What version Windows you have

Right click on my computer, properties, device manager

In there, find the Video/display driver and update it
    Last edited by BettingGeek; 08-20-11 at 03:39 AM.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

Also update the driver for the network/WiFi card

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Good call Geeky Sounds much more plausible

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by BettingGeek View Post
    What version Windows you have Right click on my computer, properties, device manager In there, find the Video/display driver and update it
    Doesnt seem to work. I updated...

Display adapters:
    Mobile Intel (R) 945GM Express Chipset Family

Network adapters:
    1394 Net adapter
    Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection
    Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Not really seeing anything else that falls in the categories you mentioned.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Are you using Firefox? Something similar happened to me recently with a certain version of firefox + an adobe update. One of them auto updated and everything went screwy. There were all of these threads on techie forums complaining about the same thing and they suggested I revert back to an older version of Firefox to make things go back to normal. That worked.

If you're not using Firefox though, I apologise as I have no other ideas.
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave shari91 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Found this Bob

YouTube videos won't play?

Videos on YouTube are streamed through Adobe Flash player. If you're having trouble playing videos on YouTube, we suggest you install the latest version of the Flash player.
    Note, if you're seeing the "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video" error, you've come to the right place.
    Please follow these steps to upgrade to the most recent version of Adobe's Flash Player:
    1. Before installing Adobe Flash, you will need to first uninstall any older versions you currently have running on your computer. To do so, download Adobe's official uninstaller here. Make sure to select your correct operating system, and then "Uninstall Flash."
    2. Now that you've uninstalled the older version of Flash, follow Adobe's instructions for reinstalling the most recent version. The download option is on the right-hand side of the page.
    3. Once you've downloaded the file, please exit your browser first, and then install the upgraded version of Flash to you're computer.
    4. Finally, open your browser again and go to YouTube. You should now be able so successfully watch videos!

If the instructions above don't resolve the issue, please also try the following:
    1. Temporarily disable popup blocking software installed on your computer to test.
    2. Allow YouTube.com as a trusted site in your Firewall software.
    3. Ensure other applications like Quicktime, iTunes, Real Player, or Windows Media Player aren't set as the default streaming application, as this might affect the video player.
    4. Make sure your computer is set up properly for Flash by checking out Adobe's Advanced Troubleshooter here.

If you continue having difficulty viewing videos...
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave stikymess 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Nice to see ppl helping Bob out

right on sbrforum!

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

stiky, it looks like we were looking at the same forums! I did that as well but unfortunately my problem went a bit further than that and it was Firefox itself. But if Bob's using a different browser then that might be the fix he needs as what you posted is what I saw suggested multiple places online and people were reporting good results.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

You need to narrow the problem. Can your computer play videos outside of the browser? Windows usually comes bundled with a sample video so try playing that. If you can't play a video outside the browser the most likely culprit is a bad video driver. You can go to the graphic card manufacturer website to download a fix or search through windows itself in the drivers/hardware tab.

If you can play video on your computer but it does not work in a browser it can be the following:
    A) Browser is not updated so it is conflicting with flash/javascript - Solution: Update browser
    B) A problem with Adobe Flash - Solution: Go to the flash website to see if you even installed it (some forget after a fresh install). Update/install
    C)A Problem with Java - Solution: Go to Javascript website and download latest version. Also uninstall older versions because they can sometimes conflict.
    D)A problem with your browser: Try out Chrome/Firefox/Opera instead of IE if you're using that

If all that fails and you're still having problems you have to have to replace your graphics card.

GL
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave mrmarket 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

is this a problem with all internet being slow and just being more visible with videos?

If so, make sure all your drivers are updates, 2nd make sure you dont have any 'bloatware' in the form of virus scans. Many of these will kill off your connection speed.
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave gryfyn1 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Also I forgot to add that you should download Malwarebytes and run a scan. It may be that you've been infected already and don't even know it.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

great points everyone, Also Bob make sure you are going to Intel's website to get correct video drivers. That chipset is problematic due to the it's poor listing, there are variations on that chip and it's not one size fits all so to speak. Best of luck.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support...raphics/945gm/

• Search In:

PrintEmail A Friend

Select a different product
    An error has occurred trying to process your request. Please try again later

CLOSE

SupportSupport for this ProductWhat do you need help with?
    Support Resources
    Guide MeContact Support

• Home >
    • Support >
    • Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family

Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family

Latest Downloads

** "classname": "", "elementtype": "", "value": "", "rowcount": "4" **

Install & Configure

Documents & Guides

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

bob, just for shits and giggles run this speed test twice and post both the mbps for download speed only. wait till everything loads and click on "begin test". all the "start now" and download this and that" are ads. just click on the "begin test"
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave blackbeSSt 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bob Loblaw

Thanks for the help everyone. I have some things to do so I can't really test any of these suggestions out right now without the risk of slowing down the internet. I'll try them later when I get some free time and report back with results.

Shari - Yes, I'm using firefox

Stiky - I haven't seen the "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video" message at all.

TobiasFunke
    Never Nude
    TobiasFunke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46

New machines are pretty cheap these days...just sayin...

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

had same problem with firefox
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave griz 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasFunke View Post
    New machines are pretty cheap these days...just sayin...
    So am I

Pete0
    --------------------
    Pete0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I got the same hard drive I had previously where I could watch videos all day long with no problems at all. Something is clearly different though but don't know what it is. Now after I watched one 30 second video it took me a minute to load this thread to see your response and then another minute just to quote you. 2 minutes to make a response doesn't seem like much in real time but in internet time it is an eternity compared to what I was used to. If I didn't watch that 30 sec video it would have taken me a couple seconds to read your reply and quote you.
    u mean the fried harddrive that you somehow fixed/ happens to work later on ? - If so, Then I would suggest running a complete disk check (runs during boot) and see if it comes up with any bad clusters. This process does take a while.

a recent mozilla update caused youtube to crash ( mozilla 6.0 ) , have u tried using a different browser ?? try safari/chrome/ IE and let me know how it works.

Also you can double check if regular videos play in your computer in the first place (without internet )

Finally google ping test , it will show you if there us any significant amount of packet loss, which could be the culprit for transmission problems - that requires network troubleshooting.
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave Pete0 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

Doesnt seem to work. I updated...

Display adapters:
    Mobile Intel (R) 945GM Express Chipset Family

Network adapters:
    1394 Net adapter
    Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection
    Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Not really seeing anything else that falls in the categories you mentioned.
    Look for the video display or anything display one ... and update

After you update ... RESTART the computer for the updates to take place

Bob Loblaw

Pain in the ass. I had to download a newer version of IE to try to see if youtube worked on there. Then it gave me that message of having to download the adobe flash player update. I did that twice, it even said download successful, I restarted the computer, but it still says I need to download it. An hour of downloading and restarting the computer and I got nowhere. Now I'm trying to just revert back to firefox 5 but when I click on download it just takes me to firefox 6.

Pete - No, I meant I got the same size/model hard drive as I had before

Geek - That's what I did last night. Anything that said display or video I updated.

Pete0
    --------------------
    Pete0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

try safari or chrome

shouldnt take too long to download/install flash/webbrowsers ... 1 hour ?? LOL

TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

glad i switched to mac, never going back to windows

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0 View Post
    try safari or chrome

shouldnt take too long to download/install flash/webbrowsers ... 1 hour ?? LOL
    Definitely better on Chrome but still a little skippy at the beginning of the video. Hasn't seemed to slow down the computer after either. So it probably has something to do with the Firefox problem Shari originally mentioned I'm guessing? How do I revert back to an old version of firefox?

Sanka
    Sanka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2468

Definitely better on Chrome but still a little skippy at the beginning of the video. Hasn't seemed to slow down the computer after either. So it probably has something to do with the Firefox problem Shari originally mentioned I'm guessing? How do I revert back to an old version of firefox?
    Just uninstall Firefox 6.0 and download 5.0 from here:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or.../releases/5.0/
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave Sanka 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

What version of Windows you are using Bob, havent answer it

Bob Loblaw

What version of Windows you are using Bob, havent answer it
    xp.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

Win XP Service Pack 3, I assume ?

Bob Loblaw

Win XP Service Pack 3, I assume ?
    I really don't know

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Are you using Firefox? Something similar happened to me recently with a certain version of firefox + an adobe update. One of them auto updated and everything went screwy. There were all of these threads on techie forums complaining about the same thing and they suggested I revert back to an older version of Firefox to make things go back to normal. That worked.

If you're not using Firefox though, I apologise as I have no other ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    had same problem with firefox
    I'm having no problems with video and Firefox 6. I have current Flash installed as well. Not sure your guys issues are with Firefox 6 or not, just want to chime in that it is all good here.

Quote Originally Posted by TR88 View Post
    glad i switched to mac, never going back to windows
    Not everyone has troubles with Windows.
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave onlooker 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bob Loblaw

Thanks everyone for all the info. I got a lot of possible solutions now. Hopefully I figure this out soon.

12 Last