jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

USA/Mexico Soccer

Did anyone watch this game? Dont usually complain about calls, especially in soccer, but USA got absolutely hosed on one call. Another 2 calls could have easily been called in the box but never got called.

Overall USA played a horrible first half and a great 2nd half. The young players on USA seemed to give them a spark.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Missed 1H but watched 2H... I agree the Mexican defenseman should have been shown a red as opposed to a yellow when he prevented the scoring chance, that was a blown call IMO.

However if one of the ones in the box you are referring to is the Donovan play, I gotta disagree with that one... think it was a good no call.

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post
    Missed 1H but watched 2H... I agree the Mexican defenseman should have been shown a red as opposed to a yellow when he prevented the scoring chance, that was a blown call IMO. However if one of the ones in the box you are referring to is the Donovan play, I gotta disagree with that one... think it was a good no call.
    No, the Donovan No call, was a good NO Call. There were 2 previous ones in the box that could have been called. Either way, it was a great 2nd half by USA.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

yes it was a very good 2H for the US and feel it was an important they at least got the draw in his debut as coach, could get them off and running.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agudelo + Shea = $$$

arnukas
    arnukas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

usa have no chance.all in on mexico

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

two guys i wanted to see more agudelo and shea made the whole difference in the game. mexico defense a mess once marquez went out. usa was dominated for 60 minutes but mexico really only had 2 chances (the goal, which was a lapse by bradley, and the marquez header which went barely wide). usa should have had a penalty kick when donovan went down and mexico should have gotten a red when rogers was pulled down. rogers also had a nice game. also thought mexico looked to be through once and were ruled offsides. officiating in the game was pretty terrible. the team looked like they gave a great effort under klinnsman which i wanted to see in the debut of the new coach.

it was important the team at least drew, couldnt take another loss to mexico even in a friendly.

jnickell100

How many mistakes is Bradley going to make before he gets pulled? He always seems to be out of position or be making mistakes. Surely we have someone that can step in and play better

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

The game was alright, some good some bad.

Klinsmann did a lot well and the overall mood of the team was upbeat, even when Mexico was dominant in the 1st half. In the future Donovan and Torres/ Holden should only play in the middle, ahead of a holding player (Jones/ Bradley/ Beckerman/ Clark/ whoever). Playing Donovan wide is a waste and he has to exert so much energy tracking players instead of creating opportunities and passing the ball.

Castillo was bad. Jones was bad and lost. Orzco was Ok, but has a very poor touch (Time Ream looks like a better option). Beckerman is sound positionally, but will never have the technical ability to stake his claim in the starting XI. Buddle was fine, some very nice hold up play 3 v 1, speed, work ethic, but these are already things we knew he could do. Bocanegra is still the best defender the USA has ever had. Howard had nothing to do all night. Cherundolo was coming off injury, but its hard to see him wearing the shirt this time next year in qualifying.

Breck Shea looked confident, bad haircut and all. Hes an interesting player with gangly speed and height. He reminds me of a taller, less skilled Adam Johnson of Man City. Robbie Rodgers played well, but he cannot be counted on in the future. His play was more of a byproduct of the immense confusion in the Mexican defense than his ability. He does possess speed in abundance. Agudelo is a good player, with a combination of touch, finishing and athletic ability the USMNT has never had. He is the key to US soccer in the future. He also needs to move to a better club that can develop him. Hopefully Jurgen can help make this happen.

Mexico was pretty disappointing apart from the goal which was sublime. They are a totally different team with Hernandez. When he is the focal point they are much stronger and direct with all the technical ability you expect from Mexico. Without his hold up play and movement they were forced to play a lot of through balls or play square passes along midfield.

Probably a fair result, with some horrible calls by the Jamaican referee going against both teams. I think 1-1 is a good start.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by jnickell100 View Post
    How many mistakes is Bradley going to make before he gets pulled? He always seems to be out of position or be making mistakes. Surely we have someone that can step in and play better
    i agree youd have to think that his time with USMNT is running out. theres a reason that a poor bundesliga team like mochengladbach dont want him.