zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Young guys... Start you own business. Invest in yourself.

Stock market talk on the forum seems to be quite common these days. It's all fine and dandy... but there are alternatives. America and the rest of the world are starving for entrepeneurs right now.

The safest path toward happiness and wealth is to be your own boss... you got an idea, go for it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

own boss although never use your own money to start a business

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Agreed, however hard to get capital and people less willing to part with their funds for new less established products. Discount market is the place to be right now. If you can make an equal or better product for cheaper than the competitor and sell it for less there is a lot of money to be made.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

How is america starving for entrepeneurs?

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Be your own boss, never work for anyone else.... Plain and simple... it might take you a while to achieve this but well worth it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Dax

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    Not everyone in the country is lazy and waiting for their government check to go spend it at Wal-mart. There's a good portion of people with a lot of money in this country that want to see people get off their ass and get creative and sell them something worth buying... I talk to them everyday.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: flyingillini

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Quote Originally Posted by zam77 View Post
    Not everyone in the country is lazy and waiting for their government check to go spend it at Wal-mart. There's a good portion of people with a lot of money in this country that want to see people get off their ass and get creative and sell them something worth buying... I talk to them everyday.
    Hell of a post!

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Plus much easier to skim of the top and skip out of paying lots of those bullshit taxes that come out of your check if you have a regular job.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Make sure you can afford the risk. Kinda of like gambling dont risk what you can afford to lose. Something like 50% of new businesses fail before 1 year and less than 30% make is past year 2. Well worth the risk if you succeed. My 1st 4 businesses I tried to start up I fell flat on my face. Lost a ton of money. Ultimately filed for BK. tried one last time w/ a start up and finally seem to have something promising. 2 years now with a very positive cash flow and in the black

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    Make sure you can afford the risk. Kinda of like gambling dont risk what you can afford to lose. Something like 50% of new businesses fail before 1 year and less than 30% make is past year 2. Well worth the risk if you succeed. My 1st 4 businesses I tried to start up I fell flat on my face. Lost a ton of money. Ultimately filed for BK. tried one last time w/ a start up and finally seem to have something promising. 2 years now with a very positive cash flow and in the black
    what were your mistakes in the unsuccessful businesses?

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

tech-startups are tough...my friend started 4 of them..none of them successful. Usually the hit-rate of the startups is like 2%.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    Plus much easier to skim of the top and skip out of paying lots of those bullshit taxes that come out of your check if you have a regular job.
    There is an undoubted advantage here. The write-offs can't be overlooked as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    Happy to hear you are on to something loco. The reality is too many people don't take the time of developing a strong business plan partnered with legitimate financial projections for the first 3 years. Too many people make really stupid mistakes during their start up. Not saying you did... but there are a lot who simply don't know how to budget their start up money and go broke before the sales even have a chance to catch up to their overhead. If you understand simple economics... you are a step ahead of many people in the pack.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

The key is don't go for the immediate gratification aspect of a business....try and start while you have another job/career and build it as you go before taking a draw out for your pay. After a few years you should have easily earned enough to not only start taking a % out but enough to expand or even venture into a new one. It's all about pacing yourself and not draining the $$$ out.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post
    tech-startups are tough...my friend started 4 of them..none of them successful. Usually the hit-rate of the startups is like 2%.
    Franchises can be a sound alternative. If you have the smarts and the drive, but lack a promising idea... it's definitely something to consider.

edit: didn't see "tech"... but still.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

There is an undoubted advantage here. The write-offs can't be overlooked as well

Write offs...

Need a new laptop at home, buy through work...Need to check emails at home as well
    Cell phone bill? Write off through work...gotta answer business calls at all times
    need a New truck? write off as work vehicle....The one negative to this was, now I miss the 60 cents I'd pay myself per mile, and fill up on the work CC.

etc etc etc

gotta love it.

maersksealand
    maersksealand's Avatar Become A Pro!

best investment for 95% of the people here will be stop gambling

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Write offs...

Need a new laptop at home, buy through work...Need to check emails at home as well
    Cell phone bill? Write off through work...gotta answer business calls at all times
    need a New truck? write off as work vehicle....The one negative to this was, now I miss the 60 cents I'd pay myself per mile, and fill up on the work CC.

etc etc etc

gotta love it.
    And travel - We are meeting up an old friend of my wife and her husband in Orlando for 5 days later this month...the husband 'is interested in options we can offer his company' so we have to use our Hilton Rewards points combined on this business trip deduction....luckily for us the Hilton is right across from Sea World and some awesome pools as well. All work and no play boys

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

^^^ Yea...When we go up to Wisconsin snowmobiling, we'd stop by the place that we do the most work for. Write off all the mileage, dinners, drinks.

We were talking to an older couple last year in Jamaica, and he was a CPA and his son worked for him as well. He said they need to have so many hours of "class" or something each year to keep up with their license. He was saying that they have a class down there for 4 hours for a morning for 5 days that will count towards their hours....He said writing off the whole trip.

Don't think I could pull something like that off being in the machining business.

But will write off a trip the end of this month, maybe look at a few places, drop a few business cards....

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    new businesses create new jobs.

killawookie
    killawookie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great saying and I'd love to do it.. except I lack creativity that's required to come up eith something innovative. A Guy can dream though

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

so, only entrepreneurs work hard?? Selling shit is working??

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment in the 1st post. It's nice to have a safe job with a big corporation and all the perks, but there's nothing in the world like working for yourself.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

I've been a partner in a small company for close to 16 years. Wearing shorts & tee-shirts to work (office is coastal), coming & going as I please (as long as work is done), and many other inherent benefits are great. But, when business takes a dip..............ownership gets paid last. We take on the daily stress and responsibility of not only our own livelyhood, but of those that we employ. Overall, it's great, but there are times I/we just want to say "fukk it.......let somebody else deal with all this crap".

allenlud23
    allenlud23's Avatar Become A Pro!

The best way to beat the odds with a new business is to start a business that centers around something you are passionate about. That might seem obvious, but I have talked to many people who have started businesses because they heard about some great business opportunity and they didn't really care about the business idea as much as the $$$. Everyone will get burnt out at some point, but if you are passionate about your business, you are more likely to fight through the downturns.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Stock market talk on the forum seems to be quite common these days. It's all fine and dandy... but there are alternatives. America and the rest of the world are starving for entrepeneurs right now.

The safest path toward happiness and wealth is to be your own boss... you got an idea, go for it.
    Happiness and wealth are generally exclusive states of being.....more wealth..usually more worries...

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by mighty maron View Post
    Happiness and wealth are generally exclusive states of being.....more wealth..usually more worries...
    No Wealth...usually more worries...

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    so, only entrepreneurs work hard?? Selling shit is working??
    Yeah Mayan, that's the point I was trying to make?

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

Yeah Mayan, that's the point I was trying to make?
    I'm asking, you see the question marks?? You make it seem everybody that is not a entrepeneuer is getting checks from the government.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

I'm asking, you see the question marks?? You make it seem everybody that is not a entrepeneuer is getting checks from the government.
    Here... I made a couple changes for you. Hope it helps.

Not everyone, whether it be an entrepeneur or a hard working citizen for someone else, in the country is lazy and waiting for their government check to go spend it at Wal-mart. There's a good portion of people with a lot of money in this country that want to see people get off their ass, or even if you are not on your ass... grow some balls, take a risk, and get creative and sell them something worth buying... I talk to them everyday.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

Here... I made a couple changes for you. Hope it helps.

Not everyone, whether it be an entrepeneur or a hard working citizen for someone else, in the country is lazy and waiting for their government check to go spend it at Wal-mart. There's a good portion of people with a lot of money in this country that want to see people get off their ass, or even if you are not on your ass... grow some balls, take a risk, and get creative and sell them something worth buying... I talk to them everyday.
    Sorry pal, not everybody needs to own a business and that doesn't mean they don't have balls or are lazy fukks.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Sorry pal, not everybody needs to own a business and that doesn't mean they don't have balls or are lazy fukks.
    you can't be serious... the way you're interpeting this thread is pretty moronic... but I agree with your post if you need me to spell that out for you.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

you can't be serious... the way you're interpeting this thread is pretty moronic... but I agree with your post if you need me to spell that out for you.
    help me Zam?

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

help me Zam?
    Help you what Mayan?

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

Help you what Mayan?
    Fukk me. I'm confused.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Fukk me. I'm confused.
    Ok... we'll just leave it at that then. BTW... serious question... do you use shampoo or soap to wash your bald head?

12 Last