Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Many of America's moguls created their wealth in the Great Depression..the next 10 years will bring the same kind of opportunity. The country has many problems and those who can find solutions to them stand a chance to be wealthy.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by zam77 View Post
    Ok... we'll just leave it at that then. BTW... serious question... do you use shampoo or soap to wash your bald head?
    Soap. Why? Should I use shampoo??

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    Soap. Why? Should I use shampoo??
    I don't know... I use shampoo. Just curious on what others do, because I was thinking about why I use shampoo to wash my bald head? I don't know why I do... it really doesn't matter I guess, but I can't seem to break the habit.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Actually trying to start a business now. Going to be quite a bit of work, I am willing though. Will be up and running within a years time.

BewareOf5Dimes
    BewareOf5Dimes's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just pick winners in sports, fools! Haha. Or become a bookie or affiliate. Jesus, it is pretty easy to make it in the world. People come over from Guatemala and clean houses and save enough to send back money by way of ** every week.

Wake up, suckers!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TR88

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

I started a service-based business roughly three years ago that relies on nothing more than my research expertise, editing skills, and academic background. My overhead is so low that I am able to save my clients a considerable amount of money while also making a descent living for myself. I'd say that my success so far has been a culmination of my wife's support (financial and emotional), our commitment to living below our means, and I am doing something that I love. My ultimate goal is to subcontract someone to handle my overflow, so I can concentrate on larger projects and not stretch myself so thin.

If you possess a skill that's in demand, I strongly recommend starting a service-based business part time and see where it goes. For me, your operational overhead is everything and the lower the better, as you'll be able to outbid larger competitors and appeal to businesses and individuals, who are now more cost-conscious than ever. BOL! Wix.com is also a great place to create a free website to promote yourself.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Taking in to account all that's happening in the gambling world these days........if you live in the U.S.A. and want to make money............become a bookie.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Actually trying to start a business now. Going to be quite a bit of work, I am willing though. Will be up and running within a years time.
    Good for you, Deucer.

This is a long ways from the guy who said "young people don't gave a chance."

Limitless opportunity for young people like yourself. Never a better time than today to set yourself apart.

Go get it, pal.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

99% of small business fail so if you do start one you will be the minority if you make it after a few years which is good.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    99% of small business fail so if you do start one you will be the minority if you make it after a few years which is good.
    Paver... that is not true... a simple google search reveals much more promise than that. No doubt there is substantial risk in starting a business, but it's all relative to your investment, product demand, market size, committment, etc., etc.. If you play your cards right and have a good product your survival rate is much better than many people think.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13317

How are you suppose to start a business in these economic times, isn't it really hard to get a loan or is there an alternative?

High3rEl3m3nt

The current economic climate offers a lot of opportunity for those that see it. If you can keep your operational overhead to a minimum and deliver a quality service that is in demand, you'll be able to out-compete larger and mid-size competitors. You don't have to start too big, which is where I think a lot of start-ups go wrong. For example, with people looking to save money wherever possible, a lot of people have had to repair household items, rather than buying brand new ones (general statement). My cousin, who is mechanical and worked for a large appliance company, started moonlighting from his house. Since he has all of the necessary tools, can locate and purchase parts cheaply, and is able to make most repairs within a reasonable amount of time, I encouraged him to slowly venture out on his own. Needless to say he's doing this full time and is probably making more money than I am. Word gets around when you deliver a quality service that's cheaper than most competitors.

My wife's uncle also started his own business using the principles of low operational costs and offering a service that's in demand, though his service-based business requires that he purchase expensive security equipment/systems. His story is particularly inspiring because he has slowly worked his way back from a nasty divorce and bankruptcy. Long story short, he installs security systems in wealthy peoples' homes and also does quite a bit business with small and medium-sized businesses. The economy's nosedive, combined with all the great work that our news does on a daily basis, has sparked fear in people, which has created a demand for security and protection.

If your ex-military/police, I know a great small business idea that's suited for you. Insurance companies/employers are being taken advantage of by lazy people (probably a lot of SBRers) and there is an excellent opportunity to use your skills to start a private investigation business. Already, insurance companies and businesses are having to hire these kinds of services, but if you can deliver a better, or equal service, that saves them money, you'll get business.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO

But still how do you get the money to start it up? Can I apply for something or what?

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Git Lo View Post
    But still how do you get the money to start it up? Can I apply for something or what?
    I don't know how old you are, but anyone over 21 should have already built up their credit and then you apply for a business loan through your bank.

High3rEl3m3nt

Git lo, if you are hungry, you'll eat. Nick, who is my wife's uncle, did not have a job and lived in the basement of his mother's house when he started. He did things one step at a time and has slowly worked his way to where he is now. In fact, if he took out a loan and tried to go from a-z all at once, he probably would have failed. My cousin and myself also started small and slowly grew. We didn't take out loans and didn't have to have a lot of capital to invest in our businesses. In fact, when I slowly started my current business, I was substitute teaching and working nights at UPS. My wife was finishing her schooling to be a nurse practitioner, so we didn't have a whole lot of money at the time. Trust me, start slow and it is there for the taking.

High3rEl3m3nt

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post
    I don't know how old you are, but anyone over 21 should have already built up their credit and then you apply for a business loan through your bank.
    I'd encourage people to stay away from loans if possible, which I know it is. If my wife's bankrupt uncle can do it, my cousin, and myself get started, than so can others.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO

Let me go into a bit more detail. I am a DJ I want to start DJ weddings, parties, birthdays, clubs etc... I already spent a few grand on equipment but I don't have enough equipment to do a show, I am still about 2k away from being able to do that and I would like to get a loan to do it. How do I go about getting that in these economic times?

High3rEl3m3nt

Don't get a loan. Get a job and save until you can purchase the equipment outright. DJ'ing, from what I understand, is an extremely competitive service. I know that when my wife and I were looking for DJ's, there were too many of them...sort of like photographers. At least if you save and pay for the equipment outright, you won't have to do things backwards, which may occur if you get a loan to purchase the equipment and then find that you don't have enough gigs to pay your bills and live. I STRONGLY recommend doing it this way. Operational overhead should also include your current bills.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    Don't get a loan. Get a job and save until you can purchase the equipment outright. DJ'ing, from what I understand, is an extremely competitive service. I know that when my wife and I were looking for DJ's, there were too many of them...sort of like photographers. At least if you save and pay for the equipment outright, you won't have to do things backwards, which may occur if you get a loan to purchase the equipment and then find that you don't have enough gigs to pay your bills and live. I STRONGLY recommend doing it this way. Operational overhead should also include your current bills.
    It can be very competitive but there is also a huge gap in quality. A lot of people are willing to pass up a DJ who is cheap and will do a not so great job and pay more for a better one. Lower quality DJs are already overpaid. It's already hard enough to get a job and a decent paying job (10+) so my best bet would be to get a loan and the amount of money I would be making could pay it off very quickly especially since all the opportunities (weddings, parties, etc..) seem to be going on all the time out here.

Sdotbold
    Update your status
    Sdotbold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Be your own boss, never work for anyone else.... Plain and simple... it might take you a while to achieve this but well worth it.
    I have been pondering starting my own pool business. i have been fixing them for a lil while now, and have gotten pretty good at my job. I make my boss a ton of cash. I need to get some of it for myself , LOL

shaggy3000
    shaggy3000's Avatar Become A Pro!

to start a business right now it has to be a side project. banks are tight as **** right now. if you dont have a super Conservative business plan that would still make money good luck getting a loan. good luck

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Move to Vegas and become a pro just like here on sbr

do you have the guts/balls?

Nothing is easy in this world

most ppl here are followers

Be a leader you fukks!

First 12