maersksealand
    maersksealand's Avatar Become A Pro!

Free cell phones are now a civil right

Guys...what the article doesn't say is that after the 250 free minutes are over...those parasites can buy $50000 minutes for $5...

Pennsylvanians on public assistance now have a new 'civil right' -- free cell phones. Mea
    nwhile, the rest of us get to pay higher cell bills as a result.
    Recently, a federal government program called the Universal Service Fund came to the Keystone State and some residents are thrilled because it means they can enjoy 250 minutes a month and a handset for free, just because they don't have the money to pay for it. Through Assurance Wireless and SafeLink from Tracfone Wireless these folks get to reach out and touch someone while the cost of their service is paid for by everyone else. You see, the telecommunications companies are funding the Universal Service Fund to the tune of $4 billion a year because the feds said they have to and in order to recoup their money, the companies turn around and hike their fees to paying customers. But those of use paying for the free service for the poor, should be happy about this infuriating situation, says Gary Carter, manager of national partnerships for Assurance, because "the program is about peace of mind." Free cell service means "one less bill that someone has to pay, so they can pay their rent or for day care...it is a right to have peace of mind," Cater explained.
    Well, the telecommunications companies don't seem to love providing this 'right' to poor folks because they are trying to renegotiate the deal with the FCC. The telecommunications companies like Verizon and AT&T want more paying customers, but their desire to reform their deal with the feds dovetails nicely with the political ideology of the current FCC chairman Julian Genachowski, who like all Obama administration flunkies sees 'rights' where others see 'priviledges'. Just listen to how the agency put the question of providing broadband and cell service to those in rural and poor communities. "The goal of reform is to provide everyone with affordable voice and broadband," the agency said.

Between 14 million and 24 million Americans lack access to broadband, "and immediate prospects for deployment to them are bleak," the FCC said in a report last year. "Many of these Americans are poor or live in rural areas that will remain unserved without reform of the universal service program and other changes," the report said.
    But who says that cheap or free broadband is anything more than a luxury?
    Well, another Obama flunkie, Rahm Emanuel, that's who. As we reported in June, the new mayor of Chicago was all excited to proclaim the wonderful news of free internet service to poor kids in Chicago's worst neighborhoods. And how could Mayor Emanuel pay for this new 'civil right'? Well, because the federal government extorted the money from Comcast when it wanted to buy NBC-Universal. Once again FCC chairman Genachowski was all about "helping the kids" by forcing the internet provider to give poor kids free netbooks, laptops, and internet service, indefinitely. And who is going to pay for this gift? Well, of course the rest of us poor saps who actually pay our bills.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/capito...#ixzz1Tw4GKWjo

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

gee I wonder what group of people benefit greatly from this program, let me guess, no i cant i will be a racist if i state the facts

horja1
    Grrrrrr
    horja1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

a few more freebies and those not working will have more benefits than those employed

unfukkinreal
    unfukkinreal's Avatar Become A Pro!

The facts are the free Shit goes to

The dumb and poor.

That's not racist.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

Quote Originally Posted by maersksealand View Post
    Guys...what the article doesn't say is that after the 250 free minutes are over...those parasites can buy $50000 minutes for $5...

Pennsylvanians on public assistance now have a new 'civil right' -- free cell phones. Mea
    nwhile, the rest of us get to pay higher cell bills as a result.
    Recently, a federal government program called the Universal Service Fund came to the Keystone State and some residents are thrilled because it means they can enjoy 250 minutes a month and a handset for free, just because they don't have the money to pay for it. Through Assurance Wireless and SafeLink from Tracfone Wireless these folks get to reach out and touch someone while the cost of their service is paid for by everyone else. You see, the telecommunications companies are funding the Universal Service Fund to the tune of $4 billion a year because the feds said they have to and in order to recoup their money, the companies turn around and hike their fees to paying customers. But those of use paying for the free service for the poor, should be happy about this infuriating situation, says Gary Carter, manager of national partnerships for Assurance, because "the program is about peace of mind." Free cell service means "one less bill that someone has to pay, so they can pay their rent or for day care...it is a right to have peace of mind," Cater explained.
    Well, the telecommunications companies don't seem to love providing this 'right' to poor folks because they are trying to renegotiate the deal with the FCC. The telecommunications companies like Verizon and AT&T want more paying customers, but their desire to reform their deal with the feds dovetails nicely with the political ideology of the current FCC chairman Julian Genachowski, who like all Obama administration flunkies sees 'rights' where others see 'priviledges'. Just listen to how the agency put the question of providing broadband and cell service to those in rural and poor communities. "The goal of reform is to provide everyone with affordable voice and broadband," the agency said.

Between 14 million and 24 million Americans lack access to broadband, "and immediate prospects for deployment to them are bleak," the FCC said in a report last year. "Many of these Americans are poor or live in rural areas that will remain unserved without reform of the universal service program and other changes," the report said.
    But who says that cheap or free broadband is anything more than a luxury?
    Well, another Obama flunkie, Rahm Emanuel, that's who. As we reported in June, the new mayor of Chicago was all excited to proclaim the wonderful news of free internet service to poor kids in Chicago's worst neighborhoods. And how could Mayor Emanuel pay for this new 'civil right'? Well, because the federal government extorted the money from Comcast when it wanted to buy NBC-Universal. Once again FCC chairman Genachowski was all about "helping the kids" by forcing the internet provider to give poor kids free netbooks, laptops, and internet service, indefinitely. And who is going to pay for this gift? Well, of course the rest of us poor saps who actually pay our bills.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/capito...#ixzz1Tw4GKWjo
    I see crime going up in these neighborhoods when these computers get stolen.

frankzig
    frankzig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3622

I think alot are missing the point on these phones,my mother has one helped her out a few times.you cant rack up phone calls(unless you buy minutes),phones are cheap.you get about one call per day before minutes run out at EOM.Have to send in proof to qualify.Of course there will be people who find ways to abuse this,just look at the ghosts,point scammers and abusers here.People will always find a way.But if something happens(eg. fall,power outage)she can make that call for help

PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

Yesterday while reviewing my cell phone bill, I noticed that I am being charged 2 bucs and change a month for a "school district tax". I know it is chump change, like points here are, but w t f! I am tired of kicking in to pay school taxes. I have none (kids), and with good reason. I did not want them to have to learn Chinese, as that is where we are heading.
    I feel that if you want a house or a boat or a child and yes even a cell phone that you should pay your own fukking way.
    I hope you will excuse me, but I hope most days that the Mayan calendar is correct and that next year on Dec 21 shit hits the fan. This slow ride to becoming a third world nation, and the people and politicians doing nothing about it are starting to piss me off.

jmush
    jmush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

the more you give these people the lazier they will get...i say cut welfare drastically...enough with the handouts...only the strong survive

PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

Quote Originally Posted by jmush View Post
    the more you give these people the lazier they will get...i say cut welfare drastically...enough with the handouts...only the strong survive
    Corporate welfare costs money as well Ya know? More than the gov`t is giving the poor.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

The free cell phone comes with the free cheeze

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

maersksealand
    maersksealand's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by frankzig View Post
    I think alot are missing the point on these phones,my mother has one helped her out a few times.you cant rack up phone calls(unless you buy minutes),phones are cheap.you get about one call per day before minutes run out at EOM.Have to send in proof to qualify.Of course there will be people who find ways to abuse this,just look at the ghosts,point scammers and abusers here.People will always find a way.But if something happens(eg. fall,power outage)she can make that call for help

in a normal society you should puckin' pay $10 a month to add a second line to your wireless provider to help your mom...not having me or others pay for your mother cell phone.

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

in a normal society you should puckin' pay $10 a month to add a second line to your wireless provider to help your mom...not having me or others pay for your mother cell phone.
    Ding Ding Ding.

I also wonder how many power outages she has a month to require 250 minutes. Maybe she falls down a lot. Sounds like assisted living may be in order.

Seriously, we all know we are paying for a phone for her so she can talk to her family and friends the VAST MAJORITY of the time. That's not a neccesity, it's a luxury.

If it were really about emergency circumstances, the phones (which are not as cheap as he may think to produce but that's another topic) could be programmed to only dial 911. The 250 is just another give away on our dime.

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

that is how it should work, but it probably never will again. Blame FDR.... fuggin democRAT.

jrmartin.mig
    jrmartin.mig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9124

The days of America being a powerhouse ended when everyone decided they were entitled to things simply because they were American.

jimkotecki
    jimkotecki's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin.mig View Post
    The days of America being a powerhouse ended when everyone decided they were entitled to things simply because they were American.
    Man...100% on the ball here.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

I like the idea of large corporations giving back to the people, but they shouldn't be forced to.
    Like you guys said, we are paying for it. I would rather have corps give us reduced rates as
    a way to give back.

You can give more to your electric company to help people who need it. It's volunteered,
    not forced.

I use TracFone, a pay as you go phone, which averages out to about $10 a month.
    It has internet (sucks) and can take pictures. The phone cost $20. 400 min. and 1 yr
    service for $100. $100 + $20 = $10 a month. Includes text and long distance.

Sorry for the advertisement.

kickenchicken
    kickenchicken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4128

and this is another reason our stupid government has this country in debt to everyone around the world