Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Quote Originally Posted by xKMACKx View Post
    I do not play huge ml favorites "that can't lose anymore"
    It's a value game though I would strongly urge most who don't know what the hell they'e doing (such as myself) to avoid anything over -170

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Every morning, I'm mature.

Then once the games start, I shake like a crack fiend and bet almost everything on the board.

So in short, no. It's amazing, though, how often my top 2 or 3 plays hit. If I can cut myself off and stick with quality over quantity and patience over feeding the action junkie in me, my bankroll will grow exponentially. I know it. And I'll get there someday.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Very few mature as a gambler because it is a disease not a life thing

Diseases cannot be controlled

Yes you could mature a little but eventually you go right back to your bad habits as for you Extra Innings that is embezzlement of company phones so you can gamble. I do not give a fuk if I tell everyone, it was public everywhere especially in NJ..I CHECKED

Now it will be a matter of time your involved in shady stuff again to stay in the game and have all the action you crave.

MichaelWaters
    MichaelWaters's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Very few mature as a gambler because it is a disease not a life thing

Diseases cannot be controlled

Yes you could mature a little but eventually you go right back to your bad habits as for you Extra Innings that is embezzlement of company phones so you can gamble. I do not give a fuk if I tell everyone, it was public everywhere especially in NJ..I CHECKED

Now it will be a matter of time your involved in shady stuff again to stay in the game and have all the action you crave.
    f u my high and mighty maybe he has a natural urge to embezzle that is 999999999999% greater than urs. yet he really umm didnt uhhhh ya know

Duby
    Duby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4602

I have learned to master money management. That was the hardest thing to learn. Don't remember last time I made a deposit but I can sure remember many withdrawals!!

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

I have learned that gambling is a form of entertainment and I get the same high I get when I win, from a loss.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

yes better at picking out situational spots

cala56
    cala56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5810

Play more underdogs than favorites.

Legions36
    Legions36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7744

I have matured not to take my hard earned winnings anymore from nice win streaks and put it all in and lose my stack from what i thought to be winners. Im as solid as they come nowadays and have been enjoying things much more since i have my longterm strategy in place, now i can never go broke and it feels good. Im so glad i found SBR forum as it made me much a smarter bettor.

135steward
    135steward's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 565

First, to say gambling is a disease, as jjgold said, is way off the mark. It's like saying alcohol is a disease. The disease is based in your psychophysiology, not the opportunity.
    Anyway, to answer your question, I matured as a gambler about a year ago when I started keeping records. I noticed I was losing about $100/month on maybe $1500/month of action over the first six months. Then when I stopped overextending to where I'd have to win the next bet or re-up. So over the past six months I've lost a total of maybe $200 on about $1000/month. Those of us unaware of our history are doomed to repeat it.
    Great forum, by the way. Not so much cyberbullying like you find in so many other places.

70kgman
    70kgman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1895

1. Learn how to read the post game stats/box score so you can learn from your mistakes and evolve as a capper. After a play, you should be able to read the post game box score and be able to separate the variance out of the equation and tell if it was a good pick or a bad pick regardless of what the final result was. This also allows you to test out lots of different models/angles/whatever and be able to tell if it is something worth pursuing or something to throw away over a very small sample size.

2. As much as you want to believe you have a deep knowledge of the entire league and know all the players and teams well enough to cap off instinct and common sense, you don't. So build a math based model for everything you plan on capping, at least to use a springboard to isolate specific plays you can cap or look into further post-model. Track and experiment for play money before wagering real money on it. Trial and error. I probably have one successful model/angle for every 20 failed experiments. This eliminates "action plays" from your arsenal, and every play you make it robotic and unemotional, also making it easier to lose.

3. Money management (obviously) and patience. Once I get money into an account (whether by a deposit or contest winnings), it is in there for good. Even if I have 30k overall scattered over a few different books, if one of the books only has $150 in it, I am going to be making $4 or $5 bets at that book until the bankroll grows enough to increase the bet size. In short, look at it like a long term investment, not a get rich quick scheme.

* I could name a million other petty little things, but they seem like common sense and have probably already been covered in this thread.

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

Very much so after taking long break from 1986-2004

nikosgr
    Real pro
    nikosgr's Avatar Become A Pro!

It was 2003 when i had my 1st bet in life. It was against a collegue at work, and we bet on who will win some elections. My prediction was based in some gullops, and of course i won.
    After that bet, i thought that i might bet for living and started searching and searching. I started arbitrage at the end of 2003. By those years, arbitrage was piece of cake. I m still arbing, but after 8 years of action, i m also doing other things in order to get bookmaker's money. During all these years, i studied possibilities and in general the way that maths influence life. Then, it was the elliot wave theory, and i implement it in the stock market with good profits.
    Now, i m running www.arbusers.com , a forum dedicated in getting bookmaker's money. I cooperate with other pro gamblers and we find ways staying at the front line of competition.
    I never thought that my gambling carreer would be so long. Every year i say ''this is the last year'' but then something happens and i m still in the job.
    BTW, SBR was/is a great help in my gambling life.

KC
    KC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

After over twenty years gambling I am so much more disciplined, am able to not chase losses and manage money so much better

BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

By not betting on everyone's lock of the year choices here on the forum

757sFinest
    757sFinest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

still learning.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57565

When I started out I took favorites and overs like all newbies. Now I look for dogs and unders first. Alot more value for the most part with those wagers since most are on favs and ovs.

Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by nikosgr View Post
    It was 2003 when i had my 1st bet in life. It was against a collegue at work, and we bet on who will win some elections. My prediction was based in some gullops, and of course i won.
    After that bet, i thought that i might bet for living and started searching and searching. I started arbitrage at the end of 2003. By those years, arbitrage was piece of cake. I m still arbing, but after 8 years of action, i m also doing other things in order to get bookmaker's money. During all these years, i studied possibilities and in general the way that maths influence life. Then, it was the elliot wave theory, and i implement it in the stock market with good profits.
    Now, i m running www.arbusers.com , a forum dedicated in getting bookmaker's money. I cooperate with other pro gamblers and we find ways staying at the front line of competition.
    I never thought that my gambling carreer would be so long. Every year i say ''this is the last year'' but then something happens and i m still in the job.
    BTW, SBR was/is a great help in my gambling life.
    You're like the International version of ZetaPsi808 ...good luck with the site

Counterfeit Cash
    Bets the under 95% of the time...
    Counterfeit Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 277

nope, I haven't

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8478

gamblers rarely change or mature. If you are one of the few then God bless you.

clip1
    clip1's Avatar Become A Pro!

it's a marathon not a sprint
    yes i've matured alot after about 10 years of loosing

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Yeah, I've matured. I only bet blackjack now and realize that betting baseball is too much of a hassle.

SmashThat
    SmashThat's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've learned to handle losing!

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Company PHONES??

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

I definitely feel I've matured as a gambler. Very much so.

Before, I would simply bet college football based on which team had the cooler helmet. Now....I factor in ALL of the uniform. Helmets, jerseys, even socks and cleats. I mean, sure, its a complex formula, but well worth the extra effort. Just look at how tacky some of Oregons uni's have been lately. The neon yellow combined with the chartreuse?? Seriously....total lock material.

Another of my models is betting my hometown teams to win every game. Still fine tuning this one, though.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

yes I used to bet with my own money, now I take loans and never pay them back

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

havent done a 15-team parlay in months....

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

money management for sure

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

no, I haven't. It has been the same song and dance for years.

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

i've been winning consistently since i've started, so no.

dlweaver
    one day at a time....
    dlweaver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I have withdrew when up instead of increasing risk and going broke

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

Quote Originally Posted by 70kgman View Post
    1. Learn how to read the post game stats/box score so you can learn from your mistakes and evolve as a capper. After a play, you should be able to read the post game box score and be able to separate the variance out of the equation and tell if it was a good pick or a bad pick regardless of what the final result was. This also allows you to test out lots of different models/angles/whatever and be able to tell if it is something worth pursuing or something to throw away over a very small sample size.

2. As much as you want to believe you have a deep knowledge of the entire league and know all the players and teams well enough to cap off instinct and common sense, you don't. So build a math based model for everything you plan on capping, at least to use a springboard to isolate specific plays you can cap or look into further post-model. Track and experiment for play money before wagering real money on it. Trial and error. I probably have one successful model/angle for every 20 failed experiments. This eliminates "action plays" from your arsenal, and every play you make it robotic and unemotional, also making it easier to lose.

3. Money management (obviously) and patience. Once I get money into an account (whether by a deposit or contest winnings), it is in there for good. Even if I have 30k overall scattered over a few different books, if one of the books only has $150 in it, I am going to be making $4 or $5 bets at that book until the bankroll grows enough to increase the bet size. In short, look at it like a long term investment, not a get rich quick scheme.

* I could name a million other petty little things, but they seem like common sense and have probably already been covered in this thread.
    Good advice for all inexperienced players.

Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I definitely feel I've matured as a gambler. Very much so.

Before, I would simply bet college football based on which team had the cooler helmet. Now....I factor in ALL of the uniform. Helmets, jerseys, even socks and cleats. I mean, sure, its a complex formula, but well worth the extra effort. Just look at how tacky some of Oregons uni's have been lately. The neon yellow combined with the chartreuse?? Seriously....total lock material.

Another of my models is betting my hometown teams to win every game. Still fine tuning this one, though.

First 12