wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

america becoming land of renters

staggering shift

U.S. Moves Toward Home ‘Rentership Society,’ Morgan Stanley Says

Q

The U.S. homeownership rate has fallen below 60 percent when delinquent borrowers are excluded, a sign of the country’s move toward a “rentership society,” Morgan Stanley said in a report today.
    The national rate, which stood at 66.4 percent at March 31, would be 59.7 percent without an estimated 7.5 million delinquent homeowners who may be forced into renting, according to Morgan Stanley analysts led by Oliver Chang. The lowest U.S. homeownership rate on record was 62.9 percent in 1965, the first year the Census Bureau began reporting the data.
    The homeownership rate reached an all-time high of 69.2 percent in 2004 as relaxed lending standards fueled home sales and President George W. Bush promoted an “ownership society.” Mortgage delinquencies, foreclosures and tighter credit for housing loans are reducing property buying, Chang said.
    “Taken together they are forcibly moving the country away from being an ownership society,” Chang, based in San Francisco, said in an e-mail. “This change is only beginning, and is moving the country towards becoming a rentership society.”
    U.S. existing-home sales dropped 0.8 percent in June to an annual pace of 4.77 million, a seven-month low, the National Association of Realtors reported today. The median projection in a Bloomberg News survey called for an increase to 4.9 million.
    Apartment Demand

The shift provides opportunities for builders of multifamily homes and investors in single-family houses leased to renters, Chang said in a phone interview. The U.S. apartment vacancy rate fell to 6 percent in the second quarter, the lowest in more than three years, research firm Reis Inc. said July 7.
    Most Americans still aspire to own their houses and don’t want to be renters forever, said Rick Davidson, president and chief executive officer of Century 21 Real Estate LLC in Parsippany, New Jersey.
    “It isn’t about the financial aspects, but about building a family and having a part of the American dream,” Davidson, whose company is a unit of Realogy Corp., said today during an interview at Bloomberg’s offices in New York. “What really drives purchases at the end of the day is emotional and has to do with lifestyle.”
    There were 112.2 million U.S. households at the end of March, according to the Census Bureau. Almost one-third of the country’s 76 million homeowners had no debt or mortgage on their home as of 2009, the most recent year for which the data are available.
    To contact the reporter on this story: John Gittelsohn in New York at johngitt@bloomberg.net.
    To contact the editor responsible for this story: Kara Wetzel at kwetzel@bloomberg.net.
    Want to save this for later? Add it to your Queue!

‹ Prev
    1 of 3

Next ›

Videos You May Like
    Play VideoNomura's Koo Interview on China's Housing Mar…
    Play VideoMorgan Stanley's Roach Interview, June 15
    Play VideoMorgan Stanley Smith Barney's Applegate on …

by Taboola

Related News

Want to save this for later? Add it to your Queue!
    Sponsored Links

Trade the biggest market
    Forex. The currency market is open 24 hours a day, 5.5 days a week.
    GFTforex.com

SpeedTrader Online Trader
    Day Trade as low as $.39 per 100 shares. Free practice account.
    www.speedtrader.com

Try Dealbook® Free
    Take a peek at GFT's award-winning Forex trading software.
    GFTforex.com

Trade for $.39/100 shares
    Unlimited shares, fast executions. Competitive prices & powerful tools.
    www.speedtrader.com

Buy a link »

More Stories

More News »

Advertisement

Most Popular Stories

More Most Popular Stories »

Sponsored Links

Advertisement

Advertisements

Last update: 6:51 AM ET, Jul 21
    Sponsored Links

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25129

Glad I own a bunch of rentals

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Money is in Apts
    People cannot afford homes anymore

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Those people shouldn't have had homes in the 1st place. Credit was easier to get than passing emissions tests. Everything is just averaging out as it should.

This place is loaded with folks that will be paying their landlords bills for the rest of their lives.
    Points Awarded:

eidolon gave I/O 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jbrent95
    jbrent95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1450

Its good to be a rental property.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    Glad I own a bunch of rentals
    Ditto. Home ownership still far & away the best investment. Especially when you own several. Recessions are when fortunes are made.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

renting cheaper in the long run, unless housing prices are ramping up (which they certainly won't be due to baby boomers downsizing).

anyone that thinks rent is throwing money away is crazy, take any homeowner over the last 10 years and add up their:
    1) interest
    2) real estate taxes
    3) insurance
    4) maintenance
    5) higher utility cost (i pay $200/month just for water!)
    6) 6% commission every time you sell a house
    etc etc etc

the homeowner (who's house is probably worth less than he paid for it) has paid way more than the renter and has also had to cut the grass and put up with all the headaches of home "ownership"

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Ditto. Home ownership still far & away the best investment. Especially when you own several. Recessions are when fortunes are made.
    opie like anything else it's all about timing. in texas nothing got too expensive, here in milwaukee i can guarantee you that me buying a 2700 sq foot house for $380k 7 years ago looked like a good "investment".
    and now i couldn't get 300 for it so i for one would disagree with you, between the depreciation of the house, maintenance, taxes, etc i have spent well over $200,000 to live in a mediocre house for 7 years...

i could've easily rented a decent place for $1500/month that had indoor pool/fitness/etc and i'd be over $100k better off than i am now and counting.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Owning a home is considered a benefit, because a renter barely ever saves the money that is saved by renting.

If you are an owner, than the equity of that home is the same as a savings account....assuming you can sell the house.

I own a nice home, in a nice neighborhood. Therefore I would always prefer to own. Houses are still selling well in our neighborhood.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    renting cheaper in the long run, unless housing prices are ramping up (which they certainly won't be due to baby boomers downsizing).

anyone that thinks rent is throwing money away is crazy, take any homeowner over the last 10 years and add up their:
    1) interest
    2) real estate taxes
    3) insurance
    4) maintenance
    5) higher utility cost (i pay $200/month just for water!)
    6) 6% commission every time you sell a house
    etc etc etc

the homeowner (who's house is probably worth less than he paid for it) has paid way more than the renter and has also had to cut the grass and put up with all the headaches of home "ownership"

This is spot on

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I'm glad I own a house. Renting is pissing money away.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post

Yep...

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Hell nobody even owns land in the united states. What sense does it make to own a house on some property they can take away from you?
    You have to pay rent (land taxes) every year for the property. If you do not pay it they will take it away from you.
    Nobody owns anything anymore except material bull sh1t.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

fixing up a two family rental property as we speak...id love more too....

i love watching my retard friends drop 900 bucks a month on their apartments

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I developed and built over 1,000 homes since 1995 and almost got busted in 07-09. Renting the spec houses is the only thing that kept me afloat. You always have a few deadbeats, but I think the prospects for rental property are good for the next 10 years.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If America is becoming a land of lenders you become a landlord. You buy houses, fix them up and rent them. Then use the rental income to buy more houses and rent them.

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I agree. I have purchased several properties over past two-three years and have been able to pick them up at half to a third of costs to build them. Can rent properties for 1200 and only having 400-500 mtg makes cash flow very easy to max out.

SRBI
    SRBI's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tick tock...tick tock...BOOM!

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

the gov tax the shit out of you if you own property in USA. state gov and schools are all broke, so they are going after the home owners.

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff

Quote Originally Posted by pico View Post
    the gov tax the shit out of you if you own property in USA. state gov and schools are all broke, so they are going after the home owners.
    At least millage increases have not kept up with the decreases in property values

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

ownership of land is good if you are getting rent

in todays world owning a house and living there is not as good as it sounds

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Our nation blows.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cant call it, and Emily_Haines

LockPickMaster
    LockPickMaster's Avatar Become A Pro!

How about that black guy that is squatting in that 300k house in a white neighborhood. The house is foreclosed and the bank went out of business so in 3 years he assumes the title as long as he lives there. Not bad for paying the 16 bucks fee to get the title. Somewhere in Texas.

denn333
    Update your status
    denn333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Renting is peace of mind.

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

IMO, the reason we are becoming the land of renters is because the last generation or two never learned how to save $, so most will never be able to come up with the down payment to own their own house.

later

str8upslik
    str8upslik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

we needed this much proof to figure this out?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by capitalist pig View Post
    IMO, the reason we are becoming the land of renters is because the last generation or two never learned how to save $, so most will never be able to come up with the down payment to own their own house.

later
    Most kids these days spend their money on iphones, ipads and all the other junk so there is no money left to save after paying all the bills.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    renting is paying money for the use of property. is making a car payment pissing money away?

make a simple spreadsheet and add up all the money and value of your time that you have spent on your house that you wouldn't have spent renting. then compare that to rent payments and you might be as shocked as i was.

conservatively i have spent over $210,000 in 7 years. no amount of spin can change that fact. yes if you live somewhere with cheaper real estate taxes/housing that could make all the difference in the world (my taxes alone are over 6k/year).

nobody has ever gone bankrupt by renting, but i know more than a couple people that had to declare bankruptcy because they couldn't afford their house payments. think about that for a minute. they call it the "american dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.

milwaukee mike

and for those of you that say you "own your house" do you have a mortgage? if so then you don't own anything.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Built a home 3 years ago.

Cost 194,000

I've been paying 1401 a month for Taxes/Mortgage

Now would I rather be spending 1400 a month on something that I can sell and get money back?

Or would I rather spend 1200 a month and receive nothing back for 20 years?

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    renting is paying money for the use of property. is making a car payment pissing money away? make a simple spreadsheet and add up all the money and value of your time that you have spent on your house that you wouldn't have spent renting. then compare that to rent payments and you might be as shocked as i was. conservatively i have spent over $210,000 in 7 years. no amount of spin can change that fact. yes if you live somewhere with cheaper real estate taxes/housing that could make all the difference in the world (my taxes alone are over 6k/year). nobody has ever gone bankrupt by renting, but i know more than a couple people that had to declare bankruptcy because they couldn't afford their house payments. think about that for a minute. they call it the "american dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
    We call those people dumbasses. Don't go out and spend more than you can afford. If you don't have a steady job or secure job, don't go making outrageous purchases, or taking out BIG loans.

dherd
    dherd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

we are looking straight into the results of 30 yrs of conservative rule, destruction of the middle class and the american dream. conservatives run for office under the mantra that govt doesnt work, then when they attain the reins of govt they prove it.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Still about 1000 times better than most of China.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Opie - what are your MUD rates like in the Dallas area? We have a house in Spring (north of Houston) that we let family rent to basically pay the mortgage each month and we pick up prop taxes and so forth....the MUD rates were suppose to go away a year ago and well, you know how that goes.

Any better in Dallas area?

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

That just means there will be more property for guys like me to invest in. Seriously though, renting can be a good option when the economy is on a downturn. Property doesn't make a good investment when the expenses of owning a home outpaces the appreciation in value.

12 Last