LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    Funny, you have no probs with Timmy and Matty, but you are astounded by Voges? Compare all 3's stats and then look at yourself in the mirror.
    What is there to look at? Vogelsong has only pitched 70-odd innings.

Lincecum and Cain are legitimate All-Stars with electric stuff. Vogelsong is much more hittable, but he is living the dream stat-wise. He is a fraud that was never this good statistically before, and you don't suddenly discover yourself at age 34. Vogelsong's first half stats are a total aberration that do not truly reflect his mediocre at best ability.

If you really think Vogelsong deserves to be in the All-Star game, then you can also make a case for Phillip Humber in the American League, who also came out of nowhere and whose numbers are comparable to Vogelsong, only with more innings.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Brian Wilson didn't earn it

Kimbrel, Storen, and Cordero all clearly deserved it over him. There's a few other guys I would personally take over Wilson as well.

All star game is joke
    John Axford for one, he did 18 saves in a row.
    0 ERA in June, 12 saves. guy has been a beast since he blew his first save, in the first game of the year.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post

Lincecum and Cain are legitimate All-Stars with electric stuff. Vogelsong is much more hittable, but he is living the dream stat-wise. He is a fraud that was never this good statistically before, and you don't suddenly discover yourself at age 34. Vogelsong's first half stats are a total aberration that do not truly reflect his mediocre at best ability.

If you really think Vogelsong deserves to be in the All-Star game, then you can also make a case for Phillip Humber in the American League, who also came out of nowhere and whose numbers are comparable to Vogelsong, only with more innings.
    You say they are more electrical because of their name and history. You say, " Vogelsong's first half stats are a total aberration that do not truly reflect his mediocre at best ability.". I agree with you, but he has the #'s to support being on the All Star team. Again you must have a grudge or something because you are talking out of your ass as for reasons why he shouldn't be on. Because he is a 34 year old nobody that sucked? C'mon guy.

Who cares about Phil Hummer? He is in another league. You could make a case Vogelsong could have been selected before Cain and The Freak, but as a manager would you want to do that?

You make it seem like this is so outlandish, like when the first Lewis/Holyfield match was a draw. Now that was crazy, not this.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Vogelsong by far the most deserving candidate on SF, Mike Adams was robbed complete joke best pitcher in baseball.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    You say they are more electrical because of their name and history. You say, " Vogelsong's first half stats are a total aberration that do not truly reflect his mediocre at best ability.". I agree with you, but he has the #'s to support being on the All Star team. Again you must have a grudge or something because you are talking out of your ass as for reasons why he shouldn't be on. Because he is a 34 year old nobody that sucked? C'mon guy.

Who cares about Phil Hummer? He is in another league. You could make a case Vogelsong could have been selected before Cain and The Freak, but as a manager would you want to do that?

You make it seem like this is so outlandish, like when the first Lewis/Holyfield match was a draw. Now that was crazy, not this.
    It seems we half-agree and half disagree.

I guess it depends on what criteria you use for selecting All-Stars. I think the goal is to have the best players, and as I said, there are at least 10 pitchers better than Vogelsong that are more deserving, regardless of what Vogel's stats say. This is a perfect example of stats being very deceptive

And it is absurd to say that Vogelsong is MORE deserving than Timmy and Matt. If you had to choose pitchers for your own team, I am 100% sure that even you would take the first two guys and not even give Vogelsong a thought..Vogelsong was taken on his stats alone and his stats are fraudulent. Besides, he would not have made the team if Bochy wasn't the manager due to his light workload.

james4512
    james4512's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 139

sabathia didnt make it theres no reason to even have an all star game

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Quote Originally Posted by james4512 View Post
    sabathia didnt make it theres no reason to even have an all star game
    The other Wilson over CC is a travesty.

rm18
    Update your status

If you want to win the game you take Jimenez but stats have to matter
    Last edited by rm18; 07-03-11 at 06:42 PM. Reason: kershaw on team

stevenash

^
    correct, it's what the fans want

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

It seems we half-agree and half disagree.

I guess it depends on what criteria you use for selecting All-Stars. I think the goal is to have the best players, and as I said, there are at least 10 pitchers better than Vogelsong that are more deserving, regardless of what Vogel's stats say. This is a perfect example of stats being very deceptive

And it is absurd to say that Vogelsong is MORE deserving than Timmy and Matt. If you had to choose pitchers for your own team, I am 100% sure that even you would take the first two guys and not even give Vogelsong a thought..Vogelsong was taken on his stats alone and his stats are fraudulent. Besides, he would not have made the team if Bochy wasn't the manager due to his light workload.
    Yes we agree and disagree. Do I think he would have made the team if Bochy wasn't the manager? I don't know and would lean towards no. Can you say it is criminal that he made the team? Is it so crazy that an investigation should start? Who are 10 pitchers that are more deserving? If you don't want to take the time to list them, don't, I understand. We are having a discussion and if you asked me I wouldn't want to waste the time so its fine.

I really think if this was a 22 year old kid just up from the minors vs what it really is, you wouldn't feel the same. It shouldn't be like that. If Voges had 6 more starts or whatever like the other 2 had and his era was 2.75 and had 2 more wins, would he be deserving then?

When you say And it is absurd to say that Vogelsong is MORE deserving than Timmy and Matt, how is that based on stats?

Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2093

Make a case for Humber? You're selling my boy Humber a bit short. It's a complete joke he didn't make the team. Who's been better in the AL? Verlander, Shields, Weaver, and Beckett. Anybody else?

I wouldn't say he's come out of nowhere either. He's a former 3rd overall pick in 2004. You don't get picked that high unless you've got some major potential. He's already gone through Tommy John surgery and was never given a chance when healthy only pitching in 50 major league innings before this year. He's only 28 years old.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

cant wait to see timmy and the rest of the SF pitchers tear it up

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Who's been better in the AL? Verlander, Shields, Weaver, and Beckett. Anybody else?
    Sabathia

rm18
    Update your status

Pineda better too

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Sabathia
    He has not been better.

CC's 3.05 era, 1.21 whip, and .251 BAA is not better than Humber's 2.69 era, 0.98 whip, and .201 BAA

Sabathia has allowed 4 runs or more 7 times including 6 times in the last 2 months. Humber just twice and hasn't allowed more than 4 all year. His worst start of the year was 4 runs in 5.1 innings.

Humber 12 quality starts, CC 10

Please don't tell me you're basing this on the most overrated category in the game, wins? Are you? If Humber was getting 6.8 runs of support like CC is getting then he would have more wins than him. But he's not. He's getting almost half that at 3.6 per game. It's not his fault his team doesn't score for him.

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Pineda better too
    He has not been better either. Numbers are pretty much identical as you can get. Only difference is Pineda pitches in a major pitchers park while Humber pitches in a hitters park

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have no problem with Lincecum, Cain and Wilson, but VOGELSONG?

Bochy wasn't kidding about being bias.

I mean yeah he is a nice story and all, but there are at least 10 other pitchers that didn't make it that are better than him. He doesn't even qualify for ERA title because he lacks the innings.

Look at the stats..

He's 6-1 with a 2.13 ERA and 1.15 WHIP in 85 innings. If anyone deserves it, he does.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Timmy is 6 wins 7 losses...

How is that all star worthy???

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post

Because he is still probably one of the 5 best pitchers in the National League?

The only reason he is 5-6 is Giants offense, Tim has a 3.14 ERA, 1,19 WHIP, .230 BAA and 126 strikeouts in 117.1 innings.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

All Star Picking is a joke. Especially for pitchers since they only pitch 1 inning. You can pick the best pitcher and he can have a bad inning at any time of the week.

tcmoody99
    tcmoody99's Avatar Become A Pro!

how did none of oaklands hitters make it

soli
    soli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22124

San Fran has a very strong pitching staff and I expect atleast 3 to 4 pitchers to go each year for the next couple of years.

azn624
    Update your status
    azn624's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Tommy Hanson should've gotten in and not Vogelsong.

Doc JS

Because he is still probably one of the 5 best pitchers in the National League?

The only reason he is 5-6 is Giants offense, Tim has a 3.14 ERA, 1,19 WHIP, .230 BAA and 126 strikeouts in 117.1 innings.
    That's like saying, "other than that how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln."
    Sorry LT, we aren't paying off for what he's done in the past. He's 6-7. The reasons he's 6-7 are really immaterial. Sorry, he doesn't deserve to go this year over someone like Tommy Hanson. He just doesn't...

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

If Vogelsong is All Star worthy this season with only 84 innings pitched, Antonio Bastardo should be an all star as well. Without comparing innings pitched, the guy is the best reliever in the NL this season. But the fact that he has only pitched 31 innings keeps him out... which should also keep Vogesong out.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

That's like saying, "other than that how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln."
    Sorry LT, we aren't paying off for what he's done in the past. He's 6-7. The reasons he's 6-7 are really immaterial. Sorry, he doesn't deserve to go this year over someone like Tommy Hanson. He just doesn't...
    Hanson is 10-4 with 103 K per 96.1 innings a 2.52 ERA & .192 BA

Lincecum is 6-7 with 126 K per 117.1 innings a 3.12 ERA & .230 BA

Apparently stats don't matter in MLB.

Holdin Aces
    Holdin Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Vogelsong and Wilson are both very questionable to me.

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

hanson will be there dont worry

guys that pitch on sunday cant pitch AllStar game

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

way to showcase to everyone that you know nothing about baseball

wins and losses dont mean shit fool

its all about era and whip

A guy can throw 8 innings, not allow an earned run and lose because his team cant hit

Doc JS

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    way to showcase to everyone that you know nothing about baseball

wins and losses dont mean shit fool

its all about era and whip

A guy can throw 8 innings, not allow an earned run and lose because his team cant hit
    Look, I get you are a Giants fan, but the name calling really isn't necessary.
    I will not argue that wins and losses are not the best indicator of pitching. But name for me the last time a starting pitcher with a 6-7 record was named to an all star team.
    But if its meaningful stats you'd like:
    Hanson 2.52 ERA .192 BA
    Timmy 3.12 ERA .230 BA
    Just admit what Bochy said, he was going to be biased toward his players. He was. End of discusson.

azimm11
    azimm11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1757

this game is becoming more and more of a joke as the years pass..

kaijunn
    kaijunn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1361

alll i care is they better win tonight..

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

He should be biased towards his players, just like all managers in the past have been

they won the fukkin world series

rm18
    Update your status

Adams, Hanson, and Bastardo should of made it but not over Vogelsong he is the most deserving Giant pitcher.

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

i agree adams should be there

First 123 Last