greriWheels
    greriWheels's Avatar Become A Pro!

American tourist left on Great Reef by tour boat company

An American tourist fought off panic when an Australian tour boat company accidentally left him stranded near the Great Barrier Reef in his snorkeling gear. Michigan 28-year-old Ian Cole says he grew frightened when he surfaced and realized the Passions of Paradise tour boat was gone last Saturday. Since American couple Tom and Eileen Lonergan disappeared after being left behind by a boat in nearby Port Douglas in the 1990s, tour companies have followed strict head count rules, the AFP reports. You can watch an Australian TV news report on the incident in the video above. "Panic kicks in, your heart rate goes up, and you don't know what's going to happen. I was sucking water back into my snorkel and was really trying hard to stay calm," Cole told the Sydney Morning Herald. Cole saw another tour boat and says he swam about 15 minutes to reach it. ''When I got to the other boat they looked down like 'what the hell are you doing here?' They said my boat had left 15 minutes ago. I thought they were joking.'' The staff member who failed to do an accurate headcount has been fired, the paper says, and Cole was given a $200 restaurant voucher and a refund for the trip.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

This is your first post....

eldian
    eldian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1062

he must be Ian Cole and wants his story heard

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Solid first post.

But fukk that being left on the reef for shark food. I bet some people would go back with their boyzzz and fukk all them sharks up for scaring them. Tough Being Tough.

Seriously, that's fukked up though. Every snorkel trip I've been on always count as soon as we get back in the boat. That's probably one of the worst places to be left at.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If I was going to go snorkeling in the reef I wouldn't go without a spear gun in case shit like this happens.

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

refund and $200 restaurant voucher? I would just want ten minutes alone in the room with the tour guide
    Last edited by topgame85; 06-30-11 at 08:59 AM.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by topgame85 View Post
    refund and $200 restaurant voucher

Not a bad deal for probably being in one of the most fearful predicaments of his life.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9221

Not to mention safety had allegedly been tightened up since an American couple on their honeymoon where left behind and never found about 10 years ago.

vitalyo
    vitalyo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

They said my boat had left 15 minutes ago.

He is got him self a great deal $200 for 15 min been alone .
    LOL Sounds like American version of Robinzon Kruso

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

This is one of my biggest fears. Freaks me the fukk out.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Not saying that the boat operator didn't f\*\*k up, but how do you not realize that you are alone and the boat is leaving? Seriously, how far away did he swim?

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Dang! I can't imagine. I think I would laugh a little for about 5.879 seconds, then I would say fukkk.

Good first post bro

maersksealand
    maersksealand's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by greriWheels View Post
    An American tourist fought off panic when an Australian tour boat company accidentally left him stranded near the Great Barrier Reef in his snorkeling gear. Michigan 28-year-old Ian Cole says he grew frightened when he surfaced and realized the Passions of Paradise tour boat was gone last Saturday. Since American couple Tom and Eileen Lonergan disappeared after being left behind by a boat in nearby Port Douglas in the 1990s, tour companies have followed strict head count rules, the AFP reports. You can watch an Australian TV news report on the incident in the video above. "Panic kicks in, your heart rate goes up, and you don't know what's going to happen. I was sucking water back into my snorkel and was really trying hard to stay calm," Cole told the Sydney Morning Herald. Cole saw another tour boat and says he swam about 15 minutes to reach it. ''When I got to the other boat they looked down like 'what the hell are you doing here?' They said my boat had left 15 minutes ago. I thought they were joking.'' The staff member who failed to do an accurate headcount has been fired, the paper says, and Cole was given a $200 restaurant voucher and a refund for the trip.
    on more reason to stay at home and gamble

MarlinsFan2212
    MarlinsFan2212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

refund and $200 restaurant voucher? I would just want ten minutes alone in the room with the tour guide

Im sure he will get a lot more. Make up some BS about how hes traumatized for life, and some BS about pain and suffering. Big lawsuit coming.

30K Millionaire
    Fade Yourself
    30K Millionaire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 592

first post on a gambling forum and it's about snorkeling

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

There is a reason the story said American tourist. If the tourist was Italian the headline would have been like this: "Italian tourist sinks Australian boat with captain in it after being left in the open ocean while snorkeling".
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: kmarinouofm

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    There is a reason the story said American tourist. If the tourist was Italian the headline would have been like this: "Italian tourist sinks Australian boat with captain in it after being left in the open ocean while snorkeling".

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Every time I've done something touristy on a boat, it's just inevitable, you start talking to the people around you, and you end up having a good time with other people their on your tour. Well, I would certainly notice if the people weren't on the boat next to me when the boat was about to leave. *shrug*

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10364

unreal story good he made it back

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

no kidding... i would own that boat company by now..

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Every time I've done something touristy on a boat, it's just inevitable, you start talking to the people around you, and you end up having a good time with other people their on your tour. Well, I would certainly notice if the people weren't on the boat next to me when the boat was about to leave. *shrug*
    yeah seriously ? did he go alone on this trip ? no girl or anything? didn't make one friend on the trip? no buddy system ?

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    But fukk that being left on the reef for shark food. I bet some people would go back with their boyzzz and fukk all them sharks up for scaring them. Tough Being Tough.

Wulfman14
    The Great Khali
    Wulfman14's Avatar Become A Pro!

the biggest fear i guess would be dehydration right ? sharks would be a concern but less likely i suppose.

Wulfman14
    The Great Khali
    Wulfman14's Avatar Become A Pro!

btw any of you degens ever see open water. good movie if not check it out.you get to see the woman topless in the beginning too.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfman14 View Post
    the biggest fear i guess would be dehydration right ? sharks would be a concern but less likely i suppose.
    I think hypothermia will kick in before dehydration.

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

I think hypothermia will kick in before dehydration.
    the water that cold down under?

Optional

The water temp is like taking a bath around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfman14 View Post
    Exhaustion, then drowning is the biggest problem. Shark would probably be a less traumatic end really.

ryanjep
    ryanjep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11243

i would def have been scared

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Op is leaving out the fact that another boat was within 10 minutes swim. Granted the one he hopped aboard of was the last of the day. Guy is making a mountain out of a molehill. Personally think the sharks shouldve found and devoured him 4 being such a bitch whinging little prick....

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11662

One of the most interesting first posts ever.

Quit while you're ahead.

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

yeah, that kind of shit trips me out. I would have sued big time. And whooped that guides ass. I would have fed his lifeless body to those damn sharks.

Optional

What the hell would he sue for? For giving him an awful fright?

An accident isn't an excuse to try and make a lottery win for yourself. In Australia you would be laughed out of court.

BTW, the victim was cool. He only asked for a written apology to start with, and when the company refused he just embarrassed them on TV.

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

hey let's look at just what he had to eat with that $200 on his last night in australia.

starting off with a appetizer. mmmmmmmm. must a been hungry swimming 2 miles to nearest boat.

nice side salad

main entree

and finally for dessert.

sushi.

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

and yeah great reef does have sharks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8WyJhU57Bs

joesomebody114
    This industry is f*kked
    joesomebody114's Avatar Become A Pro!

My two biggest fears are probably extreme heights and deep open ocean you will not catch me on a plane over the middle of the atlantic ocean seriously, imagine crashing down from like 30,000 feet in the air landing in the dead center of the ocean and surviving so now you have to worry about soo much sh*t on top of all that its pitch black and u have absolutely no idea whats around or under you for miles and miles and miles till a house-sized whale comes up and swallows you whole and you drown in its stomach acid

eleuropeano
    eleuropeano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1924

The company was Australian, but the staff member was probably Canadian.

12 Last