wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

the death of facebook?

seems people have grown weary of this toy, the CB radio of the new millennium

Facebook fatigue sets in for 100,000 Brits: Users bored with site deactivate accounts amid privacy fears

By Daniel Bates

Last updated at 9:46 PM on 13th June 2011

• 'Facebook fatigue' blamed for drop in users
    • Social network with 600m users has been rocked by privacy scares

The Facebook phenomenon could finally be coming off the boil as members in the UK and America abandon the site.

In a widespread bout of 'Facebook fatigue' 100,000 British users deactivated their accounts last month, tiring of the social network and fearing for their privacy.

Six million people also logged off for good in America as the site seemed to reach saturation point.

Logging off for good: Computer users concerned for their privacy are choosing to shut down the Facebook accounts. (Pictured posed by model)

The rate of growth worldwide has now slowed for a second month in a row and Facebook is relying on developing countries to reach its goal of one billion active users.

The figures suggest that there could be a 'natural limit' for Facebook's saturation and prompted speculation on blogs that, like its failing rival MySpace, the website could one day 'sputter into oblivion'.

More...

Earlier this year executives announced that the number of Facebook accounts held in the UK had reached 30 million, around half the population of the country.

The milestone was an increase of four million from last July and represented the highest saturation of any country in Europe.

Worldwide reach: The map displays links between Facebook friends as lights on a deep blue background

Now however things appear to be changing and last month more than 100,000 in the UK stopped using the website.

In the U.S. there was a similar story as Facebook lost about six million users from the start of May to the end of month, from 155.2 million to 149.4 million.

In Canada the drop was about 1.5 million users, while Russia and Norway saw falls of more than 100,000 users.
    Worldwide Facebook is still expanding and has around 600million users, off the back of strong growth in countries like Mexico and Brazil.
    But according to Eric Eldon, of Inside Facebook, which obtained the figures through analysis of the company's advertising tools, there is a point at which the site can no longer grow once it has established itself in a country.
    The 52nd richest man on Earth: Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has a personal fortune of £8.2billion

'By the time Facebook reaches around 50 per cent of the total population in a given country ... growth generally slows to a halt,' he said.

Internet psychologist Graham Jones said Facebook users would suffer the same kind of 'fatigue' that comes when people get bored of trying anything that is new.

'People get terribly excited about something new and after a while the novelty wears off,' he said.

'Even if it is a new TV series everybody thinks it is fantastic at the beginning and things tail off.

'In all aspects of our lives we are addicted to novelty so Facebook should be the same.

'The reason it is so compelling is that it is the first big website that allows two-way communication between people.

'Humans are social beings and up until about five years ago we did not have a website for direct communication in this way'.
    Facebook has also been beset by a string of concerns over its users' privacy, the most recent of which was over its facial recognition technology which commentators branded 'sinister'.

In response to the figures about falling traffic vtchuck2000 wrote on technology blog CNET that he dumped Facebook when he became aware of the 'alarming details it leaks to the public'.

Privacy fears: Features like 'tag suggestions', where facial recognition algorithms automatically scan photos to suggest who is in them, have spooked users

Facebook was started in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg in his bedroom at Harvard University.

It has gone on to become the largest social networking site in the world and made him the 52nd richest man on Earth with a personal fortune of £8.2billion at the age of 27.

In 2008 it had approximately 100million users and has grown to 600million in just three years.

A spokeswoman for the company said: 'From time to time, we see stories about Facebook losing users in some regions.

'Some of these reports use data extracted from our advertising tool, which provides broad estimates on the reach of Facebook ads and isn't designed to be a source for tracking the overall growth of Facebook.

'We are very pleased with our growth and with the way people are engaged with Facebook. More than 50 per cent of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day.'

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Facebook will die once people stop craving the approval of their peers so in that sense, never.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Not yet but in 10+ years you'll probably never hear facebook again.

Tech moves on to better things fast.

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

facebook is too big to fail

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

No interest in having "fake" friends when I have all of you at SBR.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RudyRuetigger

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

so facebook gains 11 million users, still has almost 150milion US users and we claiming that it is dying?

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

it will eventually fail like any other "big thing". That dosent mean the concept is un profitable though. In the grand scheme of things the owner is a multi billionaire and therefore it can never truly be called a failure even if every user of the site deactivated there account tomorrow.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

Never joined because of those privacy issues. For me the reward is not worth the risk.

AMBlai01
    SBR Resident Drunk
    AMBlai01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2152

it will remain constant after awhile, sure some people will leave but others will come.

It had its boom and now it will level off for good. It is way too big to go away completely. Too many people rely on it for many reasons for it to disappear.

Preston09
    You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?
    Preston09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

It's not going anywhere! To many idiots in the world thinking they are famous because of thier facebook status updates!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JMobile

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

i assume it will get the same fate as myspace, does anyone still use that site?

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

I doubt it, I think it is a medium of communication now. Just like email is, and twitter is now. Its not just a internet fad, it goes a lot deeper then that.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Quote Originally Posted by GOIRISH View Post
    just what i was thinking.
    im pretty sure only hs kids are still on myspace

Flexin
    Flexin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 51

For now its not going anywhere. The total drop they are talking about is somewhere around 4-6% of the total users. Thats a extremely slow death. One day there will be something out that will replace it but it will take a while. I'm not on it as much as I was but I still used it almost daily. I still think its a great way to keep in touch with people you can't see everyday. You can also share pictures and so on with those same people.

And they say Facebooks growth slows once it hits 50% of the total population. No shit. They didn't say 50% if the average age group. I'm surprised they hit 50% of the total population of any area. Thats got to be 70-80% of the people that can even use it if they wanted to.

They have to remember too that once people leave a percentage of them will come back a some point. Also kids get to an age where they will start to use it as well. So there will be people that will come in to replace some, if not all of the people that left. They say 1.5 million left in Canada and 6 million in the US but I didn't notice a drop in my friends list so it doesn't really affect me.

I only joined to advertise my business for free then had a bunch of people find me on there. My business has been closed for about 4 years and I'm still on it.

James

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

I just joined that Myspace thingy. Hell of a site.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JMobile

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Myspace was replaced by something better. Yahoo and AOL Chat rooms were replaced by something better. Facebook will either evolve or die eventually, replaced by something better.

LotsoCheese
    I want my NFL!
    LotsoCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

They didn't lose 6 million users, they had 6 million less join last month. Facebook is a behemoth. It is going nowhere. Myspace is on it's last legs though.

Pippertime
    Pippertime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

somthing better will come along

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by GOIRISH View Post
    Facebook is on a much higher level then Myspace. I think bands still use Myspace which is what it really started out as but Twitter has cut in to that I'm sure. They can interact really well with fans on Twitter. But there isn't much of a reason why they can't use all three.

Some celebrities that were just using Twitter, started adding Facebook pages as well in the last few months.

Its here to stay for a good while. Also if they do the IPO it will add more excitement for a while.

James

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

I have zero interest if someone is taking a shit or making a peanut and jelly sandwich. I could not care less if you're at the park or shore.

maersksealand
    maersksealand's Avatar Become A Pro!

the creator of Facebook once called the users "dumb pucks" for trusting him with their personal information. In my opinion you really must be a dumb puck to use that site, dumb enough not to value your privacy and understand the implications.

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by maersksealand View Post
    the creator of Facebook once called the users "dumb pucks" for trusting him with their personal information. In my opinion you really must be a dumb puck to use that site, dumb enough not to value your privacy and understand the implications.
    I don't care what site it is, you have to be careful with any info you put online. People can only get what info you post for the most part.

James

Jnas
    Jnas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8549

I quit that stupid thing 3 months ago. it was amazing how much more time I had on my hands. Its for chicks and highschool kids

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by Jnas View Post
    I quit that stupid thing 3 months ago. it was amazing how much more time I had on my hands. Its for chicks and highschool kids
    Facebook? Wrong. Maybe Myspace but not Facebook.

James

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

is facebook currently down for anyone?

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

yahoo and aol chat rooms were replaced my something better????? What on yahoo and aol replaced those. Ive been looking for the aol chat rooms and see nothing but some new piece of junk

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

"AOL will be around forever."

"Facebook will be around forever."

Nothing lasts forever folks.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

I just posted this claim to my FB Status, friends all say no they aren't going anywhere....nonstarter

goofyre
    Cole World.
    goofyre's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

Facebook continues to change to update things. I could see it staying around a long time. It's a great way to stay in touch with people and even network for jobs.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Facebook is losing users in the United States but still growing overseas. Company is still worth billions. Zuckerberg has to be the luckiest guy in the world.

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

The founders might agree with the OP. Facebook is still going ahead with their IPO in the beginning of next year.

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    1997 "AOL will be around forever." 2010 "Facebook will be around forever." Nothing lasts forever folks.
    I don't think anyone said forever. He started it 7 years ago. That is a long time on the internet. He also tries to add to it to keep it some what fresh. I just hope it never has those loud ass user created home pages. I hated that on Myspace. I seen a banner for something like that for Facebook but I hope it isn't true. Most of those pages were unreadable.

James

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

jerkoffs use facebook

never got into it

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

I wonder if anyone really attracted a lot of new biz using facebook as an advertising medium

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

The data mining that occurs on Facebook would scare you.

12 Last