ritehook
    ritehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

Outrage: Officiating Notre/Dame - N Carolina Game

Incredible that the clear final play fumble was reviewed in the booth.

This followd a reversal in the booth on a call on the field of a clear catch on the Irish 20 yard line. Bob Griese could not figure out why this clear catch was being reviewed. Neither could the announcer, who name I didn't catch.

The catch was reversed. Complete outrage.

Unless you bet Notre Dame, then you got the cover.

I had NC, and fukked out of a chance for the cover. I guess NCAA wants the Irish resurgent, to add that vital glamor.

I also had a rare teaser, that did cover (no thanks to the booth, who reviewed the clear fumble at the end). Got the second half of the teaser, on Air Force. How the booth people in that game are military supporters.

Clearly, don't bet against the I-Rich when they are dogs.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

like i said i the thread if you get that catch they take a knee, the call gave you your only shot

AgainstAllOdds
    From the Villas to world #1
    AgainstAllOdds's Avatar Become A Pro!

The last play was a fumble and NC recovered...whats the problem?

rm18
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by AgainstAllOdds View Post
    The last play was a fumble and NC recovered...whats the problem?
    he is talking about i play with 1:50 left that Carolina caught.

But that play you are talking about was the wrong call, the receivers upper back touched the ground before the ball came out

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Why in the hell will a sane person be watching Notre Dame play football when Georgia was playing Tennessee?

AgainstAllOdds
    From the Villas to world #1
    AgainstAllOdds's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post

But that play you are talking about was the wrong call, the receivers upper back touched the ground before the ball came out

He didnt have posession of the ball when he hit the ground.

All this shit really doesnt matter cause they would have had 2 seconds left and no way they could have got a play off.

ritehook

like i said i the thread if you get that catch they take a knee, the call gave you your only shot
    If you're saying the Heels take a knee if the catch is called properly - no. There was too much time left on the clock at at that point.

Tho it's likely they'd try 3 running plays and then a FG, which would have left me a half point short (who buys a half when the spot is 8.5?)

It was at least possible from the ND 20 for NC to get into the end zone, catch the Irish crowding scimmage line and break through. The biased call killed any chance, except for pie-in-the-sky stuff about intercepting and running it back tot he EZ.

rm18
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by AgainstAllOdds View Post
    He didnt have posession of the ball when he hit the ground.

All this shit really doesnt matter cause they would have had 2 seconds left and no way they could have got a play off.
    You saw his upper back hit the ground? The ball was never loose, he pitched the ball out with control attempting a lateral thinking no time was on the clock, his back was clearly on the ground when the ball was pitched backwards.

And 2 seconds was when the mistakenly called fumble ended, their was 5 seconds when his back hit the ground.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

NC was much better
    ND always get the calls

Mr Nuts
    Mr Nuts's Avatar Become A Pro!

I alwayws felt it but now im sure everything is rigged

rm18
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ritehook View Post
    If you're saying the Heels take a knee if the catch is called properly - no. There was too much time left on the clock at at that point.

Tho it's likely they'd try 3 running plays and then a FG, which would have left me a half point short (who buys a half when the spot is 8.5?)

It was at least possible from the ND 20 for NC to get into the end zone, catch the Irish crowding scimmage line and break through. The biased call killed any chance, except for pie-in-the-sky stuff about intercepting and running it back tot he EZ.

Look at the play by play 1st down running clock with 1:53 on clock.

They get a full 40 seconds on the play clock snap the ball at 1:15, play over at 1:12 timeout ND, kneel again, kneel at :35 and game over

masr
    masr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5933

Helped with my Teaser...had UNC -1.5
    good call i guess

j-e-t-s jets
    j-e-t-s jets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ritehook View Post

I had North Carolina as well. I was cheering like hell that they ruled that incomplete. If that is complete and NC has a first down at the 21 with 1:47 left GAME OVERRRRR (kneel down). ND had one Timeout (which they would've taken before 1st Down). Do the Math 1:47 left 1st and 10, no timeouts= GAME OVER. Do you watch football? Our only hope was ND gets ball back and throws a pick 6 (didnt happen)- we lose. Thats why it's called gambling.

ritehook

Right.

And I won't lie - were I on the Irish I obviously would not have made the post.

But when you got th guys calling the game smelling a flock of rats then something other than bettor bias is at work.

I feel reasonbly sure no official had a wager on the game. That is a lot harder to do in foots than in hoops. And get away with it for more than a few games

I think it may be PR. Irish are a storybook team, known throught the civilized world. Having them up again, fighting for a BCS bowl, would made the NCAA delirious.

The corporate culture, just as in NBA, and until recently in the NFL playoffs, give the suits a rooting interest in great story lines and great story book teams.

More movies likely made about ND than any other team. (Ron Reagan starred in one, playing The Gipper) Even more than the ones made about the Yankees.

The replay booth in this game showed little subtlety. Griese was rightly outraged

ritehook

Quote Originally Posted by j-e-t-s jets View Post
    I had North Carolina as well. I was cheering like hell that they ruled that incomplete. If that is complete and NC has a first down at the 21 with 1:47 left GAME OVERRRRR (kneel down). ND had one Timeout (which they would've taken before 1st Down). Do the Math 1:47 left 1st and 10, no timeouts= GAME OVER. Do you watch football? Our only hope was ND gets ball back and throws a pick 6 (didnt happen)- we lose. Thats why it's called gambling.
    My recollection is that there was slightly over 2 minutes left.

But OK, if you're correct we would have lost anyway. (As it is I connected with the first half of the teaser, not thanks to the replay booth.)

NCAA foots is almost 100% honest. There was something afoot int his game, but shame on us for betting the Storybook Irish as dogs.

Almost 100%. I gotta go for the evening, but let me check rest of replies and if I've time I will offer, from recall, two flagrant instances of NCAA foots on-field corruption. (In one game I bet th victim, in another I had not bet, just an interested spectator)

ritehook

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Why in the hell will a sane person be watching Notre Dame play football when Georgia was playing Tennessee?
    Well, pavy, I'm going to give you three guesses on that one.

No, just two guesses . . .

OK, just one . . . and you're on the clock . . . . . tick tick tick

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Real men watch SEC football on Saturdays. Skirt wearing men watch Notre Dame.

ritehook

You saw his upper back hit the ground? The ball was never loose, he pitched the ball out with control attempting a lateral thinking no time was on the clock, his back was clearly on the ground when the ball was pitched backwards.

And 2 seconds was when the mistakenly called fumble ended, their was 5 seconds when his back hit the ground.
    Whtever on that one -it looked a clear fumble, game over.

Wht I and other poster are taling about it the catch on the 20 by NC, on 3rd down, with a couple minutes to go. Called correctly on the field, then bizarrely reversed by replay booth.

rm18
    Update your status

this was a competitive game, and Notre Dame was a solid bet, no good side in the other game

ritehook

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    NC was much better
    ND always get the calls
    They certainly do in South Bend, coach.

But now that they are somewhat resurgent, it would be a wonderful storyline (for the dreammakers)to have the I-Rich in a BCS bowl. So they get calls on the road.

Not to mention the huge audiences they get. Worldwide. Even in England's IRA prison cells.

marke4
    marke4's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Real men watch SEC football on Saturdays. Skirt wearing men watch Notre Dame.

That is good but I watched since I had ND +9. ND is better now, but the books still don't respect them. I do not understand the call either and I'm an official. But it is the booth that makes that decision, so you have to go after them on the instant replays. As an official I hate instant reply. People don't understand how hard it is to make calls on the spot, but its part of the game. Now a days, you might as well have a single official with a headset and every play is called from the review booth.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Like Nicky would say...all of the bs calls Notre Dame gets are figured into the line

laxdjock
    Anyone but the SEC.
    laxdjock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

That was a junk reversal before that last drive.

ritehook

The college foots game is almost 100% on the square. There was something amiss in this game, with the (what could have been critical) reversal of the onfield ruling of the catch by NC on the irish 20 with a few minites left.

I doubt very much, as some would suspect, that officials had a bet in this game. That' s a lot easier to do in NBA than college foots, for reasons astute sports fans can easily fgure.

But it does happen: two examples (one where I had a bet on the jobbed team, the otehr where I had no bet).

In the last game of the last year of the old Southwest Conference (Texas teams only) this selfsame North Carolina got laid out.

The crew calling the bowl game were SWC officials, calling their last game as such. (SWC teams, the four best, would the following year merge with the Big 8,to become the Big 12)

The head ref - not so much the other guys - showed his loyalty to the diappearing SWC. He gave every close call to the the SWC team (TTech I think), even overruling the other offiicals on the field on some occasions.

I did have a bet on the Tarheels in that game.(I have no connection other than betting with that team, never been on their campus, never knew anyone who attended the school).

It was a travesty. I have to wonder how the "student-athletes" reacted about the obvioulsy corrupt, "home-team" good ol' SWC conference calls. Really preparing some good citizens, huh?

The other game happend in late 90s I think. When legendary BYU coach Lavell Edwards retired, and was coaching his final game of a long, storied career. Versus Utah.

Late in the game, score very close, BYU fumbled. Utah recovered. So called on the field.

Reversed by the head ref. BYU still with the ball went on to score what would be the winning td. (This was before replay booth review was instituted)

Afte the game the Ute coach (Ron McBride if I recall rightly) marvelled as to how a clear fumble and recovery by his team could be called otherwise.

Well, Ron, it's like this. Legendary HC retires. A ref, probably also a friend of Lavell, wants his pal to go out on a winning note. And so gifted BYU and Lavell with a corrupt call for his retirement party.

That's the way it goes. Even those righteous, god-fearing Mormons don't want facts to interfere with a great send-off.

Got to shower, run some errnads and get the hell out of here (after checking scores, of course!) Or I'll have a righteous ex-cheerleader poking me in the eye with a pom-pom

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by marke4 View Post

That is good but I watched since I had ND +9. ND is better now, but the books still don't respect them. I do not understand the call either and I'm an official. But it is the booth that makes that decision, so you have to go after them on the instant replays. As an official I hate instant reply. People don't understand how hard it is to make calls on the spot, but its part of the game. Now a days, you might as well have a single official with a headset and every play is called from the review booth.
    It's even tougher to make a call in the booth when on the other line is the mob boss telling you what the right call is to cash his ticket.