< Back to front page Text size +

Braintree
Braintree Little League Pitcher is Perfect

Scott Creedon poses with a plaque with his coaches and teammates in commemoration of his perfect game.

Dan Creedon sat on the bench at Watson Park watching his son, Scott, pitch the fourth inning in his Braintree National Youth League Majors Division game on April 27, not realizing what was occurring before his very eyes.
He didn’t realize it until coach Brian Stack turned to him and asked if they should give Scott a break. It wouldn’t be given much thought.

“The head coach was like, 'What do you think, should we take him out?' Then we saw he had a no-hitter, so we thought we should just ride it out. We knew he was throwing a good game, but we didn’t realize it was a perfect game,” Dan said. The whole night ended up being a perfect game for 12-year old Scott: 73 pitches, 18 batters, six innings -- all strikeouts. Perfect, from start to finish.

“[My teammates] kept saying to me that I have a no-hitter, but I tried not to listen to them 'cause I thought it would curse me,” Scott said, recalling the game. “After I said, ‘Don’t say anything,’ they didn’t talk to me!”
Batter after batter, strikeout after strikeout, Scott sailed through the innings. His teammates would score three runs while up at bat, and Scott kept hammering away.

Trouble would rear its head in the sixth and final inning. With two outs, the final batter kept fouling the ball.
“I was a little scared when I got to the last inning,” Scott said. “It was tense.”
Yet the Braintree Little Leaguer ultimately stuck out the last batter on the 73rd and final pitch of the night.
"It felt good,” Scott said. “It felt good to strike everyone out… I was just excited. Everyone on my team came over to me, and I was happy about it. The team was just shocked that I did it.”
“I never expected it. It’s pretty surreal,” Scott’s father. “I was pretty nervous towards the last inning of the game. You worry … couple of people on the bench were talking about it, and we were like don’t talk about it!”

“Scott was so elated. So proud of himself. He couldn’t believe he did it,” Dan said. “He handled it very well, too.
He wasn’t a bragger about it. He was just very pleased with himself.”

According to Dan, the team now has a 4-3 record after starting off the season 0-3. Scott has pitched a total of three times, and has not given up a hit yet, although he has never come close to pitching a perfect game.
Scott received recognition at a recent Town Council meeting, his feat huge in the eyes of every baseball fan in town.

Although it’s been more than a week since the monumental game, and Scott has pitched and closed the inning of a game this week, the glow of a job well done is still upon him.

The game ball is even sitting on his dresser, the memory of an April night etched in the familiar stitches.
But is it something that he’ll remember for the rest of his baseball career?

“Yes,” Scott said. “I think it is.”