brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Biggest Mistake Guys Make In Gambling

playing way too many on a daily basis

there's really only 1 or 2 games on any given day that look like a sure thing (or as much of a sure thing as possible in gambling). There is only 1-2 games where everything is aligned properly for one team to be a clear favorite to cover the spread. Last night was Denver and GSW (i made threads on both games), tonight is nyk and lac

there's way too many guys on this site who play 5 or 6 games ( trying to be smart and 'minimize risk') a day and that is just plain stupid

80-90% of games are handicapped near perfectly by Vegas. You're not gonna make any money trying to outsmart vegas on that many games daily

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Yes so true but it is boring

I like at least 5 games per night and hope my action lasts until like 12:30AM

I love when guys say they have edges on 10 games

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Reason why 99% of gamblers lose is money management flaws and poor math skills. People think the phillies -110 tonight had a 80% chance of winning. Dumb fuks.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Yes so true but it is boring

I like at least 5 games per night and hope my action lasts until like 12:30AM

I love when guys say they have edges on 10 games
    5 games a night is stupid

do you like losing money?

the only sport to play more than 1 or 2 games is football, but even there you can only find maybe 3 good games on a weekly basis

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    Reason why 99% of gamblers lose is money management flaws and poor math skills. People think the phillies -110 tonight had a 80% chance of winning. Dumb fuks.

that's reason 1B

playing too many games is reason 1A

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

I pretty much disagree. 5 games in a given night is not out of the question. There's a winner in each of those games.
    The main reason most folks lose is not realizing that this hobby of ours is a marathon, not a sprint. Next up are and poor money management & math skills, poor disipline, trying to pay bills with a ball game and chasing.

I don't have time to elaborate tonight, but I have been doing this a lonnnnnng time. I made my first wager when I was 8 years old, so, I have been playing full time since most of you were still swimming around in your father's testicles. I didn't truly learn to play and win until after 15-20 years or so.
    Some days one or two are aligned, true. But, some other days it's more, sometimes alot more, depending on one's capping perspective. Some days there aren't any that strike one's fancy. But, let me add that it is not out of the norm for me to wager on 300-400 or so sames during a successful baseball or basketball season. And, believe me, I make it work.
    Brahma, everyone's strategies are different and there is more than one that works.
    It doesn't necessarily mean someone is stupid for applying one of those other strategies, they are just different, that's all.
    But, hey, GL to you in however you play.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    5 games a night is stupid do you like losing money? the only sport to play more than 1 or 2 games is football, but even there you can only find maybe 3 good games on a weekly basis
    I don't necessarily agree with you. It really depends if you know what your edge is. For instance, in the game Roulette the House has a very small edge. The reason why they still make a fortune on Roulette is because of the volume of bets they take in. I've made well over a thousand NBA prop bets this season. Most of those bets were less than $100 bets. I've gotten 59% correct which is less than a 6% edge being that most of those bets were at approximately -115. Yet I've still made over 10K on NBA player props this season. Here's a better example: If I was rolling a 20 sided Die and I agreed that if it came up 1 to 11 you would Win but it came up 12 to 20 I would Win. Here's the catch, you have to bet $11 to Win $10(-110). Would you do it? You'd be foolish not to. In fact if you were smart you would do as many rolls as you possibly could as long as I was making this offer. The reason why is, you will win 55% of the time. And even if you are paying -110 you will still have a 2.62% edge. Now most gamblers probably don't know their edge so maybe it IS foolish. But if you DO know your edge then there is nothing wrong with making a bunch of bets.
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 04-08-11 at 09:29 PM.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by THE HITMAN View Post
    I pretty much disagree. 5 games in a given night is not out of the question. There's a winner in each of those games.
    The main reason most folks lose is not realizing that this hobby of ours is a marathon, not a sprint. Next up are and poor money management & math skills, poor disipline, trying to pay bills with a ball game and chasing.

I don't have time to elaborate tonight, but I have been doing this a lonnnnnng time. I made my first wager when I was 8 years old, so, I have been playing full time since most of you were still swimming around in your father's testicles. I didn't truly learn to play and win until after 15-20 years or so.
    Some days one or two are aligned, true. But, some other days it's more, sometimes alot more, depending on one's capping perspective. Some days there aren't any that strike one's fancy. But, let me add that it is not out of the norm for me to wager on 300-400 or so sames during a successful baseball or basketball season. And, believe me, I make it work.
    Brahma, everyone's strategies are different and there is more than one that works.
    It doesn't necessarily mean someone is stupid for applying one of those other strategies, they are just different, that's all.
    But, hey, GL to you in however you play.

here is the basic way i see it

winning percentage is what it's all about. too many people play a lot of units on several games when they would be much better off putting all their units on 1 or 2 games daily

for me, i hit around 66-70% ATS but i play very few games. I make a ton more money just betting huge amounts on 1 or 2 games a day cause i know the chance of those games hitting is very high
    Last edited by brahmabull117; 04-08-11 at 09:22 PM.

wiffle
    wiffle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

lol player's talk

JohnGalt2341

here is the basic way i see it winning percentage is what it's all about. too many people play a lot of units on several games when they would be much better off putting all their units on 1 or 2 games daily for me, i hit around 66-70% ATS but i play very few games. I make a ton more money just betting huge amounts on 1 or 2 games a day cause i know the chance of those games hitting is very high
    If you truly hit 66 to 70% of your ATS plays then you are a gambling God without a doubt. However, you'd probably make way more money making WAY more bets at smaller amounts and hitting only 57%.

Today is April 8th. I'm just curious, by your estimation how long do you think it will take you to make 100 plays from this date? I'd like to make a wager with you that you don't hit 60% ATS or O/U after 100 plays. Are you up for it? You can make less than 5 plays a week for all I care. I got all the time in the world. Just as long as you post all your plays.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    However, you'd probably make way more money making WAY more bets at smaller amounts and hitting only 57%.

see this crap is exactly what i'm talking aout

that is pure nonsense

lets say for example, you have 4500 dollars to bet

if you bet 9 games at 500 dollars each and win 6 out of 9, that is around 1500 dollars you're winning

if you bet 18 games at 250 dollars each and only win 10 out of 18, you're only winning around 500 dollars

winning percentage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>all

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

you're not going to hit 6 out of 9 long-term. I do agree though a lot of people would be better off just laying extra dough on the one game they really like

slatter
    slatter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds like all you guys are "instinct bettors" and not anyone who has spent any legitimate time creating a model. Once you have a model established, if all 10 games' lines are off by a few points, you bet them.

JohnGalt2341

see this crap is exactly what i'm talking aout that is pure nonsense lets say for example, you have 4500 dollars to bet if you bet 9 games at 500 dollars each and win 6 out of 9, that is around 1500 dollars you're winning if you bet 18 games at 250 dollars each and only win 10 out of 18, you're only winning around 500 dollars winning percentage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all
    Couple of things here, if you are making $500 wagers at -110 and you Win 6 out of 9... your profit is $1227.27. Where did you come up with $1500? Even if you are betting $550 at -110 and you won 6 out of 9 your profit would still only be $1350.

Secondly, I don't believe there is a Handicapper on the planet that consistently hits 6 out of 9. AND 10 out of 18 is not 57%. It's 55.5% repeating. Lets say you made 70 plays at $250 and you hit 57%. That would be 40 wins and 30 losses. Your profit would be approximately $1600. That might not seem like a lot of money for the number of plays you made but it can realistically be achieved if you are REALLY good. I would worship any Capper that can consistently hit 60% ATS or O/U. Especially if they were giving me their picks. It's incredibly rare. I don't think you can do it, nor do I think very many people(if any) on this board can do it. I'll gladly bet anyone on this board that they won't Win AT LEAST 60 out of their next 100 bets ATS or O/U.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Quote Originally Posted by slatter View Post
    Sounds like all you guys are "instinct bettors" and not anyone who has spent any legitimate time creating a model. Once you have a model established, if all 10 games' lines are off by a few points, you bet them.
    Yup, all about finding value. Some days you have huge cards, some days you have empty ones.

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

5 games a night is stupid

do you like losing money?

apparently he does. he's been doing it pretty consistently for quite a while now.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

there's really only 1 or 2 games on any given day that look like a sure thing (or as much of a sure thing as possible in gambling). There is only 1-2 games where everything is aligned properly for one team to be a clear favorite to cover the spread. Last night was Denver and GSW (i made threads on both games), tonight is nyk and lac

there's way too many guys on this site who play 5 or 6 games ( trying to be smart and 'minimize risk') a day and that is just plain stupid

80-90% of games are handicapped near perfectly by Vegas. You're not gonna make any money trying to outsmart vegas on that many games daily
    And who da F....k are you, Chris Money Maker

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

This could go on forever, especially with some of the stats thrown around that don't add up.
    But, when talking about value.............what's value to one may not be to another. Value, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.

noties
    noties's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6638

laying large ml wagers

madrabbit
    madrabbit's Avatar Become A Pro!

exactly. Good post.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Chasing without question. We all do it, and it barries us all at one point in time or another.

adlai
    adlai's Avatar Become A Pro!

no such thing as a sure thing.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Even spot betting your going to go on a 3-11 type run and get burried

No matter what strategy you use eventually you will be in red

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Chasing without question. We all do it, and it barries us all at one point in time or another.

I've been chasing and getting by but I'm worried I'm going to get burried.

You know what my problem is. I bet on a few games and it seems like I always LOSE the first game I bet on. There are games at 7PM, 8PM and 9PM and I feel like I always start out behind and have to win the other games. It's freaking annoying. I'd rather start out good, play with house money, feel good and piss it away than start out losing, feel bad and have to win my money back.

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

see this crap is exactly what i'm talking aout

that is pure nonsense

lets say for example, you have 4500 dollars to bet

if you bet 9 games at 500 dollars each and win 6 out of 9, that is around 1500 dollars you're winning

if you bet 18 games at 250 dollars each and only win 10 out of 18, you're only winning around 500 dollars

winning percentage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>all

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

So many brahma gems over the months...impossible to keep track of them all.

Full Time Hobo
    In a Box
    Full Time Hobo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3676

see this crap is exactly what i'm talking aout that is pure nonsense lets say for example, you have 4500 dollars to bet if you bet 9 games at 500 dollars each and win 6 out of 9, that is around 1500 dollars you're winning if you bet 18 games at 250 dollars each and only win 10 out of 18, you're only winning around 500 dollars winning percentage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all

You should only bet games you have an edge on.

Tech N9ne

Quote Originally Posted by ShogunRua View Post

So many brahma gems over the months...impossible to keep track of them all.

never gets old..
    Will always be there for a good laugh

mh217
    mh217's Avatar Become A Pro!

you will never know when your wins will come, or your losses...so do your handicapping and bet everything that looks good to you...if you like a bunch of games, bet a bunch of games..if you like a couple, bet a couple...just try to avoid playing stuff that is super chalky...i really feel bad for the people that think parlaying huge moneylines is the way to go or that teasers will make you money.....those are sucker bets...smarten up and learn how to get your edges by betting quarters and halves.. dont be scared to bet those kinds of plays if they figure...

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

bull you're a fuking hamburger

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

I've made well over 30 bets on some days

Thousands of games played daily around the world

Expand your horizons

mh217
    mh217's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by big0mar View Post
    I've made well over 30 bets on some days Thousands of games played daily around the world Expand your horizons
    amen to that .. i dominate jap soccer!!

Tech N9ne

Brahama will never learn

He's too busy jerking off on the rocks chest

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

for me, i hit around 66-70% ATS but i play very few games. I make a ton more money just betting huge amounts on 1 or 2 games a day cause i know the chance of those games hitting is very high

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Biggest mistake guys make in gambling is reading these fukkin forums and letting someone elses stupid ass opinion sway them

12 Last