nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

how good was allen iverson

I say top 100 player of all time..look at his ppg avergae in his first 10-13 years...is he a top 100 player and definate hall of fame first ballot?? thoughts

dherd
    dherd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

talented, but not a winner - every team he was traded to dived with him - every team he left was better without him.

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by dherd View Post
    talented, but not a winner - every team he was traded to dived with him - every team he left was better without him.

HUH???

the 76ers were basically irrelevant for 5 years after the Iverson trade

Manaconda
    Manaconda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1292

hes top 50 in my opinion.. shame the way things ended but for a guy his size he had to start breaking down at some point.. But he took crappy teams to the playoffs and had a great finals run one year, pretty much held the team on his back the whole time. always have respect for him

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Thunderman
    Thunderman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

If he would have hung it up after his first stint in Philly, he would have been remembered as a much better player.

tunaguitar76
    tunaguitar76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 895

he played hard every time he took the court. philly fans loved that, he was so not derrick coleman.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

Top 100 sure. Not a winner though.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Top 100 sure. Not a winner though.
    what does 'not a winner" mean --- He was surrounded my crap in Philly and brought them to the playoffs 6 of his 10 years.

look at the team he played with in his prime.. George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Theo Ratliff, Eric Snow ...

unfortunately he was a small guy who played physical and wore down by 30. He's easily top 100 and maybe top 50 ever,

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

brahama thinks a.i is better then kobe

ebbearsfb1

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    what does 'not a winner" mean --- He was surrounded my crap in Philly and brought them to the playoffs 6 of his 10 years.

look at the team he played with in his prime.. George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Theo Ratliff, Eric Snow ...

unfortunately he was a small guy who played physical and wore down by 30. He's easily top 100 and maybe top 50 ever,

someone thats a winner should make everyone around him better

Nookx
    Nookx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Allen Iverson was clearly one of the best players of all time. Easy top 50. I think people forget how good he truely was in his prime. This is standard though

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    brahama thinks a.i is better then kobe
    hell no

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    someone thats a winner should make everyone around him better
    He did, look at the some of the players he played with.

Theo Ratliff went from a draft cast off to a solid center with AI, after leaving he became an overpaid running joke.

Eric Snow looked like a real point guard next to Iverson, to an anchor holding back james in cleve.

It didnt look good because he was playing with D- level players and making them into C- level players, so they still sucked.

nikossf
    I dont play at SHIT books
    nikossf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

He was terrible!!!

jubuck757
    jubuck757's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Allen Iverson does not get the credit that he deserves. Allen iverson revolutionized basketball. Iverson brought hip hop to basketball, I dont know its something about those va athletes. Look at Vick, Percy. Before Iverson all the good players had to have a squeeky clean image, Iverson was straight from the hood, and it gave the little kids straight from nonthing hope. Now every time you go to a Nba game what do you hear hip hop music, before Iverson the nba wasnt doing that. Defitnely pound for pound one of the best nba players ever. People say he shoots to much, hell tell me what superstar wouldnt have shot alot on those bad teams. U can say what you want about chuck but one thing you cant say is it wasnt game that he didnt play like it was his last.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Allen Iverson the player was just as bad as Allen Iverson the gambler

bleek88
    The picture of me on SBR is FAKE NOT ME
    bleek88's Avatar Become A Pro!

he's a first ballot HOFer

alon7777777
    alon7777777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 854

was a great player till 2005-06 but gambling and drinkin ruined him

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

definite hall of famer. one of the toughest guys to ever step on the court.

jagaf22
    jagaf22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 28

HOF'er changed the speed of the game. Broke Jordan's ankles...twice!

MJFtheGenius
    MJFtheGenius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

I watched his entire career...I live in Philly area

He wasnt really good at anything

I mean he could score 25-27 ppg but he was a low percentage shooter (40-41%)

yea he got alot of steals but he gambled all the time and didnt play d otherside

dominated the ball

MJFtheGenius

He was good at running coaches out of town

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jubuck757 View Post
    Allen Iverson does not get the credit that he deserves. Allen iverson revolutionized basketball. Iverson brought hip hop to basketball, I dont know its something about those va athletes. Look at Vick, Percy. Before Iverson all the good players had to have a squeeky clean image, Iverson was straight from the hood, and it gave the little kids straight from nonthing hope. Now every time you go to a Nba game what do you hear hip hop music, before Iverson the nba wasnt doing that. Defitnely pound for pound one of the best nba players ever. People say he shoots to much, hell tell me what superstar wouldnt have shot alot on those bad teams. U can say what you want about chuck but one thing you cant say is it wasnt game that he didnt play like it was his last.
    a guy that shoots in the low 40% and needs close to 30 shots to get 30 ppg....
    how exactly is that good?
    people love to tout him "playing the game like its his last" ...... but did he practice like a leader? show up on time? stay late? show up early? the answer is NO.
    yea AI changed the nba to a more hip-hop culture but is that a good thing?
    does "hip-hop" culture mean lazy, disrepectful and unprofessional? thats what he represented off he court.

people love to bring up how he "carried" his team to the finals that year. he carried them offensively cuz thats all he could do. larry brown had more to do with the sixers success than AI. how succcessful was AI before and after larry? larry was successful before and after AI.

AI is a classic example of som1 who lived off his uncanny natural talents and never improved any other areas of his game.
    If he had any real commitment to the game he would been one of the greatest of all time instead of just the best little scorer of all time.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    He did, look at the some of the players he played with. Theo Ratliff went from a draft cast off to a solid center with AI, after leaving he became an overpaid running joke. Eric Snow looked like a real point guard next to Iverson, to an anchor holding back james in cleve. It didnt look good because he was playing with D- level players and making them into C- level players, so they still sucked.
    u have no idea wat u are talkin about. how exactly did AI make theo ratliff and eric snow good players?
    Please explain it to me. did AI turn them into scoring threats? NO. did AI pass them the ball? NO
    LARRY BROWN made those players, NOT AI. theo was a shot blocker and snow was a taller defender. did AI teach snow how to play defense, theo how to block shots?

MJFtheGenius

Yea Larry Brown was the reason why that team went to the finals

also remember back then the EAST was a very weak conference

However Brown made sure every player had a role

Iverson ran Larry out of town

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

I could name 100 better than him. Maybe top 200 but not 100...no rings

ebbearsfb1

The east was brutal until the celtics got the big 3 a few years ago, even when lebron went the teams were awful, I'm 5 foot 8 and think I was starting at center for some of those east teams

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5

Heres a fair question...Is Dwayne Wade better than Iverson was in terms of talent and accomplishments?

5 years from now wades stats will equal Iverson's and he has a ring

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...iversal01.html

http://csl.nba.com/playerfile/dwyane...eer_stats.html

KJ CottonChopper
    KJ CottonChopper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

good comparison mighty, I'm with ya. top 150 for sure. Go Heels.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Quote Originally Posted by jubuck757 View Post
    so hes responsible for thugging up the game, tattoos everywhere, and players with guns in the locker room? damn, i hate him even more now. good riddance

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by bradthebloke View Post
    so hes responsible for thugging up the game, tattoos everywhere, and players with guns in the locker room? damn, i hate him even more now. good riddance
    Funny how the fab five from Michigan had a similiar attitude and they are remembered fondly and Iverson is not. In both situations, neither party won any titles..yet fab five is loved and Iverson has a lot of detractors for his attitude

YOUNGBUCK
    YOUNGBUCK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5189

Love championships get brought up barkley was unstoppable an absolute machine and doesnt have one so he cant be top 100

KingKolzig
    KingKolzig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

cant play any defense. cant drive left to save his life. never had a jumpshot. has one decent move (crossover) but everyone caught on. was simply the best player on a very very sh1tty team. the gilbert arenas of his era

MJFtheGenius

just leave it to the people such as myself who actually watched him every night

great talent

not a team player

didnt play defense

hard to coach

6 ft shooting guard

12 Last