Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
Tell you what....if West Virginia comes out and takes away all of the monuments to Robert Byrd...roads...buildings...legislation.. .etc...seeing as HE was a Klansman in our lifetime yet is heralded as a great leader with no outcry from these same opposition groups who look the other way for him....I can see this small license plate story from a different point...but until then...I still have no issue with an optional tag as opposed to government backed idolizing another racist in West Virginia.

In 1997, Byrd told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics but also: "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."[20] In his last autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a KKK member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision —a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."[21] Byrd also said, in 2005, "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

I couldn't find any similar statements from Nathan Bedford Forrest. I'm assuming that you have one locked and loaded right? Otherwise you wouldn't have gone with the good old "bring up Robert Byrd when someone mentions the klan or Republican racism" bit. Otherwise this is just another example of false equivilancy, kind of like comparing black colleges to the kkk. Or trying to say that random thugs are Obama's voting base.