mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Horseracing At A Crossroads : Nominated Post

As a major horseracing fan, there are several things that need to be done to get horseracing back on the map.

In my opinion, and in no particular order:

1. Lower takeout. Tracks will make up the loss in a recirculation of money. It works.

2. Less tracks. I'm sorry, but there are way too many tracks right now with too many racedates. Either some need to close, or they need to seasonalize. Because there are so many places you can enter a horse right now, it makes for many 5 to 7 horse fields. Racing with short fields is AWFUL and UNEXCITING. We need more 9 to 14 horse fields. I believe Monmouth Park came up with a good concept this summer. They are only racing three days a week, and will have $1 mil in purses every day. I guarantee this will be successful. I would rather bet 14 rodent maiden claimers going 6 furlongs than a 500K stake race with 5 entries any day of the week.

3. Uniform racing and wagering rules are a must. One state can use Lasix, another can use Bute, and another ban both. In one state, the pick 3 rules are vastly different than another state. There should be 1 oversight jurisdiction, run by the Federal government.

4. Upgrade the facilities, toss the degenerate crusty rude horseplayer. If a 30 year veteran is cursing like an animal, throwing tickets and programs, kicking chairs, etc...... show him the door. I cannot tell you the number of newcomers I have taken to the track, saw this type of behavior and clientele, and said, ummmm this isn't for me. Sorry.

5. Stop having 30 min between races. 15-20 min is more than enough, except on special days like the Derby.

6. Tracks should not offer a pick 6 or pick 4 if the total pool is only $1000. Seriously, please stop it, unless you offer a guaranteed pool. I'm talking to you Prairie Meadows, Sam Houston, Bay Meadows, and other smaller tracks. This includes harness tracks.

This isn't hard, but until the pockets of "executive oversight" like OTB, NYRA, and other are eliminated, racing will be damned.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

you are right on. reduce the dates. tough to close a track that wants to stay open. lower the takeout will and does work. thin out the multiple wagers at small tracks. no reason not to copy monmouths example this year. it is going to work.