Originally posted on 10/12/2023:

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
Shanahan is fantastic at working a room. He can kiss babies and schmooze with the helicopter moms. I've always talked shit about him. That he was a master manipulator, always tried to push your buttons and would lie to your face. I use to say that he would sell out his mom to win. But that is probably unfair as I grow older. He just really had a high level of expecting success. Several of my friends became coaches working for him and they loved him and the pay was outrageous.

My junior year I wanted to take an engineering class (I think mechanical drawing, can't even remember now). It was offered only once a year but it interfered with film review. I go into his office and he reamed my ass. "What the fukk are you telling me for, what's more important than you. You're going to jeopardize your career for a fukking class. Who are you? Why are you here? Why the fukk did you come to UF? You came here to play football. Why are you here? Why did you come to UF? Get out of my office?" I left with my tail between my legs. I couldn't sleep that night. I kept hearing him say, "Why did you come to UF, You came here to play football", over and over and over. I went back to his office the next day and told him I came to get an education. I was in his doghouse from that point on. But that was the point where I knew I had to get my engineering degree.
Yes. Absolutely. He can work a room for sure and I could tell he knows how to get what he wants and get shit done.

You handled it right. Education matters the most in the long run. Tell me about all the SEC kids or any kids that play college sports, don’t get drafted, don’t finish school… you never hear about them again. Sad really.