Originally posted on 12/10/2022:

The trial for Jason Servis ended with guilty pleas on several counts. While a sad end to an even sadder story, I saw where some people were commenting on how frail and in poor health Servis looked and felt sorry for him.

And when I look at it in a certain light, I, to some degree do as well. But please excuse me for not shedding a tear over the verdict and of his looks. I shed plenty of my own in the final day of my career between saying goodbyes to so many dear friends, taking that last walk to my car, driving out of a barn area I had spent just about everyday for the last 28+ years, and leaving behind a career I gave everything up for at the time, to pursue when I was 18 years old.

I did not know Jason. I knew his brother a little. But many people I did know were adversely affected by the actions of those that cheated constantly including those that while caught, were slapped on the wrist and allowed to continue or, those that never were.

Having a drug violation against you on your record was a terrible thing when those drugs were obviously not drugs that were simply mistakes. And yes, if you are a trainer, you know damn well what the difference is. That seemed to change into the 90's when trainers with multiple violations were getting new owners who were leaving honest trainers. The old saying, which I loath of "If you ain't cheatin you aint tryin" , was alive and thriving. Of course, most that uttered that phrase had no idea what they were actually saying and in most cases had never stepped into any arena and competed on a public stage, thus having no idea what they were actually talking about. If they had, they would not have said it.

I have not hid my anger towards how all this has played out since roughly 1988. Most here that have read this thread have heard all about it. But there are plenty other trainers that feel the same way.

I saw a tweet from Graham Motion, a good old friend from my racing days along with his wife Anita. We shared a barn at Laurel for several years. Here it is:

GRAHAM MOTION 16h
"I don’t take any solace in other peoples misery, actually quite the opposite I feel some empathy for them but the reality is that those of us who were beaten by Jason Service’s horses have little to show for it other than losing money, owners and horses due to his success."

That sums it up pretty well.

Thanks Graham ! He's one of many good guys in the game . Taught by honest professionals while coming up,
(Jonathan Sheppard and Bernie Bond to mention two), he along with so many other individuals, realize that the game is bigger than themselves.

In a game that lost it's way with selfish individuals until the testing caught up to them, it's nice to see that people with a platform in which to speak, share their feelings as well as those feelings of other people that go to work everyday, with the best of intentions, in a game that is tough enough when played honestly.

Thanks for your time everyone.