Originally posted on 09/25/2018:

Four Weeks

Journal entry by Mindy McBride — 5 hours ago
It has been four weeks in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and there is talk about a possible transfer to Bethesda tomorrow.

Today Andy worked with PT, OT, and speech. They used a speaking valve again today and he is working really hard on using his lungs so that words can be heard! In his OT session they had him trying to write. PT continues to work on sitting and gaining trunk strength. Today he continued to run a low grade fever, which is typical of west nile and even through this he is working so hard!

Last night I spent the first night in my own bed since this journey begun. Andy said, go take care of the girls followed by tell them I love them. My lip reading isn't very good and I miss many things he is trying to tell me but those two were clear as day! Andy is beginning to tell us what he wants which is great! He also has informed us to go sit down, we can leave, I want to sleep, etc. I am glad he is able to advocate for some of his needs.

Thank you for standing by us in this journey, praying for us, sending well wishes, donations, and making meals for us. We can't tell you enough how much you all mean to us. You all are amazing and we are blessed to have you in our lives.

With love,

Mindy McBride
#TeamAndy