Originally posted on 09/09/2018:

Finding our way

Journal entry by Mindy McBride — 5 hours ago
With change comes challenges.
Some people often say one step forward and two steps back, I am feeling that way after finally getting Andy home. The doctors are working hard to understand what was done in Las Vegas and why, along with how West Nile is impacting Andy. Andy had a good flight to MN, he remained stable. #TeamAndy is working on stabilizing his blood pressure and oxygen (breathing with a ventilator). This morning the neurologist was here and spoke about an EMG test that would test his muscles (Electromyography (EMG) measures muscle response or electrical activity in response to a nerve's stimulation of the muscle. The test is used to help detect neuromuscular abnormalities. During the test, one or more small needles (also called electrodes) are inserted through the skin into the muscle.).

One thing that each doctor has made very clear is that West Niles can effect each person very differently. There is a broad range in the length of time for recovery and the impact on the muscles and cognition. Regions Hospital has had two recent cases of West Nile where both of the individuals have gone into therapy programs after weeks of ICU treatments. The ICU treatments are all patient support, this means keep them comfortable and building range of motion. While people are intubated it can be very uncomfortable so the team works on keeping him comfortable with a pain regimen. We are also going to have a consult for a tracheotomy (Tracheotomy, or tracheostomy, is a surgical procedure which consists of making an incision on the anterior aspect of the neck and opening a direct airway through an incision in the trachea.) as Andy has been intubated for nearly two weeks.

Our girls know that daddy is sick and that they are trying to make him feel better. At this time we do not feel it would be good for the girls to see Andy in the condition that he is in. We are hopeful that he will be in a better place soon and ready to visit with them. I am so excited to see the girls today, it has been 14 days since I have hugged them!

Please continue to pray for Andy's strength, stability, and tenacity along with his new medical team and family as we continue the journey of healing here in Minnesota! We are so grateful to have all of you in our lives.