Originally posted on 05/01/2018:

I was certain that this thread would devolve. So far so good. And, with all due respect Donker, I saw your name and immediately thought you would derail it into a tale of debauchery. However, I was wrong. Your open-mindedness on the subject caught me off guard in a surprisingly pleasant way. The fact that you would consider that the WW2 kid may have merit is testament to that, and to be honest, any atheist or religious zealot has not freed his or her mind because the fact of the matter is, no one knows. At least agnostics acknowledge this while atheists do not.

I am a Catholic. A lapsed Catholic I will confess but attendance at Sunday mass does not, in my opinion, make a virtuous man. I have read of people with near death experiences seeing things from above in the operating room that they could not have known about. That gives me hope of everlasting life, although proof is not needed for the truly faithful. I am hopeful yet weak in that regard. I wish I was more resolute in my convictions. I have had the benefit of a good life with an amazing family. I have been "blessed" yet I continue to question. Shameful really.

One thing I truly believe is that we all have free will. If Mother Teresa were to walk in front of a train she would be killed. The holiest among us are not impervious to tragic events. What happens afterwards is the ultimate question. I believe in Jesus Christ...I simply wish any and all doubts were removed. I think I should try harder.