Originally posted on 09/02/2017:

ok I could possibly give you some advice as I used to be 2122 some 13 years ago at chess)

So in order to play chess well - u have to develop 2 skills: practical knowledge of chess strategies, physical ability/mental fitness so to speak to count moves ahead and analize foreseen positions before the moves are made.

My coach taught me first principles mainly from mark dvoretzky's books ( intermediate to advanced levels). Beginners level strategies such as seize the centre in the beginning, learn to develop right all pieces before attempting flank attacks, fighting for open lines with rooks, etc you can find somewhere online easy more or less - but a key to becoming good is not just reading, looking and thinking u got it. We used to do say 20 exercises on each strategical concept - where you have a position and u have to choose right moves. And after your decision is made - you check with the book - if you were right or wrong.

Counting moves is developed by exercise as well - beginners only see 1-2 moves ahead - 2100-2200s - 10-20 moves depending on how complicated position is.

Chess is far more complicated than poker - some people learn and grasp principles of the game easy and fast some take time. M

My advice is do exercises and learn strategical principles, how to play rook endings, other endings too for say an hour each day. and practise on chess.com - 15 minute regulation games or so. Don't play blitz you barely learn anything from it.