Originally posted on 12/06/2015:

Quote Originally Posted by NCarts View Post
I'm not as familiar with the "industry standard" as most people are for this type of situation but I am a little surprised at the amount of people that suggested the book cancel the wager or pay him at whatever the "appropriate" line is. If he spotted an error or a line he liked and took advantage of it, then his wager should be honored. Plain and simple.
Few reasons and talking points...

1. Most books won't let you cancel a wager once its been placed, even if done so in error so why are they afforded that luxury. I can't speak for everyone but I've made accidental wagers but once it went through I accepted that I screwed up.

2. Changing a payout or result, AFTER the fact, sets a terrible precedent. Just because they put out a bad line doesn't excuse them from a bad beat. If someone sells a vintage car for well below "market value", should he go back go the buyer after the sale has been completed and ask for the remainder of the money? penetrate no. Too bad.

3. Many bettors have multiple books and will often pick the book that they feel provides the most favorable line for a particular event so what makes this that much different? Otherwise, every book would have the exact lines.

I understand, based on the replies, that this is the "industry standard" but I don't necessarily think that makes it right. And it baffles me as to why most people are sympathetic to the book when a similar scenario in a regular business wouldn't play out the same way. A "customer" would be rewarded with the bargain (or payout in this case) while the business would have to accept the loss.

I don't play with a huge bank roll but if a book tried canceling a win after the event was finished, I'd switch to another book immediately. One that runs a smooth operation and is honest with their users. Voiding a wager is just cowardly.
Another clueless retard.

These books put out thousands of lines on different stuff, they're going to have some typo's and errors from time to time. They don't have the time to research and double check every friggin line. Books never pay out on typo's or OBVIOUS errors, nor should they. If you saw a 1lb rib eye at the grocery store and it had a 0.98 price tag on it, you going to make a beef if they won't let you buy it at the checkout counter for 98 cents? This was an obvious bad line in this thread example, and anyone with an IQ over 85 would know it. You think this moron just happened to stumble on a hockey prop and say, gee, +325 on no to score a goal in a hockey game is a pretty good value? Friggin Wayne Gretzky wouldn't have been +325 for no in any game. When I see an obvious bad line I e-mail them and bring it to their attention. Once, they paid me $750 on a golf prop that they incorrectly graded as a winner. I alerted them to the fact, and told them I was paid in error. They let me keep $500 of it because they probably were so delighted that not every one of their customers is a thieving, scheming douchebag.