Originally posted on 03/21/2015:

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
Jeffie 100% gets it. If you have to spend money on something, spend it on someone who knows what they're doing to go over hands you've played and show you the errors and explain why they're wrong. I got into poker way before that was a thing but if I had to start today that'd be my plan.

I also agree the best way to learn is experience. Depositing the 30 bucks or whatever you'd spend on a book onto a site and playing small stakes will teach you more than the book would.
I think you guys are drastically overestimating a newbie's ability to learn correctly from videos or experience. Taking $30 to the tables and learning the hard way instead of buying a book isn't likely to work; if that was the case, every casual player would be a decent player!

I understand that past a certain basic level, books might not be optimal; but to grasp those basics (required to grasp concepts from videos, sweating, or playing experience) a book or two is the way to go. Doesn't seem possible that Harrington and super system would be bad investments for a pure beginner, especially given the low-low price of free they can be found for if the money is an obstacle. Once you've read those, experience implementing the basics is probably necessary before other methods are going to be particularly useful.