Originally posted on 01/18/2015:

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
surely you don't pretend to believe I am the ONLY ONE who doubts it do you?

If you think so (or even ifyou don't and just want to make 's ), can you ever think of anything throughout history where the people were told something that turned out to be false? Maybe even an outright lie?

Think about it. Shouldn't take you very long.
I read or hear this line of reasoning frequently used in regards to global warming and 9/11

But it's an incorrect line of reasoning to support your position and it does nothing for your argument

The true reality is that each issue or event is independent of anything that has happened in the past. Just because we've been lied to before doesn't mean we're being lied to this time. And if you're serious about finding the truth, you have to disregard being lied to in the past. It should not factor into your conclusion at all or in anyway influence your decision.

I know the American people have been lied to before and will be lied to going forward. I know the government fukks things up but I have to get past that every time I look at an issue because it would simply cloud my judgement.

In science, you take a systematic approach to solve problems, called the scientific method. I know you know what this is but it's applicable here because it forces you to systematically analyze each problem. Past experiments or results play no role in the current one.

But the reality is, most people are too lazy to do the leg work to come up with an informed opinion. I admittedly fall into this group many times.