Originally posted on 01/10/2015:

Quote Originally Posted by raydog View Post
i can buy into the idea of a historical jesus... although there is little proof he existed and no proof of a god...

there are tons of these articles out there... a lot of reasons to question his existence and if he did exist, what he was really about

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/d...dont-think-so/

Seriously, raydog, this isn't about you believing (which isn't a mental attitude, although it can be psychological as well; mainly it's experience and action, that's what pisteos [faith] in greek means) --- it is about being honest about history.

There is more evidence that Jesus of Nazareth existed than any other person you acknowledge, or scholars acknowledge, from the ancient world. Sanhedrin texts, Roman contemporaries including but not limited to Josephus, and textual criticism of the gospels as well as concurrent histories make it certain that he existed. Any scholar, believer or non-believer, who is honest will tell you this --- and there are thousands of them.

Let's just summarize with this: the one true God is interested in people who seek Him with an open heart. If you are open minded and humble enough to say, "I will ask, God, show me who you are" and you attempt in earnest through prayers, fasting and other forms of self-denial --- the life recommended by the Saints, he will reveal himself.

If you aren't interested in meeting the way, truth and life, then you don't have to do anything. But he is reaching out for all of his, yet we deny him all the time (we are all humans and we all do this). The key is to struggle to find the truth in this fallen state of ours. In that struggle he will comfort you. It's hard to do in a wealthy, materially comforting society, however.

Best to all! Seek and find!