Originally posted on 12/31/2014:

Quote Originally Posted by fitguy67 View Post
i'm getting that same feeling that was in the wind a few days before tito was about to be annhilated by the short chubby shlemenko...only that time the wannabe sharps wouldn't take the dog-price gift because acknowledging the "too obvious" size differential clashed with their self-image as non-conformists

this time the same "too obvious" (reach + uncanny MMA-IQ/creativity +...) advantages of the favorite are being overlooked...
Comparing Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier to Alexander Schlemenko vs Tito Ortiz, solid start. Also, Uncanny MMA-IQ and creativity from Tito? FROM TITO SON? Cmon now. For disclosure, I bet Schlemenko.

do you guyz honestly think Cormier would rag-doll the likes of Gus...a completely different prospect than a well-past-due-date Henderson...and don't even think about how easily JJ could handle a Hendo at this point...not saying Cormier's at this level yet...just that his LHW (not his HW...his LHW...this is a different game when the speed and cardio and creativity grows in importance to the simpler "who catches who first" dynamic of the biggies) credentials clearly does not qualify him YET
Yeah I do think Cormier would rag doll Gus, Gus hasn't fought a wrestler like DC ever. Jones is an impressive wrestler but shucking his takedowns is not the same as avoiding someone like Cormier.

Also, another solid point that we should discredit all of Cormier's HW experience because it's not as creative? Because you, for some reason, hold the LHW division in higher esteem?
Gus deserves and was originally scheduled for this tilt...UFC's "sports as entertainment" foisted this upon us...Cormier is amazing...but why not put him up against at least one top-ten LHW (like a Rumble Johnson, for example...no way in hell Cormier manhandles him like he did Hendo)

not having the common sense to see the value in a WAY over-dogged Tito (vs. Shlemenko) OR
not having the common sense to see the value of a way under-faved Jones (vs. Cormier)...
is the same myopia to not see what JUST SEEMS TO BE too obvious for your self-image as a sharp
Gus deserves a shot, sure. Irrelevant point though. Cormier should probably get another fight at LHW but it doesn't really affect how you would look at the match-up, thats just you allowing inherent bias to seep into your analysis. Sure, it would be better to see him versus higher level competition but shit that's true of everybody. Haven't seen many fights where people are saying "Man, this fight would be SO much easier to cap if I just had three or four less videos to compare them to."

I'm going to ignore your bolded passive agressive statement, I understood earlier that you thought you were smarter and better than everyone else.

in MMA and tennis the value edge is most often on the under-appreciated dog...but when it appears as it only-occasionally does here and acts to overly-cheapen the price on the fave...you got that sweet "gift horse in the mouth" that all the over-thinkers just can't pull the trigger on...
You're kidding, you're telling me that there is occasionally value in Dogs AND Favorites? Depending on the situation too?!

the premature (not over/just premature...let Dana feed Gus or Rumble to the Pilsbury-LHW first before you cream your shorts over his chances) value-bubble has clearly formed on the ridiculously small-favorited Jones here...

setting aside my usual dog-loving/fave-suspicious inclinations...i find myself squarely on the same side of this matchup as Snapper, Jibster, Marzy, and Todster...
So it's not over value just premature, because if he somehow beats the guys that YOU find to be a true relative judge of his skills, then he has a chance. Gotcha.

win or lose Jones at just -150ish is clealy the play here...that or nothing...anything else is buying into overly-blown (relative to DC's LHW resume here...which sports to date exactly ZERO truly top-teir 205'ers...) Zuffa marketing

sometime the sharpest thing to do is just not turn down the obvious gift embedded in the price

God damn dude, get over yourself.