Originally posted on 06/28/2014:

Guy got fukked 8 years ago

Glad he is back in spotlight on Fox

Eight years after firing by ESPN, he’s come full circle to replace Tim McCarver at Fox

Nearly eight years ago Reynolds went from being a rising star on ESPN’s 'Baseball Tonight' studio show to finding himself 'on the balls of his a--' after being fired for reasons ESPN never publicly provided.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 4:21 PM
Updated: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 6:59 PM

• A
  • A
  • A

DOUG PENSINGER/GETTY IMAGES
Harold Reynolds (l.), fired by ESPN in 2006, is recently named to replace Tim McCarver at Fox.

From a distance the broadcasting career of Harold Reynolds comes off as fiction. The story of a guy trapped in the darkness of scandal desperately seeking the light of redemption. And when that light finally hit him it was bigger and brighter than even he could imagine.
Someone was reminding Reynolds of all this. Reminding him the word “comeback” does not adequately describe his story. Reynolds listened while he was reminded that nearly eight years ago (July 2006) he went from being a rising star on ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight” studio show to finding himself on the balls of his ass after being fired for reasons ESPN never publicly provided.
Until it was leaked to the media that he was dismissed for allegedly sexually harassing an intern. Reynolds said it was just a “brief and innocuous hug.”
No matter. The fall was hard and immediate. In less than 24 hours his promising career disintegrated. Instead of going underground, staying there until the smoke finally cleared, Reynolds was defiant. Not only did he emphatically and publicly proclaim his innocence, Reynolds slapped a lawsuit on Disney-owned ESPN. The negative ramifications of his decision were apparent.
This was more than risky business. It was the actions of a troublemaker, a malcontent who TV execs have little use or tolerance for. They would rather see a guy like Reynolds get lost, lick his wounds, and come crawling back in a year or two.
The suits know baseball analysts are a dime a dozen, highly expendable. Reynolds now happened to be one who dared to take on sports television’s version of Godzilla. Reynolds had every reason to believe he would never work again.
He could live with that. Reynolds had no choice. It was more important to change the perception, one that didn’t match who he really was. Walking this high wire without a safety net was worth it if he could get his name and reputation back.
Slowly, those familiar with Reynolds’ true DNA began checking things out, including the “incident” that got him fired. MLB.com was first to hire him in July 2007 to work the All-Star Game. In April 2008, Reynolds reached a seven-figure out-of-court settlement with ESPN. Along came SportsNet New York, hiring him to work its Mets studio 21 months after he was fired by ESPN. TBS used him in their MLB studio. And since 2009, when MLB Network launched, Reynolds has been featured on “MLB Tonight.”
Last week, the light of ultimate redemption bowled Reynolds over when Fox named he and Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck as replacements for Hall of Famer Tim McCarver in its World Series booth.
Now, someone on the other end of a telephone is preaching to Reynolds, reminding him just how done he was eight years ago only to now find himself on top of the heap of all baseball microphones.
“It’s unbelievable,” the voice said. “Unbelievable.”
“Yeah,” Reynolds said. “I don’t know what else to say to you. God had his hands on me.”
Divine intervention did help. Yet included in Reynolds’ past, present, and future are heavyweight executives who he impressed when he was a player and during his early days in broadcasting.
“Through this whole thing I learned one important lesson,” Reynolds said. “Your yesterdays will affect your tomorrows. Who you really are will shine through to people who know you, even in tough times.”
Men such as Commissioner Bud Selig; Tim Brosnan, MLB’s executive vice-president of business; Curt Gowdy Jr., SNY’s executive producer; and MLB Network boss Tony Petitti; all knew what Reynolds was about and stood by him.
“They are powerful men but they are honest men,” Reynolds said. “They really opened some doors. But I had to work. I had to do my part.”
Even with that kind of support, Reynolds often felt alone. Only he could provide the resolve to regain his dignity, take ESPN on in court, and find his way back to a career path. There were some unexpected moments and situations.
After he was fired by ESPN, Reynolds realized this was the first time since he was a kid he wasn’t totally involved in baseball. He didn’t abandon the game, but wound up watching an entire season from a fan’s perspective. Reynolds realized he would be able to incorporate this into his analysis, until it quickly dawned on him he needed a job before he could ever again deliver any baseball opinions.
“When you are faced with what I was faced with you realize, over and over, you may not be working again,” Reynolds said. “That’s why I had to fight it (being terminated by ESPN). I also knew I was right. Losing was not an option. I had to win.”
All his baseball playing life, Reynolds could see the game evolve in front of him. “Dick Williams (who he played for) always used to say ‘the situation will dictate what happens,’” Reynolds said. “He always said I should think like a manager.”
Unfortunately Williams’ teachings were not applicable while Reynolds was living a life of uncertainty. He could only see the situations in front of him were out of his control. It’s not like Reynolds is reluctant to talk about his past, but he sure sounded like the time is right to put it all behind.
The only obstacles left to conquer are welcome ones, job related. Like the challenge of working in front of millions of eyeballs on baseball’s biggest stage. And replacing a legendary broadcaster in a three-man booth under more scrutiny, more nit-picking, than he’s ever experienced.
In an odd way, the personal challenge, his climb back, might provide a certain kind of toughness, a double-thick skin. Yet no matter what happens, his own adversity has left some lessons behind.
They apply to those who have the deck stacked against them. Or those who know they are right and might be reluctant to fight the power. And those who are still interested in being for real, no matter how they are perceived. And yes, those still looking for that one ultimate surprise.
“I just wanted to get back working,” Reynolds said “I could have never imagined this ending up with the opportunity to do the World Series.”
Harold Reynolds should pinch himself.
Just to make sure.