Originally posted on 02/09/2014:

ATP Rotterdam
Del Potro is the top seed and defending champion. This will be his first match since his Australian Open flameout. Interestingly, he gets the exact same opening draw again with Monfils. This time though, Monfils is in blistering form as he comes off the Montpellier title. Murray took a wildcard to play here. He's an interesting entry as his next scheduled tournament is in a couple weeks in Mexico. As the 3rd seed, Berdych comes in off a couple of nice Davis Cup wins on this indoor surface. This could be a nice spot for him if Del Potro has some troubles. Gasquet as the 4th seed comes in off a nice run in Montpellier, but he's hit & miss at this tournament, more often ...miss.

Del Potro Quarter
A rough quarter here. I would be surprised to see Del Potro run through here. Delpo reportedly sought treatment for a left wrist injury after the Aussie Open. He had a long period of inactivity and has admitted a loss of muscle mass in his left arm. If he survives Monfils, Mahtieu or Dodig awaits and then Dimitrov, Tursunov, Istomin or Gulbis comes from the bottom of the quarter. This should be very competitive. Dimitrov has a chance to further his growth in this quarter. We'll see if it's new the Grigor or the same old, same old. For me, if Delpo flops ... Dimitrov can push through here.

Berdych Quarter
Berdych's draw looks promising. He opens against Seppi and then gets Mahut or Simon. Haas is the 6th seed in the bottom of this quarter with Jerzy Janowicz and Benneteau floating here. Haas proved healthy in Zagreb last week, making the Final before losing to Cilic. I would not be shocked though to see him show some fatigue in back to back tournaments and lose early. Verdasco is first-up for him. I think this is Berdych's quarter.

Gasquet Quarter
Gasquet has a decent draw if motivated. de Bakker to open, but then a tricky one against Kohlschreiber or Stakhovsky. Youzhny is the seed on top of this quarter, but he comes in off a poor loss to Phau in Zagreb. His opener against Sijsling could be a one and done. Huta Galung & Berrer faceoff in the other opener. Both Dutchman are wildcards and don't have great track records here. If Gasquet doesn't look engaged in this quarter, I'd expect an unseeded player to come through. Given the track record in Rotterdam for non-seeds to get to a semi, this might be the bracket to produce one.

Murray Quarter
Murray has some competition in his quarter. Roger-Vasselin to open is no slouch. Nieminen or Thiem would be next. On top of the quarter, Tsonga is the seed with a tricky opener against Florian Mayer. The winner there goes likely against Zagreb Champ Cilic who starts off with Rosol. This could be a good spot for Tsonga if he's in the mood. Murray has an easier road though. I would expect Murray or Tsonga out of this quarter.

1st Round Upset Alert
Monfils over Del Potro
Stakhovsky over Kohlschreiber
Sijsling over Youzhny
Verdasco over Haas

Futures Watch
Berdych +500
Dimitrov +1800