Originally posted on 09/07/2011:

Quote Originally Posted by sunzal View Post
And just because the government has decided not to prosecute doesn't mean it's not a law....it may very well be true that no gamblers have been prosecuted for gambling online, but that is a DOJ decision...they don't make the laws, they enforce them

On the Wire Act...Congressman Emanuel Celler, Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee stated "[t]his bill only gets after the bookmaker, the gambler who makes it his business to take bets or to lay off bets. . . It does not go after the causal gambler who bets $2 on a race.

Doesn't get much clearer on the purpose of the law. Celler by the way was Chairman of the House Judiciary when this bill went through his committee.

Quote Originally Posted by sunzal View Post
This guy is actually calling us idiots and making up laws? Internet gambling is absolutely no doubt about it illegal....the few arguments that some lawyers try to make about certain states having language that is too broad make a valid effort, but would never stand up in court....there is no doubt about it, none at all, that it is illegal....i will never undertstand people who know nothing about the law and have obviously never read any of the statutes yet somehow decide in their own head that it should be legal and thinks that makes it legal....i would love to ask this guy if he ever looked anything up or did he just decide that his logic must be right....just because it's a dumb law doesn't mean it's not law....in fact there are both federal andstate statutes being violated...that being said that Miami loss tonight is just painful
Since you are responding as an obvious expert on this topic, please cite the statutes, Justice Department, Congress, or Supreme Court comments as I have. Just because you say you are an expert doesn't make you on. Back up your opinion with the actual laws.

I am waiting for someone to provide me a Federal statute that makes it illegal to be a GAMBLER offshore. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT.

The Wire Act and UIGEA make it illegal to take wagers over the phone and take money from US gamblers. The illegality of offshore gambling resides with the bookmaker and not with the gambler. The gambler betting offshore is doing nothing illegal under the law. The bookmaker is!

Nobody is saying the "business" of offshore gambling is legal. It is clearly illegal under both the Wire Act and UIGEA. The act of being a GAMBLER is not illegal on the Federal level and that is what I am arguing.