Originally posted on 09/23/2013:

Alex Smith is not an average QB. He may have only 3 passes that have exceeded twenty yards this year, but that's just how he plays. He takes what the opposing defense gives him, and puts his team in position to win.

He's one of the big reasons why the defense has performed well so far this year(Along with Poe, and Houston). When you don't turn the ball over, and keep your teams defense of the field for than a couple minutes its a big morale boost, and gives you defense confidence.

Also keep in mind the Chiefs Recieving corps is tied for first in drops so far this year, and I think they still need a deep threat and should look for one in the draft next year.

He doesn't put up the hearty #'s that Rodgers or Manning put up, but for now that's fine with me.

I'm a big Chiefs fan, and was skeptical when we traded for him initially but after reading articles, examining his #'s and what he's done so far this year. I'd say he's anything but an average QB and he is beginning to win me over.

Also keep in mind he has the best record out all QB's over the past couple years. Lots of 9ers fans on forums and bleacherreport say that SF didn't know what they had in Smith and may regret ditching him for Kaepernick in time.

As far as who gets the last laugh?... I'm not sure and won't be until the Chiefs play Denver (though @ Tennessee should be a good test), but I'm confident Smith will be around for the next five years and the Chiefs will be playoff contenders during that span.