Originally posted on 08/03/2013:

Reading you guys post about Jimmie was interesting to say the least.

It takes so much in todays NASCAR to be the best and Jimmie is one of the few that has the total package. Even if you take Chad out of the equation I believe Jimmie would still be at the top of the best driver list. I will agree that Kyle is arguably the best 25 lap shoot out driver out there currently. He has nerves of steel and has shown he'll put his car in spots where it will barely fit and sometimes not fit at all! Jimmie is a much more methodical driver and understands that you can't win the race in the first 100 laps but you certainly can lose it. Jimmie takes care of his equipment and tries to put himself in a position to be able to compete for the win at the end. He does this with various strategies including riding around at the back most of the day at restrictor plate tracks. These tactics are DEFINITELY boring at times but they are winning tactics. Kyle has admitted in several interviews that he doesn't take care of his equipment for the entire race and he often burns the right rear off. He is also one of the WORST at recovering from a mishap. He either tries to get it all back immediately or gets down on himself and just blows up. After Kyle's first few years I made a 10,000 bet that in ten years he would have more championships than Kurt..but unfortunately I was very wrong. I expected Kyle to mature and get away from that "wreckers or checkers" mentality. It's very exciting for the fans but it doesn't win championships. In a recent interview Dale Jarrett said that most people do not realize just how good Jimmie Johnson is. Not only the 48 team but Jimmie's driving style itself.

Jimmie did show that he was human when he allowed the restarting issue to get in his head and he tried to prove a point to NASCAR. That was definitely a mistake and he only hurt himself..BUT he recovered and got back on track.

I don't know of any legitimate argument that can be made that Jimmie is not the best in NASCAR currently..individual wins, championships, composure, average finishes, adaptability to every track and any changes that have been thrown at him.