Originally posted on 09/25/2012:

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
If that is true I'd like to see some evidence. I always thought it was the Vegas lobby. I also suspect they're behind the mostly unfounded negative publicity against horse racing, earlier this year in the NY Times. Clearly a bought-and-paid-for article, but by who? Turns out tracks can get themselves out of the hard times by putting slot machines, etc, on the premises. Suddenly everything turns around. Bigger purses, better races, etc. Good times are back. The only guys who wouldn't want to see that, or anything that would keep people from flying into Vegas? By comparison, the NFL has no reason at all to go against gambling. What for? They know 'everybody' bets on the games. Cutting off gambling would cut the audience in half.
The NFL is THE force behind online gambling prohibition. They are terrified of a point shaving scandal ruining the golden goose. Of course they know gambling drives the audience to see the games, they just can't APPEAR like they support it. I think it's a warped view as do most, but there's no denying their influence. Heck, Eric Holder himself, our Attorney General, used to represent the NFL when he was at a hot shot law firm, and there's no doubt he aided the crackdown of poker sites. Why do you think the NFL went after Delaware so hard when Delaware approved single game football wagering. The judge never gave Delaware a chance, that's how powerful the NFL is.

I don't have time to dig out all the Martin Gold stuff, but you can google him with NFL and UIGEA, and you'll get some stuff. But the NFL still spends millions lobbying congress on internet gambling, and if you want to see some hard evidence, I'll give you this link to one of their lobbying reports for a quarter where they spent $300,000 lobbying against online gambling (and a few other issues). This is a required document they must file. I hope the link works.

http://soprweb.senate.gov/index.cfm?...4-52fe5cf39552