So many people need and deserve this help, do not get me wrong.....but so many people abuse it. There is help for food, help for medical benefits, even help to pay your electricity and utilities. But get this.....the state wont help you pay for utilities, UNTIL you get a shut off notice....they actually give you incentive to not pay your utility bill.....because once you get the shutoff notice, the state will step in and help you pay it off once a year.

I would imagine 15-20% are lying and abusing the system. These days though, there are too many people who actually use the benefits correctly and need the help, that the state is pretty much handcuffed in what they can do. It is very common for someone to sell their EBT card for 50% of it's worth.

On the flip side....I dont think we should get into the habit of telling people what they can spend their money on. If its cake that they want, instead of good food, well I guess that's up to them. Shame though. So many families are brought up this way and taught to strive for nothing more. Heartbreaking really.