I've seriously thought about voting for Ron Paul despite being a lifelong progressive/liberal/democrat. I like his stances on the wars and drug policy.

However, there are multiple positions that I cannot reconcile with:

Ron Paul wants to eliminate public education. Libertarians see public education as a system of evil government indoctrination. Specifically, Ron Paul thinks it is evil to teach kids about evolution and the merits of birth control, and I couldn't disagree more strongly. I would not want someone dumb enough to believe in creationism in charge of my country again. I find the notion embarrassing.

Ron Paul is opposed to gay marriage. Though he sees the "best case scenario" as government non intervention in marriage, he doesn't want gay marriage legal anywhere because then "other states would be compelled to accept it."

Ron Paul wants to outlaw abortion. I strongly disagree.

I find it very strange that Ron Paul's personal opinions about evolution, abortion, and race (I can't dismiss the newsletter thing) line up so closely with what he wants the government to do about those issues.

I also find it odd that Ron Paul won't let the states legislate on gay marriage because they "might compel other states" to acknowledge the marriages, but has no problem with the reverse on gun laws.

Overall, Ron Paul is another crappy republican with a few good ideas. Since he still would have to deal with congress as President, it is likely only that he would tear down civil rights, reproductive rights, and education, and fail at ending the wars and drug war. I do not see a Ron Paul presidency as an effective solution to the country's liberty problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
That's all you got crustyme? If you stopped spending money that don't you have you could probably save up enough to become an SBR Pro.
Also this is an "ad hominem" attack and doesn't help your case.