OAKLAND, Calif. (AP)—A trade that had been in the works to send right-hander Rich Harden(notes) from the Oakland Athletics to the Boston Red Sox fell through late Saturday, a person with knowledge of the negotiations said.

Harden isn’t headed for Beantown after all. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the private nature of such talks.

The pitcher said after Saturday night’s 8-3 win over Minnesota that general manager Billy Beane told him he was staying put and would start Tuesday. The Red Sox and A’s had been close to agreeing on the swap that would have sent Harden to Boston and brought Triple-A first baseman Lars Anderson(notes) to the A’s.

Apparently Executive Vice President/General Manager of the Boston Red Sox Theo Epstein was in a late night meeting with Oakland GM Billy Beane when Epstein had a flatulence that was so putrid that it killed the deal. "I'm normally pretty tolerant" said Beane "but that was so putrid I could taste it. Not only is this deal cancelled because of Epstein's lack of professionalism but at no point in the future will I be sitting in the same room as that $%#ing slob."

"It was my mistake. I had some cabbage with dinner and I don't hold that well. I hope Mr. Beane can realize it was a mistake and that we can do business in the future".

Wow, just wow.