slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

What happens to Nick Barnett?

With AJ Hawk inking a fresh deal and Bishop's new deal last season, Nick Barnett seems to be the odd man out in Green Bay. The latest rumor is that the Packers are shopping him around to other teams. My question is whether the Packers will be able to get some trade value for Barnett and where will he go, what is he worth? I think Barnett is probably worth a middle round pick because there's a lot of need for MLB and not a lot of supply on the free agent market right now, but I'm kinda curious what people think. Here's the list of potiential teams: Bills, Bengals, Browns, Broncos, Bucs, Chargers, Chiefs, Giants, Lions, Redskins.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

he's gotta go .. too many injuries and he is starting to fall outta favor ... not sure if it will be a deal or just a straight cut

slacker00

It sounds like nothing will happen on this until the CBA is finalized. I'm kinda thinking this might be a draft day deal. Although, I don't really see a single MLB in the draft that could be a legitimate day 1 starter for any team. With Barnett, a team would have a day 1 starter and the 10 teams listed above all need a day 1 starter at MLB.

Of the teams listed, I feel like the Chargers are probably the best fit because they are not in a rebuilding mode and need instant productivity. Most of the other teams are more in a rebuilding mode and are more apt to build through the draft with younger players. I guess a lot also depends on fit, maybe the Bengals, Giants or Redskins could take a shot on Barnett if they felt it would fit their scheme and/or their team personality. The Lions are maybe the most intriguing team, where Barnett's divisional experience could help get the Lions over the hump as far as disarming their divisional rivals.

As for Nick Barnett's injury history, I don't really think it's a trend for him. Look at Ray Lewis and Brian Uhrlacher, who both had 2 season ending injuries in the middle of their career, but both came back as strong as ever. MLB is a brutal position even for the very best.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

With what Nicky is making, I'd be shocked if the Packers got the 'normal' 5th rounder for him. He's making too much and he's always been the fastest piece of crap on the football field since Mike Sherman took him down.
    I always got pissed, as a Packer fan, when Barnett did his samurai crap after tackling a guy after shooting a gap. Big deal, you weren't blocked and made a play. In all the time I've seen Barnett play, he's shed a total of 0 blockers to make that 'Samurai" play. The guy is fast as all heck, but he is terrible as a MLB. Hardy Nickerson, whlist done, was better, IMO. Barnett is best served playing the "will" position somewhere else. He's worse than Hawk, and I think Hawk has only 5ish games under his belt where I believe the guy can play. Barnett also, IMO, ran himself out of town being a dickwad about team photos. I'm not happy about Finley talking shite, either, but Barnett, likely will be on the streets shortly and earning a dickload less. I expect more from the Packer's MLB. He's about him, not the team. That's a bad spot to be a wank.

Marlin23
    Marlin23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mlb View Post
    he's gotta go .. too many injuries and he is starting to fall outta favor ... not sure if it will be a deal or just a straight cut
    Okay ... you are all talking about the assumptions so far. How about the latest one. Is he playing or he is out of the game... And if so, fir how much time?

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin23 View Post
    Okay ... you are all talking about the assumptions so far. How about the latest one. Is he playing or he is out of the game... And if so, fir how much time?
    huh?