Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Seymour, Pats agree to long-term extension

Four-time Pro Bowl performer Richard Seymour, one of the league's most dominant and versatile front four defenders, on Wednesday reached agreement with the New England Patriots on a long-term contract extension, ESPN.com has learned.

Neither the terms nor the financial details of the contract were immediately available. But several league sources said on Wednesday evening that the extension is for four years, through the 2010 season, and worth about $30 million, which would make Seymour one of the highest-paid defenders in the league, regardless of position.

The contract was forwarded to the NFL for review on Wednesday afternoon and likely will be officially executed later this week.

Seymour, 26, was entering the final season of his contract and scheduled to earn a 2006 base salary of $2.02 million. Without the extension, Seymour would have been eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring, but New England officials would never have permitted him to reach the open market and probably would have used a franchise designation, if necessary, to retain him.

Dissatisfied with his contract last spring, Seymour skipped much of the Patriots' early offseason workouts. The two sides subsequently worked out their differences, with the Patriots enhancing the 2005 portion of his existing contract and essentially promising to pursue a long-term extension.

At the annual NFL meetings in Orlando two weeks ago, one high-ranking New England official, aware of criticism from some Patriots fans that the team had not made many significant offseason moves despite a wealth of salary cap room, cited the ongoing negotiations with Seymour as one reason the club needed to maintain a healthy cap status.

"I'm not saying we'll get something done [with Seymour] but, in the event we can move this thing forward, we need to have the room to do it if the opportunity is there," the official said at the time.

The former University of Georgia star is a great fit for the Bill Belichick defense because of his ability to dominate at two positions. Seymour possesses a rare blend of strength and quickness, can play both the one- and two-gap styles and provides the Pats a player for whom opposition offensive coordinators and line coaches must game-plan.

In the 3-4 front that serves as the New England "base" defense, Seymour usually plays end. He moves inside to tackle when the Pats switch into a 4-3 front and also on some passing downs. Although he has been principally named to the Pro Bowl as an interior lineman, Seymour wreaks havoc, it seems, no matter where he is aligned.

A first-round choice in the 2001 draft and the sixth prospect selected overall that year, Seymour was an immediate starter as a rookie. The only thing that has slowed him, in fact, is injuries. In 71 appearances, including 67 starts, Seymour has 316 tackles, 25½ sacks, three forced fumbles, three recoveries and 19 passes defensed.

Last season, Seymour played in and started 12 games and registered 69 tackles and four sacks.

jbbulldawg2003@hotmail.co
    jbbulldawg2003@hotmail.co's Avatar Become A Pro!

thats right!!! PATS BACK ON TOP FOR THE '06 (07 for the madden fans out there)

The Great One
    The Great One's Avatar Become A Pro!

No, the pats are not a good team. Vinatieri was their most clutch player and if they were not in the weakest division in the histroy of football ,they would not even be allowed in the playoffs last year.

P.S.: I hate the Boston accent too. It should ber illeagal and bu punished by torture.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One
    No, the pats are not a good team. Vinatieri was their most clutch player and if they were not in the weakest division in the histroy of football ,they would not even be allowed in the playoffs last year.

P.S.: I hate the Boston accent too. It should ber illeagal and bu punished by torture.

The pats have many clutch performers, not just Vinatieri. Tom Brady, Dieon Branch, Tedy Bruschi. THey are made out of clutch players, not to mention their defense is still formidable. they will win at LEAST 11 games next year.

The Great One

You're probably one of those fools that think Brady is better than manning becauase he has "three Super Bowl rings".

I get so sick of this argument.

Brady goess out and throws for 110 yards while manning throws for 350 yards and 5TD's sometimes and still loses. It doesn't matter because since SB's are the way to say your a great QB, I guess Manning can't compete with Dilfer and Brad Johnson

With that division, the Colts and ther pats should win at least 12 games next year as each team only has one other "real" team in their division.

I dont think the 3 rings make Brady better, i just think that Brady has peformed better in the clutch, which is what makes a QB great. Im a new England fan, but i can honestly say that if Peyton had a spine, Indy would have 2 Superbowl rings by now. But the reality is that he doesent, and Brady does. Therefore Brady is the better quaterback, Manning is simply a better athlete for now.

I mean the Colts have lost in the playoffs the last 2 years to teams they had every reason to beat. The 2004 Patriots and the 2005 Steelers. You cant tell me that has nothing to do with Manning being inept in the playoffs. Peyton chokes, Brady doesent its pretty simple if u ask me.

And throwing for 5 TDs a game against inferior comp doesent impress me. Kurt Warner did it for years and look where he is now.
    Last edited by jbbulldawg2003@hotmail.co; 04-15-06 at 08:45 PM.

The Great One

Yeah, Brady looked real clutch in the playoffs with that 100+yard interception to champ that put the game away. If N.E. is the favorite at home with the better record in the playoffs and are favored, but the Colts lose, they did not choke. NEW ENGLAND WAS FAVORED TO WIN

I really get sick of this and have to try to keep replying because I can't beleive how stupid people can be when it come to this. I wish I could get all you accent impaired people together, have the floor for 30 minutes to explain this simple argument, at least 50% of you people would walkawayunderstanding the truth. The other 50% didn't have a chance anyway so i'd just have to let them get back to their custodial work.

And by the way, the game I was talking about where Manning threw for 5 TD's and over 350 yards and still LOST was in the regular season @K.C. who ended up with the second best record in the AFC that year which gave them the bye and when Manning showed up in the playoffs, the Colts won @ K.C. the Colts won and did not put the entire game for the second straight week.

Im not saying that Peyton isnt good, its jsut that Tom Brady is better. you talk about one clutch game where Brady screwed up(by the way, the line opened with pats as 3 point underdogs), when in Peyton's case you can think of plenty of times he screwed up in the clutch.

Peyton Manning is the best regular season QB of all time, im not doubting that. But in the playoffs i can name plenty of quaterbacks I'd rather have on teh roster. You would be lying through your teeth if you ever said Manning has a history of showing up in big games. It isnt a homer thing, its just the truth.

Im not saying Brady is the footbal god or the GOAT, but right now he is the best. If Peyton starts throwing 5TDs against formidable defenses in the clutch, then I'll say he's the best. Until then, he's just another Dan Marino

BTW, why the hell does every pats hater bring up Peyton for gods sake? pick another team to beat the pats, the pats have owned them for years. why not talk about Denver or Oakland? at least they have a history of beating the Pats when it matters.
    Last edited by jbbulldawg2003@hotmail.co; 04-16-06 at 12:58 PM.