According to a league source, Patriots rookie linebacker Brandon Spikes has been suspended by the NFL for four games for violating the league’s banned substance rule. The suspension was first reported by the Boston Herald.

Spikes reportedly will not appeal the suspension and hopes to return for the playoffs. The Patriots selected Spikes with the 62nd overall pick of the 2010 NFL draft after his four-year career at Florida. Spikes is currently fourth on the team with 61 tackles this season.

Spikes issued a statement through the team on the incident: “I’ve been contacted by the NFL and informed that I will be suspended four games for the detection of an illegal substance in a drug test. The substance was a medication that I should have gotten clarification on before taking. It was not a performance enhancer or an illegal drug. The integrity of the game is very important to me. I understand the league’s ruling and apologize to my teammates, the fans and the Patriots organization for this mistake.”

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...pended-4-games